Archived And The Screwing Continues

Status
Not open for further replies.

commiecorvus

Former Signing Ninja
Staff member
I found out today that the TL for Price Change was let go.
She was one of the few TL's who didn't fit into the (as one of my coworkers so brilliantly put it) the High School Musical crowd.
Yes, she could be a bit snarky and didn't take crap from people (especially young punks who are bosses and think that makes them better then you as people) but she did her job and cared about doing it well.
I'm sure this is just the first step in combining the Plano and price change teams.
So when folks want to tell you that Target is doing a better job of advancing folks from within, I suspect that comes with a weeding out of anyone who doesn't fit into the mold.

Interesting......our Plano TL was let go this past week, been with Target for years too. Kind of hilarious watching the 12 yr old ETL trying to tell the plano team how to set Halloween haha

I found out today that the TL for Price Change was let go.
She was one of the few TL's who didn't fit into the (as one of my coworkers so brilliantly put it) the High School Musical crowd.
Yes, she could be a bit snarky and didn't take crap from people (especially young punks who are bosses and think that makes them better then you as people) but she did her job and cared about doing it well.
I'm sure this is just the first step in combining the Plano and price change teams.
So when folks want to tell you that Target is doing a better job of advancing folks from within, I suspect that comes with a weeding out of anyone who doesn't fit into the mold.

I believe it. When folks tell you target is doing a better job with internal promotions, it's to get team members to work harder in hopes of getting a promotion. I know, cause I fell for it.

I believe it. When folks tell you target is doing a better job with internal promotions, it's to get team members to work harder in hopes of getting a promotion. I know, cause I fell for it.
Here too...9 years wasted. I was told I didn't have enough experience several times during interview feedback. However, I was cross-trained for all of the Front, FA, carts, salesfloor, and took on many special projects/tasks...and they admitted they couldn't afford to move me anywhere else since I was such a top performer for my areas.

Here too...9 years wasted. I was told I didn't have enough experience several times during interview feedback. However, I was cross-trained for all of the Front, FA, carts, salesfloor, and took on many special projects/tasks...and they admitted they couldn't afford to move me anywhere else since I was such a top performer for my areas.

I just know I ran the flowteam about sixty percent of the time (making eleven an hour mind you) while we had a flowteam lead making 17 an hour. And when he was let go, I ran the flow team about 75-80 percent of the time. Because of my character, I got the flowteam through another fourth quarter before giving up. LOL I was in the interview process, and I was pretty upset that I could sucessfully run a team, but couldn't recieve a promotion because my interview skills weren't brand.

This happened to me as well. Sucks :(

This is going on with me as well. My ETL team wants me to become a TL. Though every chance I get to go ahead and work on it, they block it. The biggest thing they wanted me to do was to get into a position where I would get leadership experience before I go to become a TL. There is only so much I can do when I am in Electronics, with it just being me per shift. So, I went ahead and applied for a GSA position and did not get it. They want me to take on other projects and go into different areas of the store.

Though, the only stuff I have never done is Price Change/Plano/Presentation, etc. Anything sales floor I have done. But when I want to go into different areas they don't let me because I am too valuable for electronics. So They want me to move up, but don't want to have me move up because I have been pigeon holed into Electronics. Gotta love it. Needless to say, careerbuilder/monster jobs are my new best friends...

Mold: A filamentous fungus, generally appearing as a circular colony (like a bullseye?) , but with filaments that are not organized ...

Yep, I suspect you're right...

Negative. Negative. Negative. If ya'll have that great attitude at work, I can see why the opportunities for advancement may be limited. Try to be glad that you have a job. Try to be thankful for the 12 or 18 or 16.25 or 8.35 or 22 bucks an hour you are making. Try to be glad that there is still a company willing to offer you AND your spouse AND you children benefits. Try to be glad that there is still a company willing to match your 401k contributions up to 5%. Try to be glad that there is a company willing give you a chance even if you do have a grouch ass attitude. Work is work. It's not easy. There are things that you have to do that maybe you wouldn't do if you were the CEO. You have to conform to policies that aren't written by you. It's not supposed to be a picnic and a stroll in the park. IT'S WORK!

There HAS to be something that keeps us there. 9 years "wasted." Really? Wasted? In 9 years you didn't gain ANY usable experience? Whatever. Maybe I'm just a sucker. Maybe, I don't want to be a number at the unemployment line. I don't know what it is. It's very easy for me to happy. There are alot of people around me that have it way worse. Guess what, there are others that have it better.

Stop whining. Stop griping. Stop spreading your negativity. If it's that bad, go drag some other company down. I suggest Wal-Mart.

