Archived Any way to get around this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a guest at the SD wanting to pay his bill. He was using his debit card, which had a chip in it. The POS POS said that form of payment wasn't accepted (meaning, it was only reading his debit card as a credit card). There used to be one POS that hadn't been updated at the SD where we could go and process these payments but now that one is also updated. Any way to work around this issue?

Not sure if this would do the trick or not, but if the chip fails to read 3 times the card reader will default to paying via the swipe method even if it is a chip card. For example, last night someone's chip credit card was being run as a debit card for some reason, and I just quickly inserted and removed the chip card 3 times in the terminal which made it able to swipe, which could then be processed correctly as a credit card.

Not sure if this would do the trick or not, but if the chip fails to read 3 times the card reader will default to paying via the swipe method even if it is a chip card. For example, last night someone's chip credit card was being run as a debit card for some reason, and I just quickly inserted and removed the chip card 3 times in the terminal which made it able to swipe, which could then be processed correctly as a credit card.
I tried that the other night since I remembered reading that here, no dice. Couldn't give them to option to key their card in either. It was irritating having to tell this poor guy that he'd have to pay it over the phone.

The only thing you can really do is direct them to the ATM so they can make the payment in cash.

Oh, and apology coupons. Apology coupons, apology coupons, apology coupons. I give out 30 of those things every day now.

Use K5 for functions and then the make a payment option, that will prompt the guest to swipe their card or use the chip also

Use K5 for functions and then the make a payment option, that will prompt the guest to swipe their card or use the chip also
That is great if you have a Pre Chip Debit Card. But you can't pay off an account with a Credit Card, and right now the POS software is reading Debit Cards with Chips as Credit Cards. There is no way to make a payment on an account with them until that bug in the software is fixed. Just like you can't get Cash back on Chip Debit Cards at the moment as the system is considering them Credit Cards and prompting for a Signature.

I tried that the other night since I remembered reading that here, no dice. Couldn't give them to option to key their card in either. It was irritating having to tell this poor guy that he'd have to pay it over the phone.

Good to know. I didn't have anyone wanting to pay with a chip debit card this weekend so I didn't get a chance to test out the technique.

That is great if you have a Pre Chip Debit Card. But you can't pay off an account with a Credit Card, and right now the POS software is reading Debit Cards with Chips as Credit Cards. There is no way to make a payment on an account with them until that bug in the software is fixed. Just like you can't get Cash back on Chip Debit Cards at the moment as the system is considering them Credit Cards and prompting for a Signature.
Now I'm even happier that I got the debit red card rather than credit.
As for what I bolded, I'm reading that as the common, non-retail, version of the acronym POS.;)

Sounds like this new POS software has a few glitches to work out. Hopefully they can get this POS up and running to full capacity. Otherwise we may be forced to replace all of our POS with another POS service provider.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back