Archived An SOS Call - advice, encouragement, hard truths all welcome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Strangers of the internet, I could REALLY use some guidance and wisdom. My job frustration is at an all time high, and I can't help but think about quitting, even though I'd be sad to leave. The last couple of months I've been feeling increasingly unappreciated, and conversations with my ETL or STL have either confirmed that suspicion or demoralized me in some other way.

I work hard, always stay late when asked, always come in when called, and rarely call out. I pay attention to detail, don't slack off, and do everything I can to improve the appearance and functioning of the salesfloor. I'm friendly with guests, and usually happy to be interrupted (apart from a few bad apples, most of our guests are pleasant). I'm far from perfect, but I give it my all.

Lately though... I've really started dreading work, and I'm not sure how to turn things back around. My STL and ETL are generally nice people. They truly care about the wellbeing of the store and so do I. But somehow our interactions keep turning negative lately. I know all bosses have "favorites" and that's just a part of life, but I didn't realize how good I had it with my previous STL. She made me feel like my flexibility, attention to detail, and cross-training made me an asset. A series of bad interactions with my current bosses make me feel like I'm walking on eggshells and wasting my energy. Going above and beyond in one area is bound to get me chastised for another area. Pointing out any "opportunities" (even fairly urgent things) seems to get me brushed off as a nuisance.

I know I may just seem like I'm complaining and whining. (And in all fairness, I probably did need a chance to do a little of that too.) But I really want to move past this rut. I'm just not sure how.

It's definitely good to complain every once in a while, hell I do it every day since our market is a clusterfuck.

Honestly don't know what to tell you, all bosses have to be 'a boss' in some sort of way but if their way is demoralizing and making you hate Target, then I'd look at your situation and see what you could do.

Most of us just suck it up after 2-3 years of having bosses like that, but after a while it gets really. annoying. having to deal with them. I'm lucky to have relatively good leaders compared to other stores, team moral is always high when they're out and about helping the store. My ETL-GE likes to chastise me very similar to what you're explaining. I just shrug it off, it's whatever, I get paid $15,000 a year, I could quit in an instant and find a job that pays the same, but I love Target much more than other retail stores.

If it bothers you too greatly, try transferring stores.

Last edited:
My STL and ETL are generally nice people. They truly care about the wellbeing of the store and so do I. But somehow our interactions keep turning negative lately

Stress of Q4?

I know all bosses have "favorites" and that's just a part of life, but I didn't realize how good I had it with my previous STL

Sounds like you used to be a favorite and now you aren't anymore?

I have learned not to become too attached to any leader. They come and go. Some will love you, some will not care for you and others will be indifferent.

Be consistent that's what matters most.

Pointing out any "opportunities" (even fairly urgent things) seems to get me brushed off as a nuisance.

Are you a team member? I would suggest relaxing and just doing your job to the best of your ability. My store has plenty of team members who try take a negative visit all hard and it's like chill... You aren't paid enough to care. Do your best each day, clock in and clock out and keep a work life balance.

Never get attached to a leader is good advice.
Within months most of the ETL team can change. And TL come and go fairly often.

Visits will always find opportunities, that's why they come to the store.

Like @HRZone saod, you were a favorite, and , now you are not it does happen. The best you can do has already been mentioned by members above. Now if you want to “move up”. I would suggest showing that interest to your immediate leader and TMs . Be on excellent terms with him/her first. A TL will advertise and “promote” you to higher leadership once you make an impact on him/her. Good luck.

Thank you for all of your responses, a lot of them helped!

- First off, as dense as this might sound, sometimes the weeks start to blend together, and I momentarily forgot we're in Q4 and just barely on the other side of Black Friday. Not an ideal time to assess anything haha.
- My STL and ETL do both have distinctly different "bossing styles" than their predecessors. But our store has definitely seen plenty of turnover, and I shouldn't worry so much that it might limit my advancement in the future.
- Our store has some stellar TL's, focusing more of my energy on helping them sounds like great advice (and frankly, like more fun).
- I should really get "chill, you aren't paid enough to care" tattooed on my forehead. LOL

Sounds like Target’s standard operating procedure to me. Similar things happened to me in AP.

