Archived After 4 years at Target, I am starting to hate this place

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read this article the other day http://www.startribune.com/business/161162225.html

In the meantime:
- I only work between 22 and 30 hours a week now ( I used to get 40)
- they lured me for a promotion only to realize they would have to pay me close to $11/hour and that was too much
- newly hired people get the most hours because they are cheaper I guess ( not by much though. When they increased minimum wage, us TMs just above it didn't get a raise)
- they cut the shift differential, AGAIN. I make less money per hour in July 2012 than I did in March 2012
- TLs are stressed out and expect us to do everything in record time and threaten to hire more people if we're not done on time. Great way to motivate your team.

It's kind of ironic when they ask you to donate for United Way. Most of us use it or will need it pretty soon.

All I want to say is EFF YOU Target. You can't keep good employees with such practices. I can't wait to be out of there now.

I'm not saying your experience isn't accurate to your store, but not everywhere is the same. I've worked at a few different stores and had the pleasure of very good relations between TMs and ETLs/TLs. There's going to be problems from time to time, you can't please everyone no matter how hard you try at times. Target also goes above and beyond by offering benefits to domestic partners, donates more money to local charities than any other retailer and has a myriad number of other ways it tries to help its employees(I myself can attest to the Hardship Fund being real and it definitely helped me out). Definitely don't blanket statement and hate the whole company, focus it at the individuals who are the ones to blame for your working conditions.

If you aren't happy though, and don't expect things to change soon, start looking elsewhere for employment. Everyone deserves to find happiness, both personally and professionally, even if the pursuit of it takes you from where you thought you had it to somewhere with a better opportunity.

Biscuit, I can't offer any help, but I just want you to know you are NOT alone! I have been looking like The Mule has suggested and there isn't anything available in my area. So in the mean time, I'm stuck in a job that I hate and gives me anxiety attacks every time I even think about going to work!

I'm not saying your experience isn't accurate to your store, but not everywhere is the same. I've worked at a few different stores and had the pleasure of very good relations between TMs and ETLs/TLs. There's going to be problems from time to time, you can't please everyone no matter how hard you try at times. Target also goes above and beyond by offering benefits to domestic partners, donates more money to local charities than any other retailer and has a myriad number of other ways it tries to help its employees(I myself can attest to the Hardship Fund being real and it definitely helped me out). Definitely don't blanket statement and hate the whole company, focus it at the individuals who are the ones to blame for your working conditions.

If you aren't happy though, and don't expect things to change soon, start looking elsewhere for employment. Everyone deserves to find happiness, both personally and professionally, even if the pursuit of it takes you from where you thought you had it to somewhere with a better opportunity.

I agree with you. That being said, I really feel like Target is trying to cut corners to make even more profits. If all this had happened say in 2009-2010 when the economy was still bad I could have understood. But things are looking good for Target (stocks are higher than in 2007!)and I can clearly see a shift in the wrong direction for its employees. I shouldn't make less per hour in July 2012 than I did in March 2012 after a 1st raise (I've always gotten the highest raise possible for my yearly reviews in 4 years) and after another raise to sort of make up for the loss in the shift differential. This is NOT how you keep your good employees and I am one of them as my yearly reviews have shown in the last 4 years.

All the things that have been happening lately leave a bad taste in my mouth and I am not the only one. I've been really happy with Target for my 1st 4 years. Now I can't wait to leave.

Jobs are scarce in my area as well.
I don't hate my store but have very hard feelings for Spot.
The folks all the way up to the E's at my store are doing their level best to make the place workable under the constraints placed on them by corporate.
Some are young, needing to be trained in people skills and general management without rulebook attachment but in the long run they should be OK.

I don't even have to even consider donating to united way just check off you don't want to donate and give the card back. Nobody will question you the other thread about this made it like they are threatening you if you don't or hold it against you, nobody will ever.
Back to topic, I make quite a bit more than $11 as a TM I feel lucky. Been with Target 7 years and I quite honestly enjoy my job. And do 33-39 hours a week.

I read this article the other day http://www.startribune.com/business/161162225.html

In the meantime:
- I only work between 22 and 30 hours a week now ( I used to get 40)
- they lured me for a promotion only to realize they would have to pay me close to $11/hour and that was too much
- newly hired people get the most hours because they are cheaper I guess ( not by much though. When they increased minimum wage, us TMs just above it didn't get a raise)
- they cut the shift differential, AGAIN. I make less money per hour in July 2012 than I did in March 2012
- TLs are stressed out and expect us to do everything in record time and threaten to hire more people if we're not done on time. Great way to motivate your team.

It's kind of ironic when they ask you to donate for United Way. Most of us use it or will need it pretty soon.

All I want to say is EFF YOU Target. You can't keep good employees with such practices. I can't wait to be out of there now.

I see you took the "Red Pill" --- Welcome to reality ---

It's disheartening but you can use it as incentive to pursue something better, especially if you don't have dependents yet.
There are certain things & people I like about my store but it still doesn't compare to what it used to be.
And, as we all know, we can't dwell in "used-to-be" land forever so all you can do is look upward & outward.

Also, once they learn the ropes, they generally work faster because they're still enthusiastic about having a job and aren't burned out yet.

It seemed like just before the 4th that hours went up and gas prices went down. Now hours are going back down and gas is going back up. What's with that?

Gonna be here for 6 years in 3 months.

I started at $7.50. Now I'm $11.28 and I get my hours (38-40 per week).

There's a new Target about 20 miles away that recently opened and their starting wage (Logistics Backroom) is around $11.

Seriously? Busting my ass for 6 ****ing years and my current wage is the same wage as the new hires.

WOW! and to think I started at $8.50 when doing backroom and by the time I had left, I was only making $9.55. Glad my new job came when it did

Biscuit, keep your head up. It can get rough, but just try to stay positive, and like HLM said, patience is the key.

I understand getting discouraged. I've been there. I even quit once, but I came back after a couple of years. In the past 25 years or so, I've worked for several retailers, and Target is, by far, my favorite place to work. It still is, even now, although there are things I certainly don't like. I'm the old guy now, so I often feel like I'm not in on the inside joke. And it seems that all the fresh-faced new ETLs who come in have aspirations of being HR, or at least want to sit in the office all day the way they typically do (I know this is a generalization -- if free-range ETL-HRs exist, please speak up). If a plane crashes into the east side of our building, where all the offices are located, I may be the sole survivor among my peers. I encourage you to leave (after finding another job first, of course) and, if you leave on good terms, and with a notice and all that, you know they'll probably snap you up when you decide to come back. Trained team members are a bonus, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back