Archived APTL - Helpful Tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wizard89

ETL-AP
Hey,

I just got hired as a APTL and was looking for any helpful tips. The last interview I had was with a DTL-AP (I believe) and she pretty much told me that the last guy was a screw up. Apparently the store (P-Fresh) has had a large amount of issues both externally and internally with theft. However, I am alone. I guess do to some downsizing a few months ago, they got rid of the TPS Officer and the only other AP Officer.

Do to this clearly hanging weight of "turning the store around" I was looking for any helpful tips. Questions like:

- What items are targeted the most?
- Its in a rich suburb area of a major city, should I be looking for rich teens or does anyone else have issues with city members moving in?
- Dressing rooms? Are people taking as much as I think they could be?
- How much do you think I can rely on staff since I don't have any in my team?
- I come from a VERY hands on job, has anyone gotten physical with their "collars" and if so, how far did you take it?

- Any other advice would be great. I have done LP for 6 years but want to make sure I start off on the right foot.

Thanks!

This should help you.
Depending on your store scheduling and structure, an APTL/ETL-AP or another AP member may perform these duties.

Morning Duties-

First, after you’re clocked in and been in 209, you should go ahead and check critical equipment. Target defines the following as critical –

Cameras-

All exterior cameras for parking lot surveillance, receiving, etc.
Cash Office
Front/Check Lane PTZ
Guest Service Desk
AP Room/209

To test these, just use the controller and make sure PTZ will zoom and tilt. For the static cameras, just make sure there giving a picture.

Public View Monitors-

Guest Service
Team Member Entrance
Fitting Room(s)
Store Entrance(s)
While your store may have other monitors, there not defined as critical equipment.

As far as testing them goes, just make sure there powered on and displaying their camera view.

If any of this is not working, you should alert your APTL/ETL-AP, who should alert the District Asset Protection Team Leader. (Yes, that is a mouth full)
In some districts, your DAPTL will be APBP.

Once that is completed, you should now grab the PITL log. This will vary by location, but the same task should be completed. You will sweep through the listed aisles and look for empty packaging and hand count the listed items.
^This process is also repeated just before store closing.

That basically summarizes the morning duties. If you’re at an Analog Store, you will have additional responsibilities of changing the tapes.

The best place to find answers in AP is the directives book that should be in your AP Office. If not, you can find additional copies of it, on workbench, under AP Zone.

If you ever lose Line of sight of a thief you cannot apprehend them. Invest in a small bluetooth headset and keep the NIC on speed dial so you can partner with them when trying to apprehend someone.

1) Every store is different. Look at your top 10 list for shortage and go from there. Partner with other stores in your area for assistance on what to look for. Generally, cosmetics, softlines, electronics will be in your top 10 no matter what store you work at.

2) Don't assume anything. Just because it's in a rich area doesn't mean a thing. Look at your reports from your group and district to see who is hitting what. Demographics differ. White, middle/upper class women at my store steal hair care like Fekkai and It's a 10 all the time. Or at least try to.

3) Dressing rooms - yes. That much and more. It depends on the AP culture with your operators. If they are strict on the 6 item limit, if they religiously check the clothing that goes in, you'll greatly reduce shortage. Pockets, folded shirts, folded pants, clothing folded over the arm as they try to walk by and just say how many they have, you name it, can and will get past with items hidden inside.

4) If you don't have an actual team, it again depends on your store. Maybe you have to motivate them. The operator would be a great place to start. Go to daily huddles and share AP messages. If there's no AP culture currently, you have to build it. It might take time.

5) I'm not AP, I'm just a TPS (hopefully senior sometime this year!). But at my store things rarely escalate. We don't let them. That is partially because we have a team and we always try to have two people for an apprehension just in case. Your safety is absolutely more important that whatever stupid merchandise they're trying to steal. I'm sure you know but if they have any sort of weapon, disengage. Doesn't matter if they have 10 TVs (in this case just call the cops). If a situation escalates and is too much, disengage. I can't fathom a scenario where you'd get coached for letting merchandise walk out because your safety was in danger in any way. It's better to let them walk than get hurt or get an NVI.

Focus on AP related stuff. I know this seems obvious, but it's only you. Lately stores have been trying to get the AP teams to help out with non AP related stuff, and that's fine. But don't feel obligated to carry out those tasks, you have things that need to be taken care of and make sure that comes first.

You will have your hands full. Working by yourself makes things 100 times harder. Second guessing yourself leads to a NPI. Focus on your PMRs to start. Also during stops you will have no one go "team" with, Pepare for a fight. The ap team lead at my store was stabbed just last week, he is on leave right now.

I was a TPS> Sr. TPS> APS> Sr. APS> (currently) Sr. Team Leader; to answer your questions:

- What items are targeted the most?
Depends on your store/market trends. First thing is to develop a strong AP culture with all team members. Tell them to report empty packages and call out suspicious guests. Generally, cosmetics is the number one theft department in stores. 2nd, Portable electronics. Check your AP performance report.

- Its in a rich suburb area of a major city, should I be looking for rich teens or does anyone else have issues with city members moving in?
Look for behaviors of people or team members calling out suspicious guests. So AP Directives tells us not to assume or be prejudice against our guests. Build skills revolving peoples actions or behaviors. Is a guest spending too much time staring at phones? It's 110 degrees outside and a guest comes in with a jacket, hat, and sun-glasses on (hmm)? Why is the guest walking fast looking back and forth? Take these examples to look for.

- Dressing rooms? Are people taking as much as I think they could be?
Yes, however, thats why you build a strong partnerships with the operator. Partner with her/him everyday and tell her to be checking all pairs of clothes and to report any suspicious behavior.

- How much do you think I can rely on staff since I don't have any in my team?
A lot! Since you don't have a TPS/APS team you 'must' reply with the rest of the team members, especially the team leaders. You're only going to be in your store for 40 hours, there is so much potential theft. Just be aware and if you need any help partner with your APBP.

- I come from a VERY hands on job, has anyone gotten physical with their "collars" and if so, how far did you take it?
Well as far as physical, you will be regularly installing and moving cameras, but you are expected to get stats or apprehensions. Thats how you will drive your business by having apprehensions. PMRS & KTRS are good but from your position STATS are what the APBP/DTL/DAPTL will be looking for.

Just be fast, fun, and friendly. Partner daily with your team leaders and ETL's. Make sure to know your business, want to make it at Target, KNOW YOUR BUSINESS. And most importantly drive your business consistently. Good luck.

NVI is non violent intervention
PMR - productive merchandise recovery
KTR is known theft report
The other guy's site is looking for an update on ap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back