Archived Another flow question

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first several days have been good enough. I have been getting put in new areas of the store when pushing and having a chance to at least learn the layout of those aisles more or less.

On the line I have been in the same place pretty much every time but earlier this week we were understaffed because everyone went to the pfresh truck so I got to help with a few more pallets than normal.

My big question I guess is after how long working there will they have me go bowl, or do whatever. I am a little worried because I am completely clueless on that.

New TMs are usually taught to bowl first at our store. Up to the TL I guess. Show them how the aisles work and what (5) means and all that stuff, than send them to push when the unload is done since pretty much everything you will need to know about pushing can be explained when learning how to bowl properly. 2nd Locations, endcaps, sidecaps, etc.

If you have been pushing reading the labels, bowling is pretty much putting the box where it should be pushed. And where to drop the pallets to work from is usually listed on the label of the block pallet.

Do they teach people not to throw things down the aisles when they bowl at other stores? There is a MAJOR amount of damage done to merchandise at our store. I've told management about it and and it's just ignored. When they picked up the ESIM Bins we had over 20.

Its definitely mentioned at our store not to throw certain things when getting trained to bowl, (chem, hbo, grc) but it still happens. Ive pretty much been moved to BR completely so I cant comment on how much stuff gets damaged anymore, it was bad for a while.

Most of the stuff that gets damaged for us is from unload or sometime before it. I haven't heard of bowling being that bad. Obviously, you should take into account what the item is before you decide to be less than delicate with it.

Bowling is just taking freight off the pallets and putting them into the aisle. If you know how to read the labels, you should be fine.

Our bowlers just set the boxes down on the floor instead of throwing them.

That would be great. When I come in you can't even walk down the aisles because of the way it's thrown. It's upside down, on it's sides. They do stack it on the desk leaking and on the floor in receiving where the tub usually sits though!

Our bowlers just set the boxes down on the floor instead of throwing them.

That would be great. When I come in you can't even walk down the aisles because of the way it's thrown. It's upside down, on it's sides. They do stack it on the desk leaking and on the floor in receiving where the tub usually sits though!

Yeah, it's still difficult to get in and out of the aisles because all the boxes are in the way, but at least they're not being thrown.

Most of the stuff that gets damaged for us is from unload or sometime before it. I haven't heard of bowling being that bad. Obviously, you should take into account what the item is before you decide to be less than delicate with it.

Bowling is just taking freight off the pallets and putting them into the aisle. If you know how to read the labels, you should be fine.
The stuff that is damaged on the truck is just left on the truck. In the rare event that it is picked up it's usually stacked on the floor outside of the dock door.

To me the whole process would be more efficient on third shift. Now the freight is pulled out and the majority is pulled back before 8. It reloaded again onto flats and pulled back out to the floor. How many times does freight need to be to be touched?

You can't always tell when it's damaged right off the truck, that's what I'm referring to.

Pure efficiency is no longer the goal of logistics. It's 'how efficient can we be with a system that throttles by design?' Flow team is essentially being made into sales floor team with 'vibing' essentially being "how can we get this guest to buy more shit they don't need?" If it weren't based on sales, there's no way in hell any stores would run a 6AM+ process.

Yea. It's sad that they do worry more about speed than efficiency. Being on the flow team is a tough job because they are worked hard and it's tough to vibe with a smiling face sometimes!:spiteful:

To me the whole process would be more efficient on third shift. Now the freight is pulled out and the majority is pulled back before 8. It reloaded again onto flats and pulled back out to the floor. How many times does freight need to be to be touched?

This. Seeing as I work in a high volume store, I can't fathom how ULV stores get anything done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back