Archived Any suggestions on filing taxes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not even sure if there is a problem asking this here, but I think it's a pretty general question.

I'm using Turbotax to file my taxes. I have benefits with Target including an HSA account and a 401k. Turbotax claims that I need a whole slew of information from a couple different forms that I'm supposed to be provided with. I would assume, since many many people have the same benefits that I have, that the health bank and 401k holder would provide those forms without inquiry?

I asked a leader about claiming my 401k and she said that my contributions are made after taxes, so I don't need to file my 401k in my federal taxes. So, am I supposed to just tell Turbotax that I don't have a 401k account when it asks if I do? I don't even know what to do about my HSA account because it's included in my W2 and Turbotax wants information from a form for that as well. The only information that I have for these accounts is how much I've contributed over the year. I've looked around on the pay and benefits site and there's really nothing useful there either...

Last year I gave up and went to H&R Block figuring they would know wth to do. However, the lady I got just clicked a bunch of things on her computer until something went through and charged me almost $200. Not doing that again.

Anyone have any clue? Do I really need to contact these companies to get forms sent to me, which will probably takes weeks?

Last edited:
Did you let Turbo tax import your W2 or did you enter the numbers yourself? Many of those questions are answered directly from the boxes on the w2. Import it and see if you have less questions. I was only asked a yes or no question as to whether of not I had an HSA.

Your 401k contributions will be on your W2 and I assume you are putting money into before taxes are assessed. This reduces your current tax liability and it will be reference on the W2. Any tax program worth its salt will pick this up and not ask any other questions about it. So if TurboTax is asking for more, I'd dump it. I draw a pension currenly from one job and am contributing into retirement via another. My tax program took everything it needed from my W2 and 1099R. That's all I needed.

Get rid of TurboCrap.

Well it was asking for the 1099-R, that was one of the forms... I don't think I've ever even seen a 1099-R.

Turbo tax is your best bet. A 1099-r form which is a distribution from retirement accounts. Like Ira, etc. no on hsa, if you have a 2nd job that pays better on benefits. Which I did this year. Yes on 401k.

Last edited:
Well it was asking for the 1099-R, that was one of the forms... I don't think I've ever even seen a 1099-R.

If a tax program is asking for a 1099R, that is your fault not its. You must have somehow told it you are drawing from a retirement account.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back