P.S. I am not perfect and would never claim to be.

There HAS to be something that keeps us there. 9 years "wasted." Really? Wasted? In 9 years you didn't gain ANY usable experience?

At most companies, nine years seniority looks really good when you're trying for that promotion. When you're applying for a new job...nine years at target in the same position looks really really bad lol. I know people that had long careers at sprint, and have had proffesional placement services tell them to say as little as possible about that during future job interviews, because the company was ran so poorly and this information is in the public domain.

This is going on with me as well. My ETL team wants me to become a TL. Though every chance I get to go ahead and work on it, they block it. The biggest thing they wanted me to do was to get into a position where I would get leadership experience before I go to become a TL. There is only so much I can do when I am in Electronics, with it just being me per shift. So, I went ahead and applied for a GSA position and did not get it. They want me to take on other projects and go into different areas of the store.

Though, the only stuff I have never done is Price Change/Plano/Presentation, etc. Anything sales floor I have done. But when I want to go into different areas they don't let me because I am too valuable for electronics. So They want me to move up, but don't want to have me move up because I have been pigeon holed into Electronics. Gotta love it. Needless to say, careerbuilder/monster jobs are my new best friends...

Yup that is exactly what I dealt with. I played their game to the letter and it still wasn't enough to move up, while I watched people with bad social skills and poor attitudes get promoted and come to me to learn about their new job. It's all who you know, not what you know. It's like that everywhere more or less unfortunately.

Negative. Negative. Negative. If ya'll have that great attitude at work, I can see why the opportunities for advancement may be limited. Try to be glad that you have a job. Try to be thankful for the 12 or 18 or 16.25 or 8.35 or 22 bucks an hour you are making. Try to be glad that there is still a company willing to offer you AND your spouse AND you children benefits. Try to be glad that there is still a company willing to match your 401k contributions up to 5%. Try to be glad that there is a company willing give you a chance even if you do have a grouch ass attitude. Work is work. It's not easy. There are things that you have to do that maybe you wouldn't do if you were the CEO. You have to conform to policies that aren't written by you. It's not supposed to be a picnic and a stroll in the park. IT'S WORK!

There HAS to be something that keeps us there. 9 years "wasted." Really? Wasted? In 9 years you didn't gain ANY usable experience? Whatever. Maybe I'm just a sucker. Maybe, I don't want to be a number at the unemployment line. I don't know what it is. It's very easy for me to happy. There are alot of people around me that have it way worse. Guess what, there are others that have it better.

Stop whining. Stop griping. Stop spreading your negativity. If it's that bad, go drag some other company down. I suggest Wal-Mart.

/sarcasm/ Yes, shame on all of you for thinking you deserve better. You damn peons. /sarcasm/

It seems you have bought too much into the corporate attitude. I don't know much about some of the other users situations on this board but in my case I initially liked Target and wanted to work my way up. I had a good attitude, and approached my work as if it wasn't beneath me. Never mind the 8 or so dollars an hour I was being paid, the lack of flexibility, or how much work got shoved onto me, I did it with a smile, and I didn't complain.

After repeated snubs at getting promoted to supervisor that changed. I have previous experience in supervision over a real team in a much faster paced environment, I've managed my own company. There is no reason for me not to have gotten the job all 3 times I went for it due to "lack of experience at Target". I was cross trained in everything except FA even! It got to the point where I was being asked why I stayed by guests, by my coworkers, and eventually I was wondering too.

So I quit after I landed a salaried position that pays almost 4 times more. I'm sure other users here can do the same thing, however their circumstances may make it more difficult than it was for me. Considering the direction I see Target going, I would advise you all to find other employment. Sears/Kmart are falling apart, I don't see Target continuing to compete with Walmart without massive head count reductions and simplification that in the end results in you all having to do more work, with more aggravation, for less pay. Then again in retail that's called efficiency.

It'll be interesting to see what you post in about 6-12 months. I'm sure your opinion of the company and the whining you perceive as a waste will have changed drastically by then.

Those of us that have been here a long time have seen many changes in our place of employment. What was once an exciting, innovative, organized workplace run by professionals that were interested in their employees, their jobs, and actually seeing "opportunities" as something positive is no longer the workplace we signed on with. Respect for experiential knowledge, communication, career development, organization, - things of the past. Now it is simply a job to go to each day. We do the best work that we can each day and hope that it was fast enough to maintain or surpass the expected numbers. The expectation for success is based upon an employee base that used to be at minimum 10% higher and the financial incentive at a higher experience level is non-existent. Negative? No, I don't think so. Simply a reality. Many have achieved personal growth and satisfaction, but as a whole most are still here because they have a job - paycheck, insurance, 401(k), etc. I like what I do, but I used to feel respected as a valuable employee. I used to love what I do. (BTW - I am a college educated person that has made the choice to work at Target to fit life circumstances that would not be compatible with the field in which I have my degree.) My plan is to stay with Target for the long run. I hope that I will have that opportunity. I just don't expect to wake up excited to go to work unless some things change.

