Am I going to get fired?

Was it out on the floor where any guest could buy it in the intervening 8 hours?

If so, then no, you're good. Even if you hid it in the backroom, unless your leadership is particularly prickly or trying to get rid of you, the most you'd get is a write up. Most likely a "don't do that again."

Handbook says we have to leave stuff out and available for guests to buy on the floor for 15 minutes, so 8 hours is plenty.

I should say, was it repackaged legitimately, or did you repackage it with the intent to buy it for cheaper? That would be a bigger deal.

However, if it was something that needed a repackage, and was out on a clearance endcap for guests to buy, then it should be fine.

At least, according to the rules I'm familiar with.

Yes, it was put back on the clearance end cap and sat in the same spot my whole shift

I mean, it crossed my mind but I put it back on the end cap around 7 and bought it at 3

You probably should be cool. You put it in the right spot and waited more than 15 minutes before picking it up and buying it.

Now, the unanswered question that will make it certain - did you have a legitimate reason to mark it as a repackage? Or did you repackage it in order to buy it at a cheaper price?

It crossed my mind but it wasn’t my complete intention. If someone else bought it, I wouldn’t have been bummed about it

Last edited:
I think you're good if you put it visually on the shelf. Not behind a bunch of stuff. Also, if you didn't repackage it just because and it has a legitimate reason for repackage

You mentioned it was not sold in your store... was it an online item repackage sticker? If so and you left it out you’re fine. I assume also you went with POS/mydevice recommended price and not lower?

You're doubletalking a tad bit much. "Complete intention" - no, this is a black and white situation. Did you alter the price at all beyond what it should have been altered if you had no interest?
This is the correct question to ask. The policy is team members may not repackage an item with the intent of buying something cheaper, nor repackage something against repackage policy and then buy it, nor repackage and hide item to buy later.

if you didn’t do any of those three, you’re fine.

You should be fine man. To be honest with you since this pandemic started people have been taking all the essential items (Clorox Wipes, Lysol, etc.) straight off the line while unloading to hide it and buy it for themselves without the guests ever having a chance and they all still have their jobs. Like they say "all stores are not the same" but just wanted to share this with you to minimize the effect you think you had on the guests and your store and compare it to the shit they are STILL DOING at my store. Just because I said that please don't go trying doing this yourself. I haven't even done it myself in fear of losing my job.

Back