Archived applying for UI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought you quit? Isn't unemployment for those who are laid off or fired without cause?

Unless you live in quite the worker friendly state, I'm afraid that if you quit, you're SOL on unemployment. They will fight it, and they will win.

Unless you live in quite the worker friendly state, I'm afraid that if you quit, you're SOL on unemployment. They will fight it, and they will win.
Hostile work environment is the hail Mary of the unemployment suit. Probably harder to prove than when my mom fight and won against Wal-Mart... but still a thing.

This is true, we got a claim from a former TM who quit and my ETL HR made sure she wrote a scathing review of why she didn't deserve unemployment.

If you have lots of warnings ie coachings your chances of having benefits denied is higher

OP mentioned in another thread that this is in Cali.

From the California EDD site:

I just quit my job. Will I be eligible?

When an individual files a claim for UI benefits, the Department documents the reason the individual is no longer working, and includes it in the Notice of Claim Filed (DE 1101CZ), which is mailed to the last employer. The employer may also provide written information about the reason the individual is no longer working when responding to this notice.

If the individual quit, the EDD will conduct a telephone interview with the individual and the employer approximately two weeks after the claim is filed to determine whether or not the individual is eligible for UI benefits, according to state law and regulations.

State law provides that an individual who quits his/her job may be eligible for UI benefits provided there was “good cause” for leaving employment, and the individual made all reasonable attempts to keep their job (e.g., request of leave of absence or transfer). Once all reasonable alternatives to leaving have been attempted, good cause may include situations such as leaving work due to unsafe working conditions, leaving work based on a medical doctor’s advice, or leaving work to protect oneself or one’s child from domestic violence.

The EDD staff will determine on a case-by-case basis, whether the facts presented for the quit are “good cause” according to state law. The individual must also meet all other eligibility requirements before UI benefits can be paid.

The Department’s law and policy guidelines regarding Voluntary Quits are available on the EDD website.

---------------

I imagine the real reason California is likely to be worker friendly is because they collect unemployment insurance out of every single one of your paychecks. The more you make, the more they take. When they pay you UI they are actually paying you back your own money until the money you put in runs out... then they may or may not extend you beyond that depending on your circumstances. They also require you to fill out a slip each and every week of the places you have applied for work in order to get your next check. Do other states do this as well?

I was on unemployment for 2 yrs from my bank job when they laid me off Obama kept extending it. I also collected severance at the same time for 1 1/2 years due to the clause the company had for laying us off. It was a win win for me. The last 6 months or so had to report 3 jobs you applied for each week.

They also require you to fill out a slip each and every week of the places you have applied for work in order to get your next check. Do other states do this as well?
They do in Texas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back