ETL prospects, promotions, and other alternatives

You can be don't doubt yourself but it just takes a little longer then you'd expect. Also if you haven't worked at Target and you accept the job as a tl, you are going astonished at the amount of work it takes. Remember you are running a business that some stores are making upwards of 100 million dollars in sales. People look at retail as an entree level job but don't realize that there company isn't coming close to making that type of revenue. Sure spot has an infrastructure that supports that and it isn't all on the store but retail is generally looked down upon and thought of as easy. 100s of employees and 100 million dollars in revenue at just a single store is nothing to be looked down upon.
Oh yeah, I totally get it's a lot of work, and I can respect the workload and difficulty of the role. When I was shift lead at a much smaller store (~$1-2 mil/year) it was already stressful. Anyways, I guess I'll just do my best and we'll see how things come of it

Maybe. I just don't want to be held back another 18 months before moving forward, which is what I was told is the minimum amount of time in role before I am eligible for promotion to ETL
I've personally seen TL's in my store get promoted quickly to ETL (One example, a Closing TL promoted to ETL in 6 months. He was a longtime Target employee, but not a TL very long. This was 2 years ago and he's still with the company as an ETL).

18 months is standard but it depends on performance and, even more-so, need. Plus your willingness to move store locations. If you're not picky and are willing to go anywhere + take on any ETL role it could be an easier jump for you.

Franklin, you can do whatever you like. I wish you success.

I've personally seen TL's in my store get promoted quickly to ETL (One example, a Closing TL promoted to ETL in 6 months. He was a longtime Target employee, but not a TL very long. This was 2 years ago and he's still with the company as an ETL).

18 months is standard but it depends on performance and, even more-so, need. Plus your willingness to move store locations. If you're not picky and are willing to go anywhere + take on any ETL role it could be an easier jump for you.

Thanks for the advice y'all. I really appreciate it :)

Thanks for the advice y'all. I really appreciate it :)
Just some tips: if you go through your 18 months and exceed outcomes and have good results, and your SD knows you want an ETL role, they may find you a store and position that works for you, but if that happens do not get your hopes up because as soon as a decent external candidate applies they will not hesitate to fill that role. Also, near the end of your 18 months, find a TM that is interested in developing and develop them as a backfill to your role. They will want you to jump through hoops if you want to promote

Just some tips: if you go through your 18 months and exceed outcomes and have good results, and your SD knows you want an ETL role, they may find you a store and position that works for you, but if that happens do not get your hopes up because as soon as a decent external candidate applies they will not hesitate to fill that role. Also, near the end of your 18 months, find a TM that is interested in developing and develop them as a backfill to your role. They will want you to jump through hoops if you want to promote
Damn, never realized how much they like external candidates. Stings even more now that I wasn't selected. Thanks though, don't worry, I'm not going to let myself get strung along.

Most ETL turnover comes from external hires. In 2023 they’re investing in their talent in stores and hiring internally.
Does the definition of "external hire" also mean those that interned with Target without any other relevant work experience?

Damn, never realized how much they like external candidates. Stings even more now that I wasn't selected. Thanks though, don't worry, I'm not going to let myself get strung along.
It’s not that they like external candidates more.. sadly it’s just easier to hire one person rather than promote and deal with another hiring need. That’s why it’s important to develop someone to take your role if you want to promote. It also gives you something to speak to

It’s not that they like external candidates more.. sadly it’s just easier to hire one person rather than promote and deal with another hiring need. That’s why it’s important to develop someone to take your role if you want to promote. It also gives you something to speak to
Exactly. It’s important to talk with your ETL/SD about your prospects and when you’re almost ready they should be working to hire your replacement/find an internal replacement so they can be fully trained by the time you’re ready to interview - you just need to get approval to technically be over headcount for a few months.

A very valid point.

In a related matter my TL has been in that position for over ten years.

However he needs to be aware that he is a very expensive to Target as an hourly employee including his vacation accrual rate.

He needs to realize that you are just a number to a billion dollar corporation like Target and are at-will.
Target doesn't remove people for being "too expensive" like a lot of other companies. Multiple TLs in my district are maxed out in pay and PTO accrual rate. While total expenses for things like this are 100% tracked, it's not nearly as important as going over headcount or using temporary promotion for PG45 level.

As an example, you won't get your GVP messaging you to cut down on high-compensation TLs, but you can expect to hear from them saying to figure out to get back to headcount when you're up a TL (while simultaneously not terming them or demoting them purely to hit HC).

Target doesn't remove people for being "too expensive" like a lot of other companies. Multiple TLs in my district are maxed out in pay and PTO accrual rate. While total expenses for things like this are 100% tracked, it's not nearly as important as going over headcount or using temporary promotion for PG45 level.

As an example, you won't get your GVP messaging you to cut down on high-compensation TLs, but you can expect to hear from them saying to figure out to get back to headcount when you're up a TL (while simultaneously not terming them or demoting them purely to hit HC).
Target doesn't remove people for being "too expensive" like a lot of other companies.
IMHO I find that hard to believe.

Large corporations lay off the most expensive employees all the time.

Then again if like you said "Multiple TLs in my district are maxed out in pay and PTO accrual rate" then those TLs are kind of screwing themselves anyway AND saving Target money to boot.

Then again if like you said "Multiple TLs in my district are maxed out in pay and PTO accrual rate" then those TLs are kind of screwing themselves anyway AND saving Target money to boot.
I'm not sure what you mean? They make upwards of 80k a year, and get multiple weeks worth of vacation a year. I'm not sure how that's "screwing themselves"? They'd be hard pressed to negotiate something better at ETL level, not to mention that 50 hours are expected weekly for that.

Obviously I'm speaking from experience, but I know a not-insignificant amount of TLs that are maxed out on hourly rate in the group I'm in and there's never been any push to get rid of them purely because of pay rate.

I'm sure it happens at the HQ level more often; roles and rates are always changing in HQ since a lot of roles are exempt as opposed to hourly.

Sorry for reopening an old thread:

In my experience, external ETL hires phase out a lot in comparison to internal promotions. It’s a hard dose of reality when you actually in the role. Coming up through the ranks gives you the necessary foundation. There are some great externals that I’ve encountered. Its just not normal in my experience. I would always suggest being a TL first and getting really good at that before taking on ETL. The aspirations to move up is respectable. I personally believe having the foundation and the ability to relate to the team is important tools to have.

I hope you found something that best suits you. All the best.

Last edited:
I was closing team lead for a few months, but I've since moved on to a different role (manager at Amazon). Maybe I'll be back one day.

Back