Archived Application/Interview Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

I was kind of confused about the situation I just found myself in so I decided I'd go ahead and see if you all could provide any insight. I recently applied to my local target for a part time gsa position that was open. They called me the next day to schedule an interview for the following day. Today was that interview day and it seemed like everything was going great except for the TL who I was having the interview with had written Cashier as the position I was applying for on his interview paper. I asked him about it and mentioned I was applying for gsa. So he looked at the application, confirmed that and then stated that well its just about the same interview since its all front end and we continued that interview.

After that they got me into another interview with an ETL which again went great, although she kept mentioning things that made it seem like I would be a cashier. Such as "on my team we need all cashiers to explain the benefits of red cards effectively, can you do that?" Implying 'd be on the cashier team.

So I guess Im wondering whether or not they have decided to not consider what I applied for and instead interview me for another position without informing me...? They scheduled me for the third interview with the STL, so Im wondering exactly what to do?

Also sorry if I posted this in the wrong section, or the answer is somewhere else. I tried to search but couldn't yield any results.

We don't usually hire GSAs from the outside. A third interview with the STL, tells me that they are considering you for that.

We don't usually hire GSAs from the outside. A third interview with the STL, tells me that they are considering you for that.
That meaning they are considering me for a cashier?

If you have an interview with the Stl then they are more than likely interviewing you for the GSA opening .

Shouldn't be an issue, just ask the STL before the interview gets going. Maybe the implication for the red card question was asking if you could explain red cards to cashiers or to guests if you had to jump on a lane. You would still obviously be cashier trained.

Be careful, ask questions. Red cards are not your friend. Cashiers are not your friends, because you have to haunt them on redcards.. i would walk around the spot to see how mgt works at different times of the day.

Be careful, ask questions. Red cards are not your friend. Cashiers are not your friends, because you have to haunt them on redcards.. i would walk around the spot to see how mgt works at different times of the day.
Well this store I believe is actually #1 in the district and group for red card sign ups. They had I believe it said about 72 redcards as their weekly goal, and another sign said they had hit their goal for the last week as well. This is all according to what the posters and ETL informed me of.

I'm forced into the Cashier position so when and if I transfer to a new part of the store they'll have backup. Just didn't know it'd take almost 3 months for them to even consider taking me out lol.

Currently, at my store, all interviews for any position go to the 3rd interview with our STL. So it could be the same for that store, but as they mentioned GSA is usually an internal position, not normally from the outside.

Currently, at my store, all interviews for any position go to the 3rd interview with our STL. So it could be the same for that store, but as they mentioned GSA is usually an internal position, not normally from the outside.
I realize GSA is usually an internal position, although they listed it on their external hire site, another store in my area had the exact same listing for an external hire for a GSA position. So Idk whats up but they have listings for it regardless.

Just as side note, my instinct says that its the same way at this store. It seems ULV because the ETL was an ETL SF/GE, and the way they mentioned the third interview with the STL made it sound like standard procedure for anyone.

Last edited:
I realize GSA is usually an internal position, although they listed it on their external hire site, another store in my area had the exact same listing for an external hire for a GSA position. So Idk whats up but they have listings for it regardless.

Just as side note, my instinct says that its the same way at this store. It seems ULV because the ETL was an ETL SF/GE, and the way they mentioned the third interview with the STL made it sound like standard procedure for anyone.
An etl being GE/SF doesn't mean ULV. Granted it's probably not high but my store isnt ULV and we have etl GE/SF

We just hired a GSA but she is supplementing hours as a cashier. Our GSA's all get a lot of hours but we needed someone to take about 20 hours of mid shifts. When you get your training schedule it should be clear where you are working.

We did have someone apply as a GSA and we ended up assigning them to cashier. The skills are similar but a little different, I would just be up front and ask.

Our STL does the third interview for any position if she is in the store that day. She loves doing interviews. We have hired external GSA's. GSA's only make 50 cents more an hour than a cashier with a lot more stress. When you go in for your interview with the STL I would mention again that you applied for the GSA position.

Our STL does the third interview for any position if she is in the store that day. She loves doing interviews. We have hired external GSA's. GSA's only make 50 cents more an hour than a cashier with a lot more stress. When you go in for your interview with the STL I would mention again that you applied for the GSA position.

You say they have a lot more stress but they also aren't put under as much pressure for red cards.

You say they have a lot more stress but they also aren't put under as much pressure for red cards.
ASANTS.
At my store GSAs/GSTLs are the first ones leadership goes after in terms of RC performance day to day.
Whatever the hounding the cashiers are submitted to is only a fraction of what our GSAs/GSTLs get from above.

ASANTS.
At my store GSAs/GSTLs are the first ones leadership goes after in terms of RC performance day to day.
Whatever the hounding the cashiers are submitted to is only a fraction of what our GSAs/GSTLs get from above.

Same at my store. The GSA's/GSTL's have a lot of red card pressure. Cashiers have to ask every guest but the GSA's/GSTL's get talked to if the cashiers don't get enough red cards during their shifts.

Before you go convincing the STL what a great GSA you'd make, be sure it's something you want. As a GSA, you have to run the front lanes, deal with tough guests, and drive REDcards. In my humble opinion (and many others'), GSA pay does not compensate for the pressure and stress. However, if you're hoping to move up to be a TL it's a good position to get noticed in.

Before you go convincing the STL what a great GSA you'd make, be sure it's something you want. As a GSA, you have to run the front lanes, deal with tough guests, and drive REDcards. In my humble opinion (and many others'), GSA pay does not compensate for the pressure and stress. However, if you're hoping to move up to be a TL it's a good position to get noticed in.

You put it so well, I know it's a slightly more prestigious position than cashiering but again for only fifty cents more and a lot more to multitask.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back