Advice for new S&E TL

Finally got off the bench & making the transition from beauty to TL for S&E! Any advice on the transition? Anything you wish you knew before becoming a tl in general?

Congratulations!
  • Start as you mean to go on.
  • Find one leader in your store whose work you admire and ask them to help you adjust and give you feedback (preferably not the other SETL).
  • I assume that there is another TL in place already, so don't come in with a laundry list of things you want to change right away, but, remember that you are not the Assistant SETL either.
  • Work on building the partnership with your other SETL. NEVER gossip with the team about him (or other team members). Not one comment. Not one time.
  • If you are being sent out to train, ask every question you can think of, and if they are just using you as a cashier, tell your store that you need to go somewhere else. I would go so far as to say that you should spend 0 time on a register while training at another store. If your trainer jumps on, just stand and watch.
  • When you get back to your store, print 2 weeks of grids, and make time to speak with each of your team members. Find out a little bit about each of them, and share a bit about yourself. Some will have a lot to say, and that is fine.
  • Learn the following: "I've never done that before. Can you please show me?" "What do you need from me?" "Thank-you"

Congratulations on the promotion! Yetive gave very good advice above. I've only been doing it 4 months and I'm still a bit green, so I'll keep it to 3 things about time management.

• Get into routines, especially for the things you do at the start of your shift and around breaks and lunches. You have a ton of TMs and a ton of little things to look after.
  • Get good at delegating. You will be better and faster at the small tasks than most of your team, but your time is too limited to get bogged down. You are needed out front of the registers when busy.
  • Take time to go through guest surveys, metrics, etc. They will tell you a lot about how your FOS is functioning, and actually making the time to do this is a worthy challenge in itself.

Back