Archived And The Next Big New Thing Is -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Costco has Self check outs. Its all card only. No cash accepted. (something the damn food court needs to get to :treaten: )

i think guests get so confused over those card readers (even though they are simple) because almost every retialer is going to this

View attachment mx880_Tshirt_LR.jpg

Just yesterday I read an article on a Food Store Chain that is doing away from using Self-Check out BECAUSE they feel it takes away from the "Guest Experience". In all truth. When I go to a store, I rather use the real life Cashier rather then self-checkout.

I remember an article saying Self-CheckOuts were a great plan on cutting budgets and helped with express/small purchases get out quicker. But they ultimately started falling out of favor because people were too lazy to check themselves out. And when an issue rose up, it takes the attendant time to respond.

I used to shop at a Food Lion, Ingles and Kroger. And after 8pm, the Self Checkouts were the only open registers. I personally hated them. I could scan super fast, but the systems are setup only to scan then bag before the next item can be scanned. And if you have something super light, sometimes the system doesn't notice the weight of the item.

Cat's back! Everything OK?

Several chains in my area offer self-check. I must be doing something wrong because I ALWAYS have an issue with them. As a cashier, you'd think I of all people would know how to scan & bag....

I used to shop at a Food Lion, Ingles and Kroger. And after 8pm, the Self Checkouts were the only open registers. I personally hated them. I could scan super fast, but the systems are setup only to scan then bag before the next item can be scanned. And if you have something super light, sometimes the system doesn't notice the weight of the item.

We have machines like that at Tops. They're very annoying because they keep yelling at you to "please place the item in the bag" when it's already in the bag. Though that's nothing compared to the "SYSTEM PROCESSING, PLEASE STAND BY (2-3X)" at BJ's Wholesale Club. I used to avoid cashiers because I often knew them from school, but now I go to them because I can't take those freaking machines anymore.

All I ever use when I go places is Self-Checkouts. Locally we have Kroger stores, I probably wouldn't even walk in the door for a few items if not for the Self Checkout. They seem to staff them very well, there is always a few cashiers and a "Cashier" at the Self-Checkout lanes. The person watching over the Self Checkout is actually at a register so they can check out somebody having issues. Kroger, Lowes and Home Depot have them as well, I use them pretty exclusively when going to those places. I think it is a generational thing too, I rather do it myself. The only place I run into issues with self checkout is at Wal-Mart, and thats because people with 200 items roll up to the self checkout and have no idea how to use a calculator let alone a self checkout. For self checkouts to work there needs to be enough cashiers for the people with lots of items so that people with a few items can go to the Self Checkouts. If somebody with 200 items rolls up to the only line open with three people in from to them, they will go over to the Self Checkout and hold things up over there, dispute that fact that waiting in line will take less time than them actually attempting to self checkout. As long as Spot doesn't use them as an excuse to chop even more cashiers "Which they will" they will be a great addition.

At least a self-checkout won't be late for their shift, run to the bathroom during a code one or come back late from break/lunch.

I always find that self-checkouts aren't for how do I say it clueless people. Like the clueless guests who can't figure out the credit card machines:dash1:

I would love to see an age/gender breakdown on people who love/hate self scan machines.

I would love to see an age/gender breakdown on people who love/hate self scan machines.

I'd draw it right down the middle. My brother, me and my mom use Self Checkouts exclusively, my Dad (older) and my grandparents will wait in line for hours just so ththey don't have to use a self checkout.

I'd draw it right down the middle. My brother, me and my mom use Self Checkouts exclusively, my Dad (older) and my grandparents will wait in line for hours just so ththey don't have to use a self checkout.

I use self checkouts since I usually don't buy that many items, but even if I did, I ring faster than most cashiers... But I'm a dude, us dudes are known for our shopping attitude. "Get it, quickly grab what you need, get out"

Cat is back! How's hubby?

Well, Hubby is... Hubby ... He's doing better, has to get back surgery done now... well more like spine surgery. There's some nerv half damaged/pinched and needs to be 're-activated'.
I was on vacation for 2 weeks as well because my family was in town, which I enjoyed tremendously...

:X

Glad he's doing better & that you got some vay-cay in, too.
Hope his surgery goes OK.

Well, Hubby is... Hubby ... He's doing better, has to get back surgery done now... well more like spine surgery. There's some nerv half damaged/pinched and needs to be 're-activated'.
I was on vacation for 2 weeks as well because my family was in town, which I enjoyed tremendously...

:X

OT Glad to hear your hubby is OK. If he's anything like I was after I got laid up he's probably a grouchy old bear about it.
Family can be a blessing and a curse all rolled into one. Hope it was more of the latter and none of the former. Good to have you back.

I am not keen on the idea of the self-checkout. While most people I know use them, I am of the opinion I spend half of my time as a GSTL on the register, why would I want to use one at a grocery store. Plus they are extremely nasty to you. I have used them more than once at BJs, and both times I used them the thing all but told me off.

While they do have their ups, the downside is they can be confusing and be very user-unfriendly... although with Target's history of streamlining just about every process something tells me they will simplify this...

At least a self-checkout won't be late for their shift, run to the bathroom during a code one or come back late from break/lunch.

This is true, but you are assuming that the scanners at these registers will work!

Me, I don't use self-checkout. While I am a cashier and know that self-check-out might be faster, why should I do all the work if I'm not going to get some kind of price break for doing their work?

A self-checkout can't sign you up for a Target card, either.

but in todays enconmey do people really want another credit card? Plus with Self check out its mostly for those who have a few items and those who just want to get in and out quickly.

A self-checkout can't sign you up for a Target card, either.

Actually it can. Since the application process is all on the pad anyway, all the machine has to do is say "would you like to save 5% today and everyday on everything in the store?" and have a button for "Yes" or "No, Thanks" and "More information" with a little notification that says the process takes less than 5 minutes. They could even code it in such a way that the guest could fill out the application at a kiosk or somewhere out of the way to avoid guests not doing them as the store is busy. It would be amazingly easy to do. S*** I'm giving corporate ideas..... lol

Didnt read all of the comments but the last word I had from my DTL was self-checkout was only rolling out for high volume stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back