There is so much more to offer than Target. Believe me, I spent way too long there and felt I wouldn't succeed in anything else because I was the same as you feeling unappreciated, working long hours, cross trained in everything yet still felt like an outcast. If you can honestly look in the mirror and feel good about going in everyday to shitty results, its not healthy. If you are not supported by your ETL or STL, get out now, Target does give you good experience to succeed in a lot of different jobs, but if you have the drive to succeed you will feel a ton better somewhere where you are appreciated.

There is so much more to offer than Target. Believe me, I spent way too long there and felt I wouldn't succeed in anything else because I was the same as you feeling unappreciated, working long hours, cross trained in everything yet still felt like an outcast. If you can honestly look in the mirror and feel good about going in everyday to shitty results, its not healthy. If you are not supported by your ETL or STL, get out now, Target does give you good experience to succeed in a lot of different jobs, but if you have the drive to succeed you will feel a ton better somewhere where you are appreciated.
Just cause you failed, and couldn’t succeed. Doesn’t mean people should just give up on Target. Shame on you.

Just cause you failed, and couldn’t succeed. Doesn’t mean people should just give up on Target. Shame on you.

I don't think his post was meant to slam target I think his point was target doesn't work for everyone .

I think for some people target can be a great career if you have the right leadership. If your leadership sucks you may want to get out while you still can.

From the poster who opened a 'Target sucks!' thread:
Target doesn’t promote from within. It sucks the soul out of you. Its like working towards nothing. It sucks. Its a dead end job. Its unfair. The leaders suck. The process sucks. Its corporate shit man. I am over worked. I just punch in and out man. Any place is better than spot. I cant wait to get out of it.

And then there is this;

From Cart Attendant to Target Exec: Samir Shah Achieves His Dream - https://corporate.target.com/article/2013/07/video-samir-shah-from-cart-attendant-to-target-exe

Wake up you nay sayers. Its what you make of it

I swear I could have written this post myself. Same situation and it just got worse. I don't have any advice because I quit 4 months ago. Just tough it out as long as you can stand, I guess. It might get better?

I didn't fail. I felt I couldn't succeed anywhere else besides Target (I guess I was brainwashed into thinking this was the Best Company Ever), and was afraid to move on from Target. Sorry if that came off wrong. My point is if you have the drive to succeed, you can do it anywhere, don't feel stuck at Target and especially if you are feeling unappreciated.

I would absolutely hate to rely on my store as the primary source of my income. I don't care how much the ETLs might pretend to appreciate the team members; the way they treat payroll speaks volumes.

There's always gonna be cliques and favorites. That's human nature and very few people can be friends with everyone.

Staying late and going above what's expected of you doesn't change the fact that sometimes personalities clash. Just keep doing your job and stop worrying about what other people thing. As long as you keep getting paid and don't cry every day you're better off than a lot of people.

i am in a speciality area i guess you could say and there are currently only four of us over there. 1 of the 4 doesn't pull her weight. ever. is sloppy, leaves dirty counters on close, doesn't stock, has to constantly be redirected and invades personal space if you work with her so i can defintely understand working and being frustrated.
whats worse with my situation is the sr. tl who currently manages the 3 areas is aware and just doesn't want to deal with her. well i use to be an assistant manager of a fast food restaurant so i have taken to leaving her lists of tasks to do to keep her focused and we also have a dry erase board where i put up several issues like "prioritize tasks, dont go to starbucks for dirty trays as they will bring them to the back, each shift should prep for the next; open to close and close to open so that we are always prepared". i also taped the routine list my sr. tl posted that says do this at such and such time. I got the OK from her to write all this down.

NOW I know this isn't exactly the same problems you are having but it is easy to get frustrated with others, they were even giving this girl way more hours than me for a few weeks and I spoke up!

I would also suggest asking to be cross trained in other areas as especially once we get out of 4th quarter it will help you with hours AND it may also help with your frustration level if you are not always working in the same area

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back