Archived AP-TL Pay

Status
Not open for further replies.

RS190

APTL
I'm a sr. Tps, I'm being looked at for an aptl spot soon. The thing is I work in one state now and the possible position is in one state over. I'm fine with the commute, it's fine that I wouldn't need to move, but it's the money that concerns me. I'm cranking the numbers and based on gas prices, distance, and the fact my current state pays time and a half on Sundays but I don't believe the other state does, it's looking like I'd have to get a $3-4 raise just to break even. I want the position, it'd be a great career move, but I can't afford to lose money on this. My question is based on let's say my pay is in the high 12's now, is it realistic to sit down with my APBP and ask this much? I've little idea what aptl's make, so anybody who knows more on the subject I'd greatly appreciate the assist.

If you're making $12.xx, I'd definitely push for at least $16.xx. I was able to negotiate my starting wage higher by $1.50 an hour over their initial offer. If they really want you for the role, they'll offer you more.

If you're making $12.xx, I'd definitely push for at least $16.xx. I was able to negotiate my starting wage higher by $1.50 an hour over their initial offer. If they really want you for the role, they'll offer you more.
I was told longevity with the company helps, I've been a Sr/TPS for 2.5 years, Target as a whole over 5

I was told longevity with the company helps, I've been a Sr/TPS for 2.5 years, Target as a whole over 5

I'd say in your case it certainly does. You work in a role that is primarily staffed with people they want to develop (TPS/Sr TPS), you've done it long enough that you have obviously learned the role well and are eligible to promote, and they have been looking at you and talking to you about that APTL role. I'd say it's very likely that your leaders, including the APBP/DTL, want you in that position. And that gives you leverage when it comes to starting pay.

Now I wouldn't be greedy and ask for the moon... but whatever they offer you, they likely have wiggle room above that. Push for it.

@RS190, I have a few questions.

Do you plan on making this a career?

Do you have a degree/plan on getting a degree?

If so, mentioned any that applies. Your APBP will consider your offer more seriously. Build a relationship with your HR ETL. They are the ones that usually help negotiate your pay.

My ETL-HR hates AP because she thinks we just sit in the office. She's been caught saying she feels AP as a whole is overpaid, I don't think I'll have much luck there

My ETL-HR hates AP because she thinks we just sit in the office. She's been caught saying she feels AP as a whole is overpaid, I don't think I'll have much luck there
I wish all ETL's were given training on what AP does on a daily basis. It doesn't have to be extensive, but it sure would be nice.

(sorry to go off topic, RS190)

I've figuratively opened eyes amongst my leadership team simply by showing them the MyRoutines document and talking for a minute about all of the daily/weekly/monthly/as-needed tasks we are required to do... even before we get into any sort of theft resolution.

I'd recommend any ETL-AP/APTL do the same at the next LOD meeting they attend.

Reactions: On6
It's the HRBP that has the ultimate approval. A couple years ago, I passed interviews for an APL position (I was a sr. tps) and they only offered me the base rate increase. When I made the case that the base rate wouldn't even cover the cost of commuting to this store that was double the distance I was currently driving, they wouldn't budge on the offer. I countered and asked for an extra dollar JUST to cover the gas expense, they said no and I ultimately turned down the promotion. I was a Sr.TPS for 5 years at the point. They assume you will just accept whatever lousy offer they make you since you're already working for them. Hold firm and if it doesn't make sense, counter-offer, and don't be afraid to say NO. Being a Sr.TPS is one of the greatest positions there is! Just remember, all the stress and expectations that come with being an APTL versus a TPS. Don't sell yourself short. You can stay a TPS and within a few years be making the same range as a APTL without the stress. Sometimes promoting isn't worth it.

@RS190 any updates?
In my thread "got passed over for a promotion because..." I vented about how I was supposed to take over a store, but the stl of that store veto'd it because he had a team member he wanted to promote in the building and was worried an external hire would hurt morale.

I'm the AP-TL backfill for my district, it's just nobody is moving yet. There's one that's claimed they want to leave AP so hopefully I get that store.

We recently had a visit from the APBP, district investor, special investigations tl, and the new APML. The first two love me already, and I was told I impressed the other two, so hopefully that bodes well for me

So, what exactly is the difference between the APBP and APML? And what are their duties?
I know mostly what the investigators do and what not, but I'm a little hazy on Target's Business Partner positions.

APBP oversees the district whereas AP market leader is above and oversees the region I believe.

APBP oversees the district whereas AP market leader is above and oversees the region I believe.

That's close. The APBP oversees several districts (my old APBP had three, my new one only has two), the APML oversees the group. Then above them is the region AP.

RS190, I think I mentioned this in your other thread, but don't lose faith or motivation and just keep at it. AP, unlike most positions at Target, is what I call an "Up or out" type of position. If you're in AP, you're either working to promote down the line, or you don't enjoy AP/don't get results/don't have passion and you're basically on your way out. New AP leader positions open up all the time. As a Sr TPS who is on the APTL bench, you just have the waiting game in front of you.

I'm in no way losing motivation. If anything I'm a little annoyed a leader in my district has made it known they want out, but hasn't actually done anything to indicate they're leaving. But I'm settling into my role, getting results, and leading the store more than the aps' at this point

That's great, keep it up! Sorry I wasn't trying to imply you were losing motivation (or need a random guy on the internet to motivate you). I think I'm overly sensitive to team member's feeling down right now due to the TM I'm mentoring not getting an interview for an APTL position, and him feeling very discouraged.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back