Archived Advice on going straight from TM > ETL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I began working at target less than 2 months ago as a TM, after I graduated from college and couldn't find a "real" job. During my interview I was hired on the spot and I could tell immediately that all the ETL's really liked me. I'm definitely a people person & outgoing, so I got to know everyone quickly. I also immediately & consistently received great feedback. I was told that I was catching on quicker than most and that my zones were perfect. It also got around that I have a degree. About 3 weeks ago, I was approached to become a GSA so I've currently been training for that.

Recently I was approached by my STL to consider becoming an ETL. I was told that, if interested, an interview could be set up & that I'd be at an advantage since my degree is relevant to an ETL position and because I already know a little about how target works. While in college I held a supervisory position for 3 years so I do have some management experience. I am very attentive and have paid attention to the ETL's at my store. I am confident that with adequate training I could take on this position. Now I just need advice :) Is it even possible that I could make this jump? How should I prepare for my potential interview(s)? What is the interview process like? If the subject of salary comes up, what is a reasonable amount to request in this position? Thanks a bunch & sorry for such a long post!

Last edited:
It is possible, but rare. But if ETL is something you're truly interested in, go ahead and interview for it. If you don't get the ETL position, they will most likely offer a TL or SrTL position instead, which will be a bump up from TM and give you the chance to gain more experience.

Just know what you are getting yourself into. There's a big difference between even just TM and TL. Prepare for your interview by finding a mentor to help you. Learn the Leadership Expectations and find examples from your work history that relate to them. Know what is going on in your store, not just your work-center. You can never be too prepared for the interviews. I recommend looking on Glassdoor for some sample questions. They will not be exactly what you're asked but they will give you an idea of what to expect.

Here is a great answer from another thread:

I was in a similar boat and move to ETL, though I had a brief stint as a TL. I had worked for Target for about 7 years -- mostly in the backroom/instocks/flow while working on my degree at the same time. Most of the leadership would always bring the subject up with me, but for the most part, I brushed it off because, like you, I figured once I graduated I'd drop Target and move on. Flash-forward to a few months after graduating and I had had zero luck getting a job anywhere else. My TL at the time approached me about an open Hardlines TL position and encouraged me to apply for it, which I eventually did figuring if I was going to still work for Target, might as well make as much money as possible, right?

I took the position and was now TL of Domestics and Seasonal. This was during the Halloween -> Christmas transition and by the time New Years came around, I was already on my first ETL interview. The whole interview process took about 2 months and I was prepped pretty heavily by the STL and ETLs in the store and officially got offered the ETL position less than 3 months after being promoted to a TL.

I was an ETL Sales Floor for about a year before being relocated to a ULV Logistics fix-up role. Long story short, as of about 7 months ago, I no longer work for Target (by choice) but I have nothing but positive things to say about how they treated me and valued my career track. Even after leaving, my STL from the ULV store still calls to see how I'm doing and I've also gotten calls from the HRBP letting me know that if "things aren't greener on the other side", I'd always be able to come back.

My advice to you to move up quickly.

• Always think of the "total store" vs. getting caught in your individual role and help out everywhere and anywhere to soak up as much information as you can.
  • Watch your ETLs and their routines/leadership skills and don't be afraid to challenge them - they'll appreciate it and it actually looks good for them when you show that leadership strength. One of the big focuses is TM development, this gives them something to report on their Leadership Statuses.
  • Kiss ass when necessary -- sucks to say, but even if your STL likes to talk about the most uninteresting topic for 45 minutes at a time, pretend you're interested
  • Introduce yourself to the DTLs/HRBP/APBP when they walk the stores and tell them about yourself and what you do more-so than just your core roles (how it also impacts the total store).
  • Own something. If something isn't working right or there's something you think your store could do better, don't complain about it like most others will; own it. Develop a plan, idea, or both and talk to your TL/ETL about it.

Of course there's other things, but those are the things that I would say really helped me along the way.

