ETL rehire?

Does it happen? I was closing TL for around two months, then I gave my two weeks, and took a job with Amazon as a manager. But it's not going well. I've been here around for a few months, and I don't know if I can continue. Do you think I can realistically land another ETL role, or even a TL role? It wouldn't be where I'd want to be, but I probably can't stay at Amazon. Any advice overall?

In the past and probably still true is the easiest way to get from TL to ETL was to leave and come back. Idk if you've gained enough experience they are looking for in a few months. You could probably get a TL position again. You can always try and apply for etl but you better have some stellar answers for why you left and why you want to leave Amazon now. As well as to some stories that can attest to your ability to be an etl.

The reason I left was that I actually applied to be an ETL and an Amazon manager around the same time, but Target got back to me first with a counter offer to be a TL, and Amazon still had not gotten back to me. I took a TL role initially, which I genuinely loved, because I wanted to have a job, but I didn't want to roll the dice on maybe becoming an ETL in 1-2 years. I want to come back because I miss Target and the culture and the people, but also because every single day I work at Amazon is misery. I lose hair every day. The official reason I would return would be that I did not realize the massive toll on my physical and mental health that working nights would bring, and Amazon wouldn't give me the day shift.

The fact you were only a TL for only a few months then left doesn't bode well.

How long were you at Target before you became a TL?

I would quit Amazon and go somewhere else for a year or so then try to reapply as an ETL.

However you stated "I want to come back because I miss Target and the culture and the people".

This can change significantly if you don't come back to Target after a while.

IMHO leaving a company then coming back even years later never turns out as expected no matter what the industry.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Everyone knows that Amazon is hard to work for. Leaving a night job at Target for a night job at Amazon then leaving Amazon because, "I did not realize the massive toll on my physical and mental health that working nights would bring, and Amazon wouldn't give me the day shift," would probably not play very well. I would stick with realizing that you missed the culture at Target and how Target invests in their teams.

Everyone knows that Amazon is hard to work for. Leaving a night job at Target for a night job at Amazon then leaving Amazon because, "I did not realize the massive toll on my physical and mental health that working nights would bring, and Amazon wouldn't give me the day shift," would probably not play very well. I would stick with realizing that you missed the culture at Target and how Target invests in their teams.
Agree . It shows you can’t perform under stress .

Agree . It shows you can’t perform under stress .

If Amazon didn't offer you a day shift intially I wouldn't have left Target.

I think people don't realize that interviews are a two way street.

I would find a less stressful job then go from there.

The fact you were only a TL for only a few months then left doesn't bode well.

How long were you at Target before you became a TL?

I would quit Amazon and go somewhere else for a year or so then try to reapply as an ETL.

However you stated "I want to come back because I miss Target and the culture and the people".

This can change significantly if you don't come back to Target after a while.

IMHO leaving a company then coming back even years later never turns out as expected no matter what the industry.

Good luck.

I was externally hired as a TL. I applied originally for ETL as well but they gave me TL.

I had formerly worked at Amazon, but maybe because I switched sites, but this place was not as it was. Maybe it'll be the same deal at target truth be told. But yeah, thanks for the advice.

Honestly I don't like the Amazon culture I found myself in. My co-managers and I dislike each other, and the team culture isn't good. This is the main, real reason I'd want to return. My old building wasn't like this. I've also never worked true overnight shifts like these, but I have worked closing shifts for years, and I figured if I'm used to getting home at 3, is that so different vs getting out at 5-6? But getting home around 3 is very different from leaving at 5-6 and getting home around 7-8 or even later, as I've come to find.

I was externally hired as a TL. I applied originally for ETL as well but they gave me TL.

I am not sure why you would have a taken a lower level job as a TL when you applied for a ETL position.

What did you do before you became a Target TL?

I am not sure why you would have a taken a lower level job as a TL when you applied for a ETL position.

What did you do before you became a Target TL?
I took a TL job because it paid $6 more per hour than my previous job and I was scared that I wasn't going to get anything better because I have never held a salaried leadership role. Prior to this, I was a supervisor at Amazon.

I took a TL job because it paid $6 more per hour than my previous job and I was scared that I wasn't going to get anything better because I have never held a salaried leadership role. Prior to this, I was a supervisor at Amazon.
So If I read this write you went from Amazon to Target back to Amazon and now want to come back to Target.

They other $6 an hour bump makes sense.

Back