Archived Applied for TPS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been at my store for almost 4 years now, and recently a TPS position opened up. I applied because I'm going to have to start looking for my own place soon and the 14-25 variable hours per week on the sales floor just aren't going to cut it. What should I expect to get asked in the interview (if i get one)? Is it going to be the same old "tell about a time where you were part of a team," etc etc...?

I'm not quite sure about the questions that get asked but I'm sure it won't be a problem because recently we had a girl from guest service apply for a TPS opening and she got it. The funny thing is she is really, really small. Me and the other cart attendants joke around saying a guy can just grab a tv and walk out the store while stiff arming her lol

From my experience, it's extremely hard breaking into AP from a TM role.. unless you have a really good relationship with the ETL-AP. If the ETL-AP finds you to be someone trustful, reliable, and who can contribute/grow as an individual-- chances are good. But many ETL-AP's (esp with experience) are extremely picky and don't choose just anyone.. many hire from outside the company. You should talk to them, ask what the expectations are, and sell yourself. You have a better chance that way than just applying.

I was speaking with one of my friends who went from being SFTM to TPS and she said it was a very easy process. It was hardly an interview she said, was only a few general questions. Said team member was very efficient and probably one of our best on the floor, could be just our store though.

we had a cart attendent go to tps and was chosen over brand TM so good luck ! the interview wont be hard at all ..

Thanks guys!
I'd say I have a great relationship with all of my TL's, ETL's, and STL. I take a very upbeat and proactive approach to my job and I think I've shown them numerous times that I'm someone they can rely on and trust. Probably shouldn't sweat it but I've put so much of myself into working for this company it would be such a disappointment if I didn't get chosen!

Good luck!! AP is a whole different world and can lead to many other opportunities both inside of spot and on the outside!

i interviewed for it, was a fairly easy interview (gsa interview was harder). Just use your experience at Target to help you through the questions.

(i lost the job to a cop pretty much ahha)

I went from an early morning backroom TM to TPS then Senior TPS and now I am a Assets Protection Leader, the interview will be tell me about a time questions. It is a whole new side of Target that most TMs have no idea about.

Update...

So my STL and AP-ETL finally set up the for tomorrow!
Wasn't expecting to have it on a day that I work so I bought a nice button-up shirt, tie, and pants just for the occasion...I still kinda want to bring it to change into from the regular red and khaki when it's time for the interview though. Is that ok or would it be going a little too overboard?

Wasn't expecting to have it on a day that I work so I bought a nice button-up shirt, tie, and pants just for the occasion...I still kinda want to bring it to change into from the regular red and khaki when it's time for the interview though. Is that ok or would it be going a little too overboard?

You should just wear a nice red button-up shirt with your kackis to work.. they already know what you dress like, no need to get a suit and tie... a nice red dress up shirt would be fine.. you know, something ETL's would wear on visit days (lol)

Update...

Goodluck Im still for a response to my interview.

TPS is a joke. Don't by any means expect it to be anything like real security or real loss prevention. Just my $0.02....

Is your goal to be an ETL-AP? If not then its not gonna do any good if you're looking for any kinda LE experience or something to do with actual assets protection with another company or anything.

Is your goal to be an ETL-AP? If not then its not gonna do any good if you're looking for any kinda LE experience or something to do with actual assets protection with another company or anything.

I see that you are listed as former TPS. So I have no doubt your speaking from past/previous experience. Maybe your store was holding you back or just had a bad experience but the TPS at my store does the work he expected to do. Mainly because our ETL-AP doesnt give a **** .

I've seen several of my store's tms go from sales floor to AP. I was actually hired as a seasonal tm and then went into AP. If you can look intimidating, conduct apprehensions within the proper parameters, collaborate with your AP market and the IC, work with minimal supervision and be motivated, then maybe AP is right for you. Your store needs to think you have those qualities as well.

I've seen several of my store's tms go from sales floor to AP. I was actually hired as a seasonal tm and then went into AP. If you can look intimidating, conduct apprehensions within the proper parameters, collaborate with your AP market and the IC, work with minimal supervision and be motivated, then maybe AP is right for you. Your store needs to think you have those qualities as well.

Spot on, with being a TPS I only reported to my ETL and you have to motivate to get things done. Now as an APL I report to my STL and I only status with her once a week so the rest of the week is up to me to get stuff done.

I'm actually going to college for a degree in Geology so I'll probably be working for Target for just another 2-3 years

Yes I am speaking from experience. Honestly it may have just been my store or my district, or just my region, but ask any TPS out of southern California and they'll tell you its a crock of sh*t. As a TPS in CA you have to get a California Guard Card issued by the state. It allows you to do anything that any other unarmed security officer gets to do, unless you are employed by Target. Then you get expected by the company to do everything yet you're allowed by policy to do pretty much nothing other than watch people and write reports. In my year as a TPS in a store that was stolen from quite frequently I was only a part of 3 arrests out of maybe 6 that took place. Although by any other security standard there could have been several hundred of them, by Targets incredibly stupid policy they were not possible. For some reason Target would rather cover their ass from getting sued by a criminal rather than stop the criminal, save their product/money and put a bad person in jail or at least start a criminal record for them. Also the fact that as Target security you are not allowed to carry any sort of non-lethal weapons is ridiculous, especially in a high crime/violent crime area where I lived in the greater Los Angeles area. TPS is pathetic. All you are really allowed to do is be a visual deterrent, watch people on camera, and write pointless reports.

Despite all this negativity about TPS I did get to experience something cool a few times and that was getting to stop check/credit fraud a few times and kicking unruly people out of the store. But other than that it was a pretty boring experience.

Evan, I have to disagree with you. I was a sr.tps for several years and it was the best job i've ever had! Maybe because you were in a bad area your experience wasn't that great, but once you get promoted to senior, you get to actually make your own stops. I was in a store that didn't micromanage, and allowed me to set my own routines, conduct investigations, and basically choose between the office/sales floor time. It wasn't just strictly receipt checks at the doors, although that is one of the requirements. Being at a low risk store, and one of maybe two TPS', it was important to have a good balance of door/sales floor/office time to make the best use of your hours. I can honestly say no other role within the store compares to the adventures of being a TPS-- you get recoveries, to conduct investigations, make/assist apprehensions, and just about be your own boss.. AND you build awesome relationships with the execs and realize they're real people and not robots lol

You're experience was FAR better than mine then lol. My ETL-AP was a female (so some obvious over compensating due to the fact that she was in a primarily male role, in our area anyway, with extreme micro managing) and was someone who got denied by the FBI after college, so again something she was somewhat bitter about and decided to take it out on her subordinates, also she was just a complete b*tch. And then the two APS's that we had were incompetent micro managing fools. The only ones who actually knew wtf was going on was the Sr.TPS and the 3 other TPS's I worked with.

So crappy leadership, stupid Target policies, and a desire to do much more than I could lead to my oh so lame experience as a TPS. Yes I am still very bitter about it almost a year later. Oh well....

My advice is just be careful, I'm sure at some stores you can have a great time as a TPS, but stay away from it if you are in the Los Angeles area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back