Archived Annual Salaries Increase and bonus that an ETL would receive every year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone, I am a fall 2017 hire for an ETL position. I start business college in a few weeks. Can anyone speak to the Annual Salaries Increase and bonus that an ETL would receive every year.

Roughly 50k for starters. Bonuses are based store performance numbers. But, with the new changes happening now. Headcount reduction & store processes will impact the store bottom line.
If you are going for etl hr, your job will be gone in 2018. Spot will dangle the carrot well, so keep your resume up to date for backup.
A forum favorite:
Before you sign your life away...

Last edited:
From another thread:
FYI- Most ETLs don't leave b/c of they pay. They leave b/c what is expected of them vs what they are told to expect as an "assistant store manager" differ. If you like work/life balance, an ETL position is not for you.
Yes that is generally true. The thing is, most new ETLs get put into a position without any idea what they are doing. The general process goes like this...
1 - Recruited and told about AMAZING opportunity being an Executive
2 - Hired and put through "business college" where you are shown an ideal situation of the area you are training
3 - Report to your store, spend 6 months "getting to know" the team, area, your leadership style etc...
4 - Your STL tells you the area is not performing, and that is when you know the honeymoon phase is over
5- New ETL scrambles to find solutions they are ill-equipped to solve and burns out

Now, if you know what you are doing this entire thing is avoided. Depending on the area, it is possible to achieve a solid work-life balance.

Rock Lobster

Hello everyone, I am a fall 2017 hire for an ETL position. I start business college in a few weeks. Can anyone speak to the Annual Salaries Increase and bonus that an ETL would receive every year.

You are looking at about 50-55K starting wage. You get a yearly annual metric increase in March that is anywhere between 1-4% on average. Your bonus is also about 1-4% of your yearly salary.

Now, that is not where our raises come from at all. I couldn't care less about the yearly review because it is hardly worth mentioning (its just nice it stacks with the other increase we have available). What got added is that a few times a year your STL and DTL can submit you for a pay increase off cycle from your yearly review, and these are worth WAY more than your review. There is no actual limit to the amount of these you can receive and your STL can continue to submit you depending on your performance.

These range from 5-15% increases on average. It depends on your results and your pay in comparison to your peers in general. For example, you might take over ETL-HR at a store as your second position and 6 months in you are killing it. Your STL and DTL can pull your pay compared to the other ETL-HRs in the district and they see that they are all paid much more than you (common since most older ETLs do that role). They submit you for a pay increase since you are performing as well or better than most of them.

This is how you make money at Target though. That 55 can become 65 pretty quickly, and then 6 months later you could go up to 75. Its completely up to you and your performance.

When I started - in my region 52k was minimum starting for an ETL. I think 52k is pretty much lowest around though as I'm in a low cost of living area.
With good performance and recommendations from your STL/DTL as Rock Lobster has mentioned you can receive significant raises. I'm far beyond where I thought I'd be at my age. It's pretty nice and can be very rewarding - if you don't mind the work which I can admit can be very situational per person. Not every fresh hire ETL starts off in the same playing field. ie: Other ETL's from my "target business college" orientation were placed in great green stores where they took over an already green process and had great team leads to support them and then a couple others including myself went to horrifically broken stores without much support to turn it around.

This is more to follow up to @Hardlinesmaster
I was in my first placement store for not quite 6 months working 70-90 hours a week (often 10-14 hour days 7 days a week) and while things were improving it was heavily at my expense of physical and mental health to a point. I broke down to my DTL on one of her visits, told her I think I needed to quit. I was a blubbering baby sobbing and all that because I really liked her and felt like I was betraying her lol. Luckily my DTL is super nice and very understanding and she knew I wanted to succeed and was determined. That store since has cycled out a lot of the management team that had let the store get to where it was at - but my DTL did move me into my current role which has allowed me to succeed, continue my education, and still even have some social life. If my DTL had been like some others I've known/heard about that were not as compassionate or understanding my situation could have been very different. It's sad that so many ETL's fail because of this system who wouldn't otherwise.

The bonus itself isn't usually much to cry home about, it can be a nice little surprise once a year but at the end of the day the pay grade bumps from your STL/DTL recommendations will be the real dollar opportunity.

Thank you for your insight. How old are you, when did you start, and what is you salary range now? Im just trying to ensure that I made the right decision career wise @sabria.

You do realize the retail industry is currently going through a major transformation, moving away from brick-and-mortar? If you're just starting a career, ask yourself where you see yourself in 10 years, because I believe the responsibilities of retail management will look much differently by then.

Thank you for your insight. How old are you, when did you start, and what is you salary range now? Im just trying to ensure that I made the right decision career wise @sabria.
Sorry I'm getting back to you late.
My situation was a little different than most. I accidentally got an interview when just walking through a career fair to kill time mostly - as I was 19 just about to finish my AA degree at my community college. I got the interview and I definitely didn't think I was going to get anywhere with it but next thing I know I'm an ETL and my leaders have been pushing me to finish my BA and have really worked with me a lot to help me maintain my life balance of the craziness that can come as an ETL and still going to school. I recently passed STL interviews and have been told that as long as I'm open to relocating I could probably receive that placement within a few months of receiving my BA degree. So they are making me finish my BA before I can move up the ladder further - which is completely understandable to me and I'd like to have my BA anyway.

I started in Fall 2015. I was at at the minimum 52k starting. I'm in the mid 60's now. I think that's a big point we're trying to voice too - there aren't many other positions with companies that in such a short time in the same job title that you'll see such quick/large pay increases.

Retail management has its good and bads. Just depends if you're cut out for it. From my experience probably only 1/4 of the ones who come into it - succeed. Probably even less than that. It's not that it makes those who do succeed any better than others who don't. Retail is just so different and really your personality and work ethic traits all have to be perfectly in-line to really "make it" in most situations in this kind of work environment. It's not worth trying to be someone you're not to try to succeed in this business. I'll quit the day I feel like I can't be genuine anymore.

Sorry, that probably came off a bit strange - like I'm discouraging you/dogging Target/I don't know. I'm in a rambly mood. Hopefully I answered your question lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back