Archived Advice needed - how bad is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So today I was called into the office by my ETL HR and GSTL. I have been a GSA for a month and a half. The told me in their own nice and indirect way that they are unhappy with my performance. They said I was behind where I should be given the amount of time in the position. They printed out a core roles sheet and specified three main areas needing improvement:

1. Redcards - they say I need to get the cashiers to get more
2. Response and execution of guest first - they said it isn't that I do not call it enough but rather that I do not speed-weave during and before guest first
3. Vibing with guests - they said I do this very well as cashier and guest service but I shut off when I am GSTLing.

They were nice but I got the impression that the next time they speak with me about something will be a write up. The ETL GE said they were non-negotiable and that if something does not change .... you know.

This is very bad right? Do you think I can turn it around or are they trying to get rid of me?

Well they told you what you need to do.

REDCards - They can't actually technically hold you accountable for this metric. In all honesty your ETL-GE should have been coaching your GSTL on this just as much if not more. Just try and find incentives to get cashiers to get REDCards (silly as it sounds...) Ask your GSTL(s) for support on driving this, and if you feel like you aren't receiving the proper feedback&support, I would challenge upwards. You aren't going to get REDCards if your GSTL isn't.

Guests First - Try and maintain a presence in front of the checklanes as often as possible. Even if there are no large waits, ask approaching guests if they are ready to check out, and direct them to the shortest lane. If express is backed up, send guests to Photo/Guest Service. When speedweaving its good to help take hangers off clothing items and assist with items under their cart. Make sure cashiers on your shift know to hit the Additional Assistance button when there is a backup.

Vibing with guests - Just go up to people checking out and talk to them. Maybe talk up the REDCard for inexperienced cashiers. Basically what they're looking for is for you to be sociable with guests when you are GSA.

I don't think they are trying to get rid of you (Why would they have allowed you to transfer in the first place?), rather they are just telling you [nicely] that you need to improve your performance. We all told you GSA wasn't a walk in the park.

I'm sure you can turn everything around :) Don't make me have to say I told you so :p

Last edited by a moderator:
they call you into the office because they don't like you. when i was gsa they told me things like that in a friendly manner while i was on the floor working.

that is not true at all. I've had a pretty similar discussion with one of my GSA's and i pulled her into the office out of respect for her so that someone wouldn't overhear us talking. You don't have work performance discussions out on the floor in front of other team members and guests.

These ARE your core roles and if you aren't comfortable meeting them, then GSA isn't for you. I promise you, the GSTl and ETL HR would much rather see you succeed than train another GSA. They're only trying to help you.

Next time you have an opportunity, thank them for their insight and if they didn't give suggestions on how to improve, ask them for help. They'll love that!

I think you've also discovered why they've burned through so many GSAs there.
Follow the advice above & do your best.

Even though team metrics aren't your responsibility, try and do your best. The last thing you want is the leaders to want you gone. It all goes downhill from there.

I'll take my chances. Don't care about anyone but myself. I get joy out of scanning everything in a location, checking to see if there are more in the location than the system thinks, and m-deleting. I never do it falsely though.

God, I wish they weren't the responsibility of the GSAs at our store. But they are tracking how many red cards the cashiers get on our shifts. The entire REDcard thing is the main thing I hate about working at Spot.

Keep cashiers motived to ask about the RedCard. Document any cashiers not habitually not asking guests about the red cards, and forward that to the GSTL.

Speed Weave is a really big thing right now since cashier shifts are really limited. And Salesfloor is basically not or rarely able to supply any backup assistance. If a guest has ten or less items, then direct them to guest service/photo.

Vibing. More like breath down a guests throat all the while they are trying to get out of the store. I am glad I never worked under this absurd practice. Just make it look like you are just not standing around. If you are not managing the cashiers, schedule, or vibing, they think you are wasting time. Same with cashiers. If they are not checking out a guest, then they want them zoning the immediate area. For you, just get in the habit of zoning, Speed Weave, help with bagging if you can, ask guests if they need assistance with a bulky item, chat with elderly guests, talk to parents with kids, safety stickers for kids, approach guests with big purchases and talk up the RedCard, just ask guests if they found everything they wanted. If you notice a cashier doesn't offer any incentive to the Red Card, just chime in with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back