It is possible, but rare. But if ETL is something you're truly interested in, go ahead and interview for it. If you don't get the ETL position, they will most likely offer a TL or SrTL position instead, which will be a bump up from TM and give you the chance to gain more experience.

One thing to be aware of if they do make you the TL/SrTL offer. While there are of course occasional exceptions, the general rule seems to be that once you take one of those positions, it's going to be a while (read: 18 months minimum) before you get another chance to move up to ETL. And the vast majority of TLs never do make that jump. (In my time at Target, 9 years and change at 3 stores, I saw it happen precisely twice. Something else I saw precisely twice, on the other hand, was a (terrible, horrible, about-to-be-fired) TM quitting, then resurfacing as an external-hire ETL less than a year later. Go figure.)

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice! I have browsed several threads here already to get an idea of what I'm up for, but none were the same situation as mine. It seemed like everyone else with this question had years of experience, working for target while they got their degree. My next question is - why would it be so unlikely to happen for a TM who is perfectly capable and qualified & has only worked there for a couple months to make the jump? I understand working there for 7 years before you get a degree gives the subconscious impression that they are "stuck" in that position, even though it shouldn't work that way. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice! I have browsed several threads here already to get an idea of what I'm up for, but none were the same situation as mine. It seemed like everyone else with this question had years of experience, working for target while they got their degree. My next question is - why would it be so unlikely to happen for a TM who is perfectly capable and qualified & has only worked there for a couple months to make the jump? I was told that I am still considered a campus recruit, which is an advantage to me. I understand working there for 7 years before you get a degree gives the subconscious impression that they are "stuck" in that position, even though it shouldn't work that way. Thanks in advance!
apply via ehr & talk to your etl about your future plans with spot. you never know unless you try!

My next question is - why would it be so unlikely to happen for a TM who is perfectly capable and qualified & has only worked there for a couple months to make the jump? I was told that I am still considered a campus recruit, which is an advantage to me. I understand working there for 7 years before you get a degree gives the subconscious impression that they are "stuck" in that position, even though it shouldn't work that way. Thanks in advance!

Oh, yeah, you're definitely in a better position than most--especially since they still consider you a campus recruit. The current corporate mindset is that "fresh off of campus and therefore easily molded into what we want/has no ability to think for himself so he'll only have the ideas we want him to have" is far superior to "actually worked in the field and knows what he's talking about/capable of bringing in ideas that we haven't thought of yet."

My point was simply to warn you that you will only have this advantageous position once. If you don't get the position you want now, you'll likely get stuck in a lower one. Once you've been in that position and Target has had more of a chance to get to know the ways in which you aren't perfect, they'll be less likely to promote you. A promotion from relatively new TM -> ETL is far easier to obtain than one from experienced TL -> ETL.

Gotcha, thanks for the insight. I think in past interviews I didn't care enough if I actually got the position, but this is something I REALLY want so I'm going to do everything I can to make sure that I have the best chance possible.

At what point should I ask my STL about the offer to set up an interview? When we talked I made it clear that I'm interested. It's been almost a week since we talked & we've worked together everyday, so I just don't want to give the impression that I don't care, but also don't want to make it seem like I'm pushy.

At what point should I ask my STL about the offer to set up an interview? When we talked I made it clear that I'm interested. It's been almost a week since we talked & we've worked together everyday, so I just don't want to give the impression that I don't care, but also don't want to make it seem like I'm pushy.

You need to be pushy. If it doesn't seem like you are interested they will not pursue you.

Yes. Ask them what you can do to help start the process. If you're going to be considered a campus recruit, they may have you apply through a job fair at the local college, if there is one.

If you have your ETLs and STL on your side, it should be okay. Usually they are the keys in this happening or not happening. When TMs/TLs have worked at Target for years the leadership will all have different opinions on someone they have worked with so much. So while you are new, and have a completely positive impression is the best time to make a move like this. It is a disadvantage in Target's eyes to know the actual limitations of what is possible in a store. They want ETLs to drive for impossible results. So someone who will just take them at their word is more valuable than someone who will questions it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back