So having a good attitude goes further than experience. Explains a lot.

The last week the numbers were available, on about 05/10, Target fired 620 people who had been with the company more than two years. They fired almost nobody who had been there less than two months (10 to 20 range).

Ageism is going to be rearing it's ugly head.

That's illegal! Just like you cannot fire someone who is handicapped for no reason. That is pure BS and if Target is doing that they better be prepared for some lawsuits just saying.....

Don't read the terms by tenure report if you don't understand it.

Someone has been drinking the kool-aid.

I don't want to be seen as hijacking the thread. But just putting my 2cents in. I know I am not perfect either. But not everyone has had a joyous time with Target. As for me, I had my good times with Target in the beginning. Then within my last four years things really went bad. Luckily, I am already at a better job. I work for state government.

But yes it was 9 years wasted. But I am glad I had a job all that time.

In my first 2 stores, I was picked by many as top TM and being prepped and coached to be a TL. When I started out as a cashier/CA. I was cross trained and taking on many TL duties especially for Food Ave. I received an opportunity to move to another store and work a 2nd job in my actual field of study of Television Production. When I was told that my old store was revamping their TL staff, I put in for a position and was promised an interview since my work history was excellent. All I had to do was transfer back. When I did, HR screwed up my transfer and refused to consider for an interview. When I asked my STL about it he deemed me a whistle blower.

I worked my butt off to take on FATL duties when it had no leadership to further prove myself. But when they interviewed for the position, they didn't consider me again...and actually not anyone else in the store. And all the positions in my last years with Target were hired from outside the store without considering an internal promotion. Out of possibly 10 TL positions that were posted, I was only interviewed twice.

And when I noticed TMs going against policy or having a red performance, I tried to politely correct them and inform management. But I was told I was going outside my role of a TM. When I see no temps recorded or food left out, or a red zone on a consistent basis, I am going to bring up to someones attention.

So in all I have a right to bare my opinions of Target. Great store...bad management.

Last edited:
I've reached the point where I will cease being a Target customer after the new walmart supercenter is done in my city. I hate Walmart and everything it stands for, but I've worked for both Walmart and Target, at least at Walmart I knew where I stood. Management at Target is a manipulative group of 22 year old cheerleaders with no work experience, little in the way of ethics, completely freaking useless. Retail in general uses shady practices to keep costs down, but Target takes the cake.

Negative. Negative. Negative. If ya'll have that great attitude at work, I can see why the opportunities for advancement may be limited. Try to be glad that you have a job. Try to be thankful for the 12 or 18 or 16.25 or 8.35 or 22 bucks an hour you are making.
Says society's common middleman to keep the peasant in check. PROBLEM: People petitioning employment for higher pay. ANSWER: People will never have enough and will always ask for more. RESULT: Huge profits while the profit machine's engine overheats and breaks down due to lack of maintenance. Imported parts are cheaper.

In a society full of those with large appetites and enough wealth to afford it easily, there should be plenty of room for those who do the job that no one else want to do to be allowed a living.

So then we play the define-a-living game. To put it simple, minimum wage is NO WHERE near a living wage. Never has been, never will be. Take the common cheapest cost of living per district, sum it up, and subtract it from - not minimum wage - but common wage of the common worker, and you will never come out with a positive sum. Thus, negativity.

People who make a living and think that everyone else can do the same if they wanted and tried hard enough to seem to think everyone is playing a non-zero-sum game.

Last edited:
Yes it is illegal to fire people just because of their age but it isn't illegal to make their job life so miserable and untenable that they quit or slip up enough that a good excuse can be found to fire them.
By the point that they finally let the TL go she was looking them in the eye and saying "I know what you are trying to do, just get it over with."
Of course they would chide her for her attitude even though they were directly responsible for it.

As to usable experience, every place I've worked has taught me something new.
That is part of what I like about doing signing, there is a lot of problem solving, fixing things, and origami.
But none of that is really going to help much on a resume, folks just look at it and see RETAIL.

If my wife wasn't a teacher (in a strong union with good benefits) we couldn't survive on what I make at Target.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back