Archived Advice on becoming a TL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this is where I should post this, if not I apologize.

I've been a GSA for a little over a year now and have recently (within 3 months) have made it clear to my STL, Sr GSTL, and ETL HR that I want to be developed and become a TL because once I finish my schooling I plan to apply to stores for an ETL position.

For starters my STL loves me, he was very receptive to the idea. I've also talked to my ETL-GE, someone who isn't always the happiest or nicest, and they were surprising receptive as well.

HOWEVER, today my ETL-HR pulled me aside and said that in order for me to develop they want me to 'take initiative of my own development" .. basically they want me to go above and beyond. I know how to do this up front, I've pretty much mastered running the front end without my GSTL while multitasking (getting carts, covering Starbucks and food ave, etc.) however she stressed that she also wants to see this on the floor..

I've been scheduled for three salesfloor shifts next week and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas or advice on how to really stand out on the floor? It's never been my strong point and my GSTL is transferring in June and I really want to be considered for the position.

Thanks in advance!!

Ask your leadership what sort of developmental tasks they can challenge you with. I began to take more ownership of my team as I transitioned to TL. I had convos with cashiers that were bottom performers and tracked their improvements (or lack thereof) week-to-week. On the salesfloor, you want to leverage your GSA role to essentially exhibit the behaviors of a Salesfloor TL. Ask your LOD at the time how you can help lead the team for the night, they should be willing to take you under their wing. I can imagine they're looking for you to impact behaviors of other TMs, build a plan for improving sales (on a small scale at first), strengthen routines around reshop, zone, etc.

What times are your salesfloor shifts at?

If they're in the morning, look for opportunities to make up missed sales. Scan for outs, especially on ends. Do you know how to pull batches? Express interest there so that you can take care of the task start to finish. Don't let this keep you from anything that they may want done though. Reshop and the like should be done first, as you don't want it to pile up and become a burden on your closing team. If you can't find anything to do, ask a TL if they need help with something. Other TLs are a big driving factor in getting promoted. You don't need to schmooze them, just be helpful.

Is it a closing shift? In that case, you're going to be confined to a zone. Get done in a timely manner, let them know, and see if there's another area behind that you can help with.

Reactions: Him
Our GSTL (former GSA) was first sales floor for a little while but then moved over to GSA I believe after a month or two. He is a guy who is always known as "funny" and loveable but from what I heard he was a dick when he switched over to GSTL.

From what I've seen, they do want you to be able to do the floor, you should know the store and be able to take guests places, or if not with confidence ask where it is and not to be confused. If I were you, just show confidence. You basically are a leader. So if your store is like mine, where when people ask for backup- do it without hesitation. When people ask for help in certain areas, be quick. When a call box gets hit, and you can't make it, ask who's getting it or try to get it yourself - don't tell people to do a bunch of things however and you not do anything at all.

This is the problem with Target and why they can't retain any strong talent. If someone with potential asks for help moving up, they should get that help, not be told to "take initiative" That's a poor response from a so called leader.

Find a team lead who is well liked by everyone, ask them to teach you things once a week. Have the team lead learning plan printed and make a schedule for them to teach you something from that each week.

The best way to get promoted (and stay promoted) is to already know the job you're going for, then when it opens, you're the easy choice.

This is the problem with Target and why they can't retain any strong talent. If someone with potential asks for help moving up, they should get that help, not be told to "take initiative" That's a poor response from a so called leader.

Right? Isn't asking leadership for development taking initiative?!? What else can a TM do without overstepping our bounds? I've asked a similar question of leadership and felt supported, but I also have this nagging sense of "well...I'm not showing much initiative on my own"...but what am I supposed to do?!? I can't imagine doing anything to show any more 'initiative' than I already am that wouldn't take me away from my normal tasks, which would obviously be a bad idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back