Archived Any CTL's out there willing to give some pros/cons of your position?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjl

I'm thinking of applying for a CTL position that will be opening to in a few months. Just trying to determine if it's really worth the extra pay/responsibility.

At my store, our CTL is sometimes treated as a hardlines TL. If he's opening during the week, he does P-Fresh stuff (along with a PA or other P-Fresh-trained TM), but if he's closing or working on the weekend, then he oversees the hardlines team instead.

I know this may sound stupid but I am not a fully aquainted with the target lingo. what does p fresh stand for? Is that grocery?

I know this may sound stupid but I am not a fully aquainted with the target lingo. what does p fresh stand for? Is that grocery?

P-Fresh is a designation used for stores that carry fresh foods (produce, meat, etc.) but do not have a full grocery like a SuperTarget. In SuperTargets, each area of fresh foods has its own TL (i.e. Meat TL, Bakery TL, Produce TL, etc.), but P-Fresh stores have one Consumables TL, or CTL, over P-Fresh and dry market.

I'm thinking of applying for a CTL position that will be opening to in a few months. Just trying to determine if it's really worth the extra pay/responsibility.

If you have to be the TL of pfresh and dry market I would say a big fat NO for if its worth it. I bet my CTL makes maybe a whole $1 more than me and they have a crap load of responsibility, and honestly probably the hardest TL position in the entire store. I would say their responsibility falls just short of an ETL in all honestly. Thankfully our whole market team is amazing so its not as tough as it could be but still very challenging. If you want to challenge yourself and are looking to move up to ETL than by all means consider it but it is alot of work and responsibility for not that much more pay.

I am a CTL at my store that recently went PFresh ( July ) and I love the responsibility. As another user pointed out, at least at my store which is one of the higher volume stores nearby, I spend about half of my time each week split between running all of Market ( Vendors, PFresh Team, Zoners, CAF Pullers of Food ) and the other half running all of Hardlines. Is it worth it? It depends on what you are looking for from Target. Do you just want to be a Team Lead and this is the only spot open? If so, don't pick it up. If you want to take on what may not be the most detail oriented TL position in the store in order to own it and move it, than yes, it is. Doing great in Pfresh will likely mean more to a DTL when you go for SR TL interviews than being a TL over Target Cafe or Pricing, as examples.

Pros: Prestigious position if you are succesful. If you are passionate about food it can be fun at times. Most of the leadership team is intimidated by Market so you'll rarely have people in your business. Depending on their quality of work the vendors can be enjoyable to work with.

Cons: ALOT of responsibility. Steritech and DTL visits are frequent. Bad vendors are a giant pain in the @ss! You have to performance manage more than most because your department's success largely rests on the quality of the TM's. Most of the leadership team is intimidated by Market so you'll rarely have any backup or help in your absence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back