Archived Applying for Pharm tech?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Formina Sage

Probably still better than you at the stacker
Staff member
Administrator
So techs in my store are PG13, and what with new TL's starting at PG11, I figure why not apply for a tech position? There's a little less accountability from a standpoint of managing store processes and talent - which I'm ambivalent about, but for someone who wants to resume classes at school again in the near future, this might actually be healthier for me (not so much "taking my work home with me")

So, A: What kind of promotional opportunities are there by being a Pharmacy Tech? If my STL passes along her thoughts of how Hi-Po I am, would that do anything to help me there?

B: How do I actually apply? I don't recall seeing the job in JAS within eHR or anything...did I miss it somewhere?

C: Should I tough it out and stick with my roadmap to promote to TL? I just realized that if I do promote to a dayside TL, that dollar raise I'd receive would be negated by the loss of my shift differential lol...

Go for it & get pharmacy tech certified. My state has a 100 question for the test. Mamak1 can answer those questions.

There is only one promotion for pharm tech, which is Pharm tech TL if your pharmacy is busy enough to justify that position. The big thing is how many technicians actually work there and also how high the auto refill counts are.

Last I checked a certified position was pg 13 and non was PG 11 though that may have changed, some states (ie over half) require certification to be one and Target only accepts PTCB. It is wise to be certified even if your state does not require it as you will lose considerable flexibility in the job market.

You should be able to apply within the store or online if a position is available. If not, you can try other stores and as a pharm tech you can pick up hours at other stores as available.

Last edited:
Sounds like you are in the same boat I'm in FS!!

My TL and ETL both told me that they would like to me apply for a TL position if one becomes available, but, the dollar raise would be worthless to me since I will lose the shift differential... Kinda takes all the enthusiasm I had for going into a TL position away.... Why would anyone want to do more work, have more responsibilities, and be more accountable if there isn't any incentive to do so?

Go for the tech position!! It will be less stress and more money, plus you will learn things that you wouldn't learn in any other area within Target!!

um pharmacy is a ****load of stress, more than salesfloor in my opnion and i've been a tech for target for 3 years. dont let the big desk behind the registers fool you. Its like trading one stress for another stress. Im nationally certified and even if you arent technicians are on the same level as team leads. You need to be able to think on your own and solve problems quickly. If i need to tell the pharmacist to do something they do it. No one tries to pull ranks like on the salesfloor. You have alot of regulars and they expect a certain level of service and at the end of the day all anyone cares about is money. You can go out of your way to make them happy but if their meds arent covered by insurance or if it needs a prior authorization they hate you. but if you can deal with a high stress environment apply. dont get me wrong i love my job but im just so sick and tired of salesfloor people thinking pharmacy is easy because they did back up cashiering a couple of times, thats just a taste of what we do. The technicians actually run the show and the pharmacist are just there to make sure we accurately transcribe the order from the doctor and to counsel patient and make sure no drug interactions happen. oh and just like any other workcenter in target corporate just cares that your scores are good, not so much of how you make it happen, oh thats frustrating too.just my 2 cents...

Last edited:
I do backup pharmacy, cashiering. I see the line of guests & jump in. Your team is an important part of the store. Some folks don't get it, I do.

ok then i say go for it you start at paygrade 13 and if you get nationally certified they give you an additional dollar. im sorry i sounded harsh but im dealing with back up cashiers in my pharmacy because we are short staffed and they are so dumb (you tell them the same thing over and over again and they still dont understand). Just be prepared to put in hard work and try to memorize the top 200 drugs brand-generic and you will go far. also learn sig codes like bid,qid,qd, po, ou, os, etc it will help you soooo much. also you have to register with your state board of pharmacy and you pay for that but if you keep your paper work target reimburses you, in my state i have to pay every two years and on top of that i have to renew my national license too. so i pay like $130 every two years to keep my license and registration active.

pharmgirl said:
um pharmacy is a ****load of stress, more than salesfloor in my opnion and i've been a tech for target for 3 years. dont let the big desk behind the registers fool you. Its like trading one stress for another stress. Im nationally certified and even if you arent technicians are on the same level as team leads. You need to be able to think on your own and solve problems quickly. If i need to tell the pharmacist to do something they do it. No one tries to pull ranks like on the salesfloor. You have alot of regulars and they expect a certain level of service and at the end of the day all anyone cares about is money. You can go out of your way to make them happy but if their meds arent covered by insurance or if it needs a prior authorization they hate you. but if you can deal with a high stress environment apply. dont get me wrong i love my job but im just so sick and tired of salesfloor people thinking pharmacy is easy because they did back up cashiering a couple of times, thats just a taste of what we do. The technicians actually run the show and the pharmacist are just there to make sure we accurately transcribe the order from the doctor and to counsel patient and make sure no drug interactions happen. oh and just like any other workcenter in target corporate just cares that your scores are good, not so much of how you make it happen, oh thats frustrating too.just my 2 cents...

this.

