Archived Anyone have good shoe recommendations for standing all day cashiering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any recommendations my feet where killing me yesterday after 8 hour shift cashiering need some better tennis shoe.

I just bought your average tennis shoe, but putting some Dr. Scholls Work insoles in seems to keep my feet from overly hurting. Just get the usual pain in my calves and ankles from speedweaving at this point.

I just bought your average tennis shoe, but putting some Dr. Scholls Work insoles in seems to keep my feet from overly hurting. Just get the usual pain in my calves and ankles from speedweaving at this point.
Same here! Finally got some insoles and they really help.

People that don't use additional insoles will eventually live to regret it.

And thick socks don't hurt, either. If you don't bounce when you walk, then you need more padding.

Fit is the most important factor for a shoe not hurting your feet. Second most important is quality. I highly recommend going to a local shoe store that will measure your feet. (personal favorite is Redwing Shoe Stores) But pretty much any specialty shoe store can do this. I spent years buying a size larger than I needed trying to compensate for width. SO not good.

Quality is the next biggest factor. Many times when you first try on a shoe, it feels great. It lures you in with memory foam insoles that feel super soft and form perfectly to your foot. Then, a month later, you find the shoe has gone completely flat, and without any REAL structure, you're now left with a floppy, flat tennis shoe. **coughSKECHERScough** Seriously, I hate Skechers. Nice running shoes, but not nice for cashiering, which is basically the opposite of running.

Now, I won't buy any shoe I'm not confident will last me a couple of years. I buy my work shoes from a company called Wolverine. If you go to their site, you can look up which local retailers sell them in your area. You can do this to find some of the specialty shoe stores in your area that will actually measure you feet. Otherwise, you can also buy your shoes online. YES, they ARE expensive. However, they're totally worth it. I just replaced my previous pair that I had been wearing for 3 years. I got these babies earlier this month. Fairmont Steel-Toe Work Shoe

Steel toe, ultra durable, don't rub or pinch my foot ANYWHERE, large toe box, natural slope for good walking and posture. I am in love with their shoes! I challenge you to buy a pair, and then compare them to a tennis shoe from Target. You will feel the difference. The construction alone is phenomenal.

You get what you pay for. (with the exception of overpriced trendy brands) If you want the biggest bang for your buck, I'd recommend looking into either Wolverine (my favorite) or Redwing shoes.

Dansko or Sanita are also good brands. I bought a pair of suede clogs once on Amazon. Kinda makes me look like I'm from the 70s when I wear them...which I love. Mine have a significant heal though, (I don't wear them to work) so I have no clue if their normal clogs are good work shoes. Apparently there is a lot of debate on whether or not clogs are good or bad for the feet. But when it comes to quality of the brands overall, they definitely hold up. Very good quality shoes.

I've been told the Active insoles are good too.

ASICS!

They have gel in the soles that absorb a lot of the impact of walking on hard floors and they usually have great arch support. I'm an aggressive walker so inserts don't work very well on me but I love my Asics! You can usually find a decent 'professional' looking set (ie no bright colors, sometimes with red accents) on Amazon for about $40. I snagged these last month for $43

c881082eb4.jpg

Another thing I can recommend is going to a local runners shop. Most of them will suggest shoes based on your walking patterns (they made me strut down the sidewalk outside) and that's how I got hooked on Asics. Back when I was still backroom, I was walking 10+ miles (including a ton of ladder climbing) in a shift and I had no knee pain and very little ache in my feet.

Dansko or Sanita are also good brands. I bought a pair of suede clogs once on Amazon. Kinda makes me look like I'm from the 70s when I wear them...which I love. Mine have a significant heal though, (I don't wear them to work) so I have no clue if their normal clogs are good work shoes. Apparently there is a lot of debate on whether or not clogs are good or bad for the feet. But when it comes to quality of the brands overall, they definitely hold up. Very good quality shoes.
Dansko & Sanita are favorites amongst pharmacy folks, even the ones with the heels. I've heard they can take a few weeks to "break in," but after that, they are the most comfortable shoes you can buy.

Dansko & Sanita are favorites amongst pharmacy folks, even the ones with the heels. I've heard they can take a few weeks to "break in," but after that, they are the most comfortable shoes you can buy.

That pretty much sums up my experience too. I actually fell in them my first week. (whoops) They're really stiff shoes when you first buy them. But now they fit perfectly. In fact I think the Sanita brand advises to NOT buy a larger size if they feel snug. Also, not to buy a size smaller if there is space around the heal, because that space is supposed to be there. Because as they wear in they fit around the foot. I think Redwing does something similar on their classic work boot. They have a cork insole that eventually forms to the shape of your foot, thus providing more long-term comfort.

Basically, they're all way better than stupid memory foam or gel insoles that fall flat within a month, because they don't have any real structure to them.

That pretty much sums up my experience too. I actually fell in them my first week. (whoops) They're really stiff shoes when you first buy them. But now they fit perfectly. In fact I think the Sanita brand advises to NOT buy a larger size if they feel snug. Also, not to buy a size smaller if there is space around the heal, because that space is supposed to be there. Because as they wear in they fit around the foot. I think Redwing does something similar on their classic work boot. They have a cork insole that eventually forms to the shape of your foot, thus providing more long-term comfort.

