Archived An old injury has come back to haunt me and im wondering how it will affect my position?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just recently started my first real job cart attending and (mostly) cashiering. The only issue is, after my first long, 9+ hour day of doing nothing but carts, a back injury that i thought i had treated thoroughly reared its ugly head. I play ice hockey and i also participate in marching band and because both of those things are immensely important to me, i cant afford to be in this much pain. My question is, if i go in and explain my situation to the human resources girl at my store, would she be able or willing to move me to just cashiering shifts even though they hired me for carts? Sorry if this sounds dumb or that im worrying too much, im still trying to get a feel for how things work at an actual job :confused:

You should go and talk to your GSTL (direct supervisor) about it first and explain to her the situation. Honestly, what they will or won't do varies between stores, but the first step is just to talk to your guest service team leader about it. You can go to your Executive Team Lead-Human Resources too, but I would start with your Guest Service Team Leader.

You should go and talk to your GSTL (direct supervisor) about it first and explain to her the situation. Honestly, what they will or won't do varies between stores, but the first step is just to talk to your guest service team leader about it. You can go to your Executive Team Lead-Human Resources too, but I would start with your Guest Service Team Leader.

I agree, it varies by leadership. Personally if I had an opening I would move you. And full on drinking the kool-aide would back that up because ideally Target is supposed to take care of their TMs. Unfortunately some ETLs ruin that image.

I agree with paidtosmile and just wanted to chime in.

Don't do anything that will hurt you physically. Don't let anyone pressure you into doing more than you're able to do without hurting yourself. Trust me, your future self will not thank you for sacrificing your body for a retail job. I have a permanent work-related injury. I was denied workers comp and couldn't afford a lawyer to fight it- I could barely afford the doctor's bills. And it could have been easily prevented if I had just said "no, I can't do that without hurting myself." So learn from my mistakes, I guess? :) Hope you feel better.

I agree with paidtosmile and just wanted to chime in.

Don't do anything that will hurt you physically. Don't let anyone pressure you into doing more than you're able to do without hurting yourself. Trust me, your future self will not thank you for sacrificing your body for a retail job. I have a permanent work-related injury. I was denied workers comp and couldn't afford a lawyer to fight it- I could barely afford the doctor's bills. And it could have been easily prevented if I had just said "no, I can't do that without hurting myself." So learn from my mistakes, I guess? :) Hope you feel better.

QFFT

Thanks for the advice everyone! i do have an appointment to speak with my doctor and discuss some options, if i were to just go ahead and have surgery i probably would need to wait until the holiday break from school so that i wouldn't be out of school for as long (its my senior year, so i want to miss as little as possible).

An update: went in to talk to them today, and she mentioned that the leads had been "unimpressed" with my attitude, i.e. Im not upbeat all the time...my first day alone on carts i did get a bit frustrated with the pusher but once i got the hang of it i was fine, and the leads have told me often that i've been doing well, so i dont understand why they would tell me that im doing well instead of giving me tips on how to do better...this is my first job and i am trying really hard...i cant think of anything i said that couldve possibly been misconstrued as having a "bad attitude?"

You're being troublesome and making their jobs more complicated.

I agree never hurt yourself at target not worth it. But this is a crazy thing to say but if your leaders are upset with you write 5 great team cards a day. When I was a team member it kept the etls away. Lol

You're being troublesome and making their jobs more complicated.

I dont intend to, things are just kind of overwhelming at first. I understand what youre saying though.

I agree never hurt yourself at target not worth it. But this is a crazy thing to say but if your leaders are upset with you write 5 great team cards a day. When I was a team member it kept the etls away. Lol

Im more worried about if i were to leave, finding another job. Someone's gotta pay for college and in this job market most places arent looking to hire kids like me with minimal experience...however if my doctor tells me i need to stop doing it, i will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back