Last edited:

this is so true! I am trained as a backup pharm tech - it's a very challenging job, totally different than any other area in the store.

Ditto. I'm back-up trained & the times I jump in gives me new respect for the pharm team each & every time

I like a challenge and I perform perfectly fine under pressure/stress. My situation is changing so this topic may not be relevant to me anymore.

I’ve recently started cross training in pharmacy. I was initially told I would be just “helping out” due to someone going on LOA, but the other day the Pharm ETL mentioned she needed to get me registered with the state so now I’m confused. I’m going to talk to her to get clarification on their specific plans for me but I’m wondering if that is typical. Does anyone who routinely works in pharmacy, even if they are not officially hired as a tech get registered or licensed? And can anyone give me details on how Target’s tech training works. Is it all just on the floor in the pharmacy or is there more to it—like book work or testing?

I tried doing it and there is alot more to it than it seems. Helping out doing the register just requires knowing the HIPA laws and making sure you get verification from the guest before you release a script( name, address, phone #, Date of Birth). Actually working in the pharmacy requires you to be certified according to your state rules. You will need to go to school and pass a somewhat difficult certification exam. Target does have somewhat of a training program but its just a small piece. Unless you are truly interested in changing careers proceed slowly. Also pharmacy is somewhat seasonal and pending on your script volume its hard to get hours if your not certified already, you will be training and doing school with decreasing hours from Target to do it.

Tech certification does not require schooling though it gives you more of an edge in wage negotiations in certain businesses. Depending on your state you may be required to be certified, though at least licensed. As far as official training, I believe it's officially one month since PDX is such a nightmare to master to a proficient level. The biggest thing is learning about all the insurances, how to avoid improper billing, and also the weird exception situations that pop up. *9999? Work comp??*. You have to be hipa certified officially, but that only takes an hour or two. Talk with your pharmacist and HR to find out the guidelines on what Target and the state require.

A lot of states now require anyone working in the pharmacy to be registered with their state. It doesn't necessarily mean your a technician it just means your authorized to be working behind the counter. It usual entails a background check to make sure your not a criminal and fit to work in the pharmacy. In my state I have to renew that registration every 2 years. The fact that your ETL-RX wants your to be registered means they want you to be more than a back up cashier. They want you to be filling prescriptions and entering them in the computer. Target will give you training on the job so you do not have to go to school. Generally you have 6 months after you start training till you are required to register with the state and to take the Target Pharmacy Technician Exam. If you really like being a technician I suggest you try to get nationally certified as well through the PTCB (pharmacy technician certification board) because target will pay for it if you work for them. I say this because you said your filling in for someone so your position may not be permanent so if you can get the national certification if you ever switch jobs it would make it alot easier for you to be hired. You would be registered with your state and have experience something all employers are looking for now.

Even if some pharm tech positions happen to have a higher pg than some tl positions, doesn't necessarily mean they get paid more, though a certified pharmacy tech requires more education than some TL positions. Team Leaders get full time benefits after just 3 months time in position, whereas pharm tech has a 6 full month waitiing period, and don't forget, they only get 2 paid holidays and that's only if they are full time, whereas TL's get 6 paid holidays even if they are just part time. Pharm Techs also aren't eligible for Tuition Reiumbursement. In fact, there are lots of differences between the positions, and most of positive ones go to the TL positions.
So techs in my store are PG13, and what with new TL's starting at PG11, I figure why not apply for a tech position? There's a little less accountability from a standpoint of managing store processes and talent - which I'm ambivalent about, but for someone who wants to resume classes at school again in the near future, this might actually be healthier for me (not so much "taking my work home with me")

So, A: What kind of promotional opportunities are there by being a Pharmacy Tech? If my STL passes along her thoughts of how Hi-Po I am, would that do anything to help me there?

B: How do I actually apply? I don't recall seeing the job in JAS within eHR or anything...did I miss it somewhere?

C: Should I tough it out and stick with my roadmap to promote to TL? I just realized that if I do promote to a dayside TL, that dollar raise I'd receive would be negated by the loss of my shift differential lol...

If you are going to go for any position, I'd go for Pharmacy TL if your store has one, that way you'll get all the same benefits you current get as a TL.
Even if some pharm tech positions happen to have a higher pg than some tl positions, doesn't necessarily mean they get paid more, though a certified pharmacy tech requires more education than some TL positions. Team Leaders get full time benefits after just 3 months time in position, whereas pharm tech has a 6 full month waitiing period, and don't forget, they only get 2 paid holidays and that's only if they are full time, whereas TL's get 6 paid holidays even if they are just part time. Pharm Techs also aren't eligible for Tuition Reiumbursement. In fact, there are lots of differences between the positions, and most of positive ones go to the TL positions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back