Basically, they're all way better than stupid memory foam or gel insoles that fall flat within a month, because they don't have any real structure to them.
I actually have a pair of memory foam insoles that my podiatrist ordered for me that have lasted 6+ months. Insurance even paid for them, which surprised the hell out of me since my insurance sucks~lol! According to her, the problem with many of the insoles is that people expect them to do TOO much. She said you can't put them in a pair of flat soled shoes & expect them to last very long, the shoe has to have some sort of cushion to start with. I wear mine inside running shoes, which is probably why they've lasted so long. I have multiple issues with my feet, so support & cushion are essential. I tried a pair of danskos & couldn't get them broken in because of my issues :(

What it all comes down to is that you really do get what you pay for. If you buy cheap shoes and/or cheap insoles, don't expect much.

I actually have a pair of memory foam insoles that my podiatrist ordered for me that have lasted 6+ months. Insurance even paid for them, which surprised the hell out of me since my insurance sucks~lol! According to her, the problem with many of the insoles is that people expect them to do TOO much. She said you can't put them in a pair of flat soled shoes & expect them to last very long, the shoe has to have some sort of cushion to start with. I wear mine inside running shoes, which is probably why they've lasted so long. I have multiple issues with my feet, so support & cushion are essential. I tried a pair of danskos & couldn't get them broken in because of my issues :(

Well a good insole I trust. I've never had good luck with shoes that advertise some gimmicky built in one. Skechers has always failed me. And they aren't very cheap either. Dr. Scholls failed me too. Their shoes at least. Their insole was literally a gel balloon, that eventually tore around the seam at the back of the shoe. Keep in mind, I'm not thousands of pounds either. Lol.

Luckily I haven't ever needed insoles, but if I ever wear something flat like flip-flops for example, I can feel the stress at the bottom of my foot. I can't imagine how some of my coworkers live wearing Converse or Toms, or any other flat shoe to work.

Well a good insole I trust. I've never had good luck with shoes that advertise some gimmicky built in one. Skechers has always failed me. And they aren't very cheap either. Dr. Scholls failed me too. Their shoes at least. Their insole was literally a gel balloon, that eventually tore around the seam at the back of the shoe. Keep in mind, I'm not thousands of pounds either. Lol.

Luckily I haven't ever needed insoles, but if I ever wear something flat like flip-flops for example, I can feel the stress at the bottom of my foot. I can't imagine how some of my coworkers live wearing Converse or Toms, or any other flat shoe to work.
I agree 100% with the "gimmicky" shoes. I have 1 pair of Sketchers that I wear, but they're the "relaxed fit" with just the elastic across the top. I don't wear them if I'm going to be doing a lot of walking, though, because they don't have a ton of support. I usually wear them around the house or if I'm going to be walking outside on grass because they're fine there. The only Dr Scholls that I've ever used were the "ball of foot" pads. I stick them in my sandals & they help a little.

I've actually had the best luck with Adidas and Asics. I have foot/knee issues & they seem to provide the best support. There's a shoe store near me that analyzes your walk and chooses the best shoe based on your motion. They looked at mine and said, "yeah, we don't really have anything that can help. You really need to see a podiatrist...." LOL!!!

I can't imagine how some of my coworkers live wearing Converse or Toms, or any other flat shoe to work.
I have flat feet. Forcing my feet to be in shoes that have any sort of extra arch support is agony. My feet are happiest bare. If I could get away with wearing my Vibrams, I would!

Try Orthaheels! Zappos.com, orthoticshop.com and QVC.com all have them. A little bit pricey but they saved my feet. That damn black rubber mat does nothing. NOTHING.

compression socks or compression sleeves help.. Also alternate shoes daily, get insoles too - New balance are good shoes but are pricey. I have found the ones sold in Kohl's are not the same or as good as the ones sold at the new balance store.

I stick to new balance. The good ones at the actual NB store. Not something you can buy at Sears, Kohl's, etc. I spend about $100-150 on them and they last forever. Theyre that expensive because i have a really wide foot and only a few styles come in my size or bigger. Best thing is, there is no "breaking in" period. Right from the first time they fit perfect. Its because the shoes come in varieties of widths.. they also tell you if you have a high instep, and the fact my feet roll a little when I walk so I have a rollbar in my shoe too.

Last edited:
Hippie shoes, they provide no protection against tubs, flats or pallets, or heavy boxes running over or being dropped on your feet.
I'd rate 0/5 in comfort, and 10/5 in pain.
Depending how young you are you feet just get used to the hard floor assuming you can stand after two weeks avoided getting your ankle clipped off with a tub or flat. Which is why i wear backpacking boots with ankle support, your achilles heel will thank you, just make sure you have two shoes to switch between so they don't stink.

Chiming in for backroom/flow!

After experiencing constant numbness in my toes and pain in the balls of my feet that left me hobbling around the house I decided to buy a nice pair of Red Wings work boots (~$250 for boots + insoles) I hated to spend so much, but I read numerous accounts of Red Wings lasting 10+ years...I wore holes through my $60 tennis shoes in my first 2 months at Spot.

I was so afraid I was causing permanent damage, but I don't have any numbness now and only have minor discomfort after particularly hard shifts.

I've clipped my ankle with tubs/flats/skids a few times- when I wore normal tennis shoes it took my breath away. Now? I don't even notice it.

I love these things!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back