Archived Anyone else receiving more trucks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bananaman

Potassium Rules
Hi! I work at what has been designated a low volume store. We usually take three trucks a week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, with each truck around 2,000 to 2,500 pieces. We have 19 flow crew members and 5 backroom members.

Lately however, we have started receiving four trucks a week, with the extra truck being on Tuesday. We have been told by our STL that this is because the new CEO is challenging buyers, and the plan is to carry more volume in the backroom so we can keep the shelves better stocked. Lately, we've been told that the fourth truck is being moved to Saturdays because it's a company policy that if you're receiving four trucks, one of them should always be on a Saturday.

Has this been happening at anyone else's store? Has anyone heard this is the plan of the new CEO? I'm relatively new, so who determines how many trucks a store receives?

We normally get 4 trucks MWFSat. There was add-on last Tuesday and will be another one next Tuesday

We were scheduled 3 doubles this week all canceled and the single trucks have been huge(per our log ETL, I know a 2500 is average so bigger than that) of course not staffed for it since they stacked for the double trucks we never got.. So since I can backstock, yeah been fun this week..

Make of that what you will. I would love having enough product to actually stock a home location and the end cap.. Hey CEO electronics/entertainment needs this most!!!!

We get 4 a week and are low volume. Last week we got a truck on Tuesday and nobody knew about it. It really set us back and made our lives at the store that much worse.

Our store makes 35 million a year. Very busy store. We are usually "3" trucks but usually do 4 for half of the year. As a receiver it affects me too. People have that misconception that all we do is sit down and wait for someone to ring the doorbell. But there is so much more involved. Defective's, sweep, salvage, CRC ESIM, MIR, ESIM Log, check in books UPS/Fed ex, deliver mail to half of the store, do bales, my support things. Check in vendors unload the food truck oh yeah by the way Help on your downtime! If you are an efficient receiver you will have time to do this believe it or not!

We get 4 a week and are low volume. Last week we got a truck on Tuesday and nobody knew about it. It really set us back and made our lives at the store that much worse.
Sorry, but I can just see this...
"Truck pulls to dock"
Receiver: etl-log/ flow tl
Etl/tl "go for me"
Receiver "are we supposed to have a truck today? Cause you've got a 1500 piece truck that just pulled in"
Etl/tl silence or maniacal laughter

We've been getting four a week, five the week they shipped bts supplies in.

It was 2,500 after getting a 2,500 on Monday and 2,600 on Wednesday. Once had the flow tl call me at 4:30am to work a unscheduled truck. I was awake when he called and said no I'll come in at 9. We ended up just backstocking the whole truck.

When I was hired almost 2 years ago, HR told me that we received a truck every MWF and every other Sat. That quickly turned into every Saturday, and this year we have been taking one every MWFSa and every other Tues.

Our ETL-LOG and STL attribute it to higher sales, and say we are on track to easily move up to "A" volume next year.

Sorry, but I can just see this...
"Truck pulls to dock"
Receiver: etl-log/ flow tl
Etl/tl "go for me"
Receiver "are we supposed to have a truck today? Cause you've got a 1500 piece truck that just pulled in"
Etl/tl silence or maniacal laughter
Our trucks arrive late at night, long after the receiver has left and usually after the store has closed, so I could easily see how nobody would notice for a while.

It was 2,500 after getting a 2,500 on Monday and 2,600 on Wednesday. Once had the flow tl call me at 4:30am to work a unscheduled truck. I was awake when he called and said no I'll come in at 9. We ended up just backstocking the whole truck.
Why... Wouldn't it all just immediately come out in the CAFs?

Trucks are filled like CAFs are filled. Stuff gets sold at the store, DC knows about it, and they fill up the truck with what has sold out at the store.

So higher sales = quicker filling trucks.

typically a 3 truck store but weve been getting 4 consistently and even some weeks 5, no trucks smaller than 2000.

We use to average 4 trucks a week but that has grown to 5 trucks the last two to three months and with BTS we have been forecasted for 6 tucks. But after the peek BTS freight weeks we are going back to 5 , not sure if or when we go back to 4.

Trucks are filled like CAFs are filled. Stuff gets sold at the store, DC knows about it, and they fill up the truck with what has sold out at the store.

So higher sales = quicker filling trucks.

That's the theory. The reality is that buyers are judged based on how low they can get the purchase price down to. This results in stupidly high quantities of crap being sent to the DCs which then results in either a) bulk allocation to stores based on predicted sales or b) lowered threshold triggers to send additional cases to stores. This also results in greater payroll usage at the DC and store levels because SOMEONE has to scan and move the boxes around even when they don't sell but since that's not counted against gross margin, the buyers don't have to care.

I really want to meet the people who set up our FDC replenishment system and beat them with a PDA. Nothing says profit like literally throwing away more yogurt than you sell because some retard decided we need 5-10 cases of every DPCI on hand. No amount of FIFO is going to keep it from going out of date when it only has 2-3 weeks left on its shelf life by the time it even comes in to the store. The amount of milk we toss is ridiculous too.

25 cases of collard greens... I could tpc them down to .25 cents and they would just sit there. They go straight out the back door for donations.

When I was hired almost 2 years ago, HR told me that we received a truck every MWF and every other Sat. That quickly turned into every Saturday, and this year we have been taking one every MWFSa and every other Tues.

Our ETL-LOG and STL attribute it to higher sales, and say we are on track to easily move up to "A" volume next year.

Our trucks arrive late at night, long after the receiver has left and usually after the store has closed, so I could easily see how nobody would notice for a while.
Wed when we left truck was sitting at 1300. Not filling, but not closed. I joked that at 3pm after we all went home another 1k would drop and it would close. Nailed it!

Yeah we're getting more trucks as well. We took a double last week and the last double we took before that was like three years ago. Needless to say, our small team wasn't ready for that. We also added another trailer that same week and of course no one wanted to come in.

STL says its because the ports opened up. DC says its BTS freight. All I know is that we don't need any more school supplies, but we do need a bigger stockroom

My store usually gets 3 trucks a week but the last 6 weeks we've had a fourth truck probably 3 or 4 times.
We'll get a short break on extra trucks until October maybe? Christmas freight has got to start flowing to us by then. Ahhh!!!

It's hard to catch up when our morning team is so small and we only have two people total for closings and mid shifts. The other closer and I are getting burnt out.

We get a truck Mon,Weds,Friday and for the last month and a half a saturday truck also. Last week and so far this week the 6am team has been getting sent home at 9am while the 7am team stays until 10am to finish. Pretty awful only working 3 hours on truck days and being told to go home.

We are overnight and take trucks every night. Doubles are usually 3 or 4 times a week.

For the next upcoming weeks it's nothing but doubles and we have 2 triples scheduled.

When I got hired back in March we got 5 trucks a week, this entire summer we've had 6 trucks and a couple weeks where we had 7.

We have been getting more trucks too. We are a high volume store. We get trucks every night except for certain holidays or if they cancel one. We would get doubles maybe once a month but now we seem to be getting doubles once a week. We also could be getting doubles because we are behind. I work in receiving so my early mornings are usually interesting.

Also in a high volume store that changed volume grades and org charts this AE. (Strange how we bumped up a volume and org chart but have less payroll than the last 3 years when we were at A+, as opposed to AA and AA+.) We are a 7 truck store with trucks every night and a double every two weeks on Wednesday. Haven't worked doubles since 4th Q 2014. It's fun when FDC is here, then it's a triple. Thankfully we're O/N. They tried moving us to 4AM but the ETL-LOG and STL raised hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back