Anyone know how mileage reimbursement works?

Hello everyone! I recently took on a temporary position of Market Inventory Flow Leader, and am traveling to a bunch of stores in my area. My instructions say to use SAP Concur to enter my mileage to be reimbursed for any travel outside of my normal commute (to and from each store, minus the mileage of my normal commute) however, there aren't really any clear instructions on how to enter my mileage, other than "Instead of submitting a request daily, if you have multiple reimbursement requests please submit them together, two week at a time" anyone used it before? My questions are:

Do I submit a request for my travel there, and one for my travel home? Or just one, where the starting point is home, 2nd stop is the store, and 3rd stop is home? I see the spot to set my normal commute "deduction route" as a round trip, but not the commute to the store.

When I tried to make a request the first day, it said "add to report" but no reports exist. How do I make a report?

Do I actually wait 2 weeks to submit a report? Should I do it more often? Less often?

If one of the stores is over 2 hours from me, will they expense a hotel for the night, so I'm not driving two hours home to sleep for 4 hours and drive two hours back? Or are they going to want me to drive back home and back to work? Going off the mileage reimbursement price ($0.655 per mile) it would be almost $200 in reimbursement for a round trip to that store 2 days in a row, seems a hotel would be cheaper and more efficient for both of us.

Edit: The app is already set up on my phone and linked to me, just don't know how to enter and submit for reimbursement. Specific instructions weren't given for that.

Last edited:
So you should really partner with your HR/SD about the hotel thing. It can vary and it’s up to them on what they want to do. However, for the mileage itself you need to go in and put your starting point and the ending point. Use the map function. Then you need to deduct your daily commute to/from work. There is a function to use for this on there. Then calculate. It should calculate everything you are driving and take out what you normally drive and what’s left is what you get paid for.
You do this for each day you are traveling and then when you have a couple weeks worth then submit it. if you were only going once or twice, you don’t need to wait a couple weeks to submit but if you are going as many times as you are saying then yes you should wait and let them accumulate and then submit it so you just have one report that they would need to approve.

It can be confusing at first. Have your SD or whoever you are reporting to how you the first time and it should be pretty straight forward from there.
My ETL I'm currently reporting to had no idea how to do it, helped me download and set up the app, but hadn't done it themselves yet and haven't figured it out. I'm not currently reporting to an SD, next above my ETL is my DSD, and I've yet to see him at any of the inventories yet to even attempt to partner with him.

So you should really partner with your HR/SD about the hotel thing. It can vary and it’s up to them on what they want to do. However, for the mileage itself you need to go in and put your starting point and the ending point. Use the map function. Then you need to deduct your daily commute to/from work. There is a function to use for this on there. Then calculate. It should calculate everything you are driving and take out what you normally drive and what’s left is what you get paid for.
You do this for each day you are traveling and then when you have a couple weeks worth then submit it. if you were only going once or twice, you don’t need to wait a couple weeks to submit but if you are going as many times as you are saying then yes you should wait and let them accumulate and then submit it so you just have one report that they would need to approve.
It's 3 months I'll be out, 2 stores each week. Do I need to create a report? How do I do that, and do I do that now or when I'm ready to submit it? I see how to put in my mileage, and how to put in my normal commute for it to deduct, but it says "Add to report" at the end and I don't know how to do that part. So, I make one for the trip there, and one for the trip home each day? Then add all those to the report and submit it after a couple weeks? I'm not too concerned if I miss the first few stores, but toward the end there are a couple that are 100+ miles from me, so I'd definitely like to get reimbursed for those. Thanks for your help, I've been at Target for 10+ years but this is my first time traveling, never had to do anything like this before.

There’s a mobile APP you can download, or search “concur” in WorkBench.
Through it You can get reimbursed for mileage on your personal car, parking, public transport, lodging and (meals, if approved).
You add all expenses to a report than submit the report. I would suggest creating a report for every week adding expenses to it , and than submitting it before the pay week.
When putting in mileage:
Do Not worry about deducting commute just enter starting point and destination, and select round trip. You can add as many destinations as you need.
So I have the app already and have it set up, but I'm just not sure how to add the mileage to a report exactly. Where do I make a report? I go to submit the mileage and it says "Add to report" but then it goes to a screen for me to select a report, but there's no reports there to add it to. Am I making 1 report for the entire 3 months? One for every 2 week period? Or one every day? Does it create a report automatically, or do I have to make it myself (and how)?

It's easier on a Chromebox than on the app.

Search concur
Go to start a report on home page
Give report a name and purpose and hit create report.
Hit add expense
Mileage, car personal
Put in the date (of travel), business purpose, origin, destination, and distance.
Save expense.
Repeat for 2 weeks. Then submit report.

The distance is for each day round trip from your store unless your home is closer to the destination, then do the distance from home.

If you are lucky enough to get away with not doing the “deduct commute” then That’s great for you. But any HRBP or whomever is approving it that knows what they are doing is going to flag that and send it right back to be fixed. I’ve done a LOT of support help and they are not supposed to pay you for mileage that you would drive on a normal basis. But if you do it and it passes …..🤷‍♀️. I guess if no one explained it to you you could plead the fifth.

My ETL I'm currently reporting to had no idea how to do it, helped me download and set up the app, but hadn't done it themselves yet and haven't figured it out. I'm not currently reporting to an SD, next above my ETL is my DSD, and I've yet to see him at any of the inventories yet to even attempt to partner with him.
Send him an email and ask. Or his secretary. They could possibly email you instructions if you don’t see them.

It's easier on a Chromebox than on the app.

Search concur
Go to start a report on home page
Give report a name and purpose and hit create report.
Hit add expense
Mileage, car personal
Put in the date (of travel), business purpose, origin, destination, and distance.
Save expense.
Repeat for 2 weeks. Then submit report.

The distance is for each day round trip from your store unless your home is closer to the destination, then do the distance from home.
Thank you for explaining, that made it easy! I don't want to post my personal stuff outright in here, but do you think I could send you a message with what I did and see if I did it correctly before submitting?

Back