Archived Are all stores hiring fewer seasonal hires for Q4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our ETL-HR explained to us that this year we're hiring fewer people for Q4 and that the store will instead be focusing on developing the TMs already in (cross-training, more hours, etc.). Is this going to be the case throughout the company this year? Our store just had a massive hiring spree in the last month or so.

Methinks the disappointment of Target Canada resulted in a lack of additional payroll for this coming Q4 if this is the case throughout Spot.

My store has some hiring to do. This month alone we had 1 AP guy quit, 2 from softlines, 1 from produce, 1 from electronics, a cart attendant, 1 from guest service and a cashier. They're all moving on in life

Yeah cross training has been a big thing this month. I've trained two TM's in electronics already. One from Hardlines, and another from cashier. Problem is, they spring them on me when I least expect it, and then think one day is enough to go over everything. *sigh*

Our store is focusing more on cross-training as well. I think it has equal parts to do with our Pfresh almost being completed and more opportunities to cross-train, and 4th quarter as well. I'm actually not sure how we're going to handle hiring for fourth quarter. We've already brought on so many people to help with the remodel. I wish there was a way to keep or "re-hire" them as seasonal again since they already know what they're doing!

Last edited:
Used to be holiday hires were a good way to deepen the available shift pool & scope out new blood.
Those who proved themselves & wanted to stay on made it easier to get rid of deadwood (erratic attendance, lazy, poor skills despite lots of training, trouble-makers, etc).
We also have a few with "a toe in the door" - getting only a few hrs/week - who can expand their avail during Q4.

We were told were hiring same as previous years, basically an entire flow team so we essentially have 2 flow teams. The only thing I know for sure is company directive was to push out the start of seasonal hiring till almost end of OCT I think. Which is fine with me last year I hired 8 more people for early morning backroom and got no more hours so scheduling was difficult.

weird, there was something on workbench not too long ago saying that actual seasonal hires would not start until november this year. shifting the planning to getting people in the store right as they needed to be there (you know, rather than have them trained by that time.)

weird, there was something on workbench not too long ago saying that actual seasonal hires would not start until november this year. shifting the planning to getting people in the store right as they needed to be there (you know, rather than have them trained by that time.)

Nothing like trying to train a mob of new people at the busiest time of year.

Well, Target was mentioned on the news tonight. It said that they would be hiring fewer seasonal this year.

Hiring is more expensive than cross-training. We weren't really given the impression payroll would be tight, but they for sure don't want to hire more than they absolutely have to. That's a Target thing, not a store thing this quarter.

You're right, they're are trying to save where they can. Some has to do with Canada not going as planned, but it all has to do with past trends. They may have realized that most stores have enough TMs in stores all they need to do is cross-train. And like someone mentioned before its cheaper to cross-train then hire. What they tend to do in my store is hire 20+ cashiers, train them in one or two four hour shifts, give them the week off then bring them all back for Black Friday... no sense whatsoever and I fought that in my TL meeting, thank god that will change this year. But last year I realize regular TMs with 25 hours when they can easily be at 40 had they wanted or asked to be cross-train.

Find people who want to learn new things first, it'll be easier to teach them something new.

I pretty sure we just said the same thing in two different ways. Yes, the economy sucks, badly.

No one said its solely "because the company all of a sudden realized they can just cross-train existing team members?"

The reason for cross-training is to minimize the hours "wasted" to hire, train, then term or what have you, because the economy sucks.

My team leader told me that Target as a whole wants to focus on getting us more internal hours before we hire on new people. Anyways, we could use it.

My etl-hr went around a few days ago about some contest form (sent from corporate) and when he explained it, he actually said they were aiming to hire less seasonal people and instead give current TMs the opportunity for more hours. There's like 3 or 4 sets of days (3 days in each set, I believe) that are the biggest sales days of the year. Thanksgiving, Black Friday and Christmas Eve are a few memorable dates. If we open up our availability specifically for those days we're entered to win one of 3 or 4 gift cards.

I opened up one day haha... and only because I was just one hour away from it being open anyway. Most days, I'm available from 8am to 10pm, and 8am-11pm on a couple days. My store closes at 11 everyday except Sunday, when it closes at ten. So there's plenty of room for them to give me more hours without me opening it up. Only reason it isn't open is I thought it was cruel the few times I had to close 4 nights in a row.

"We're hiring less, but you get more hours!"

What a spin. So many have forgotten the days team members actually got decent hours year-round (except February) that now we're gracious for our crumbs.

It is a great spin. When the store is in chaos and everything is crashing down they can say hey do not complain we did not hire people for you!!!!

This is had been made a RED media category meaning no store can speak to local media regarding 4th quarter staffing. If that doesnt answer your question...

This is had been made a RED media category meaning no store can speak to local media regarding 4th quarter staffing. If that doesnt answer your question...

Information about Target's Q4 hiring (as a company) has already been in the local newspapers here.

My etl-hr went around a few days ago about some contest form (sent from corporate) and when he explained it, he actually said they were aiming to hire less seasonal people and instead give current TMs the opportunity for more hours. There's like 3 or 4 sets of days (3 days in each set, I believe) that are the biggest sales days of the year. Thanksgiving, Black Friday and Christmas Eve are a few memorable dates. If we open up our availability specifically for those days we're entered to win one of 3 or 4 gift cards.

I opened up one day haha... and only because I was just one hour away from it being open anyway. Most days, I'm available from 8am to 10pm, and 8am-11pm on a couple days. My store closes at 11 everyday except Sunday, when it closes at ten. So there's plenty of room for them to give me more hours without me opening it up. Only reason it isn't open is I thought it was cruel the few times I had to close 4 nights in a row.

Our etl-hr came in during my orientation to tell all of the new hires the same thing.

I think my store missed the "Hire less and give more internal hours" memo... We are hiring 12 cashiers, 12 salesfloor(6 hardlines, 4 softlines, 2 market), 1 backroom, 2 starbucks, and a few more for other parts of the store. There goes all the team members hours....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back