Archived Are all stores hiring fewer seasonal hires for Q4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were called in to our ETL-Hr's office on Sunday and told that we were hiring less seasonal because she wanted to be able to give more hours to the tm who were already there. Then she had us check on a list she had of all of us if we would be willing to work overtime and split shifts (the latter was mostly for Thanksgiving). We were under no obligation for either. There was another tm in when I was there and she and both said yes to ot and no to split shifts. She talked about some contest and about expanding our availability. It was a really interesting session. I was in a bit of a shock with the mention of ot (and Target :\) though>

Last edited:
Actually we're hiring in my store. We're severely understaffed so they're aiming to hire 80 TMs.

I'll be happy if I could get someone to help me in Backroom dayside for the 4th quarter

i understand why they are doing this but my fear is it could backfire big-time. For example they will schedule everyone on a busy weekend and then when you get the call offs (and there will be call offs) who will you call in to replace them? The available pool may just be too small. Also the burnout factor looms large. Sure everyone says they want overtime and those of us who have done it before know how tiring it can and will be. The folks who have never done it might get real tired of it really quick. i like bringing on new people. the new people breath new life into some of the team members who have been around for awhile and do just enough to slide by. We have had some great luck with seasonal hires turning into regular team members in the past.

We've always used seasonal hires to bring fresh blood & ferret out the deadfall (the ones who call out EVERY WEEKEND, the more-than-sporadic NCNSs, the lazy/rude/disinterested, etc).

i understand why they are doing this but my fear is it could backfire big-time. For example they will schedule everyone on a busy weekend and then when you get the call offs (and there will be call offs) who will you call in to replace them? The available pool may just be too small. Also the burnout factor looms large. Sure everyone says they want overtime and those of us who have done it before know how tiring it can and will be. The folks who have never done it might get real tired of it really quick. i like bringing on new people. the new people breath new life into some of the team members who have been around for awhile and do just enough to slide by. We have had some great luck with seasonal hires turning into regular team members in the past.

My store's definitely still hiring. I think they're hiring less than they did last year, though. They needed to hire anyway. Multiple people have left and we're understaffed. They'll probably keep the good softlines people. I agree with the burnout thing, though. I just did 9 days in a row and even though they weren't all 8hr shifts, I was so done with Target. I was so happy to see a week where I was only scheduled 4 days in the week. Not gonna be a great paycheck, but after even 5 days at target, I can't take it anymore.

My store's definitely still hiring. I think they're hiring less than they did last year, though. They needed to hire anyway. Multiple people have left and we're understaffed. They'll probably keep the good softlines people. I agree with the burnout thing, though. I just did 9 days in a row and even though they weren't all 8hr shifts, I was so done with Target. I was so happy to see a week where I was only scheduled 4 days in the week. Not gonna be a great paycheck, but after even 5 days at target, I can't take it anymore.

I'm 2 days in to an 8 day stretch and they are all (except 1) closing shifts. By next Wednesday I'll be a basketcase. But I had asked for next Thursday off and they gave me the Friday, too. I guess that thought it would be ok.

I think its a good thing they're hiring less and giving more hours to veterans, but so far the newbies this time around totally suck and are completely useless... at least in my store.

I think its a good thing they're hiring less and giving more hours to veterans, but so far the newbies this time around totally suck and are completely useless... at least in my store.

Of all the ones they have hired for the front end lately, about 75% of them were gone after about two weeks for various reasons, (stealing, showing up late if at all, bad attitude, NCNS over and over. What is wrong with these kids?!

Of all the ones they have hired for the front end lately, about 75% of them were gone after about two weeks for various reasons, (stealing, showing up late if at all, bad attitude, NCNS over and over. What is wrong with these kids?!

Because they have to work to get a paycheck. I had a new tm who could not clean up a dry food spill.

We've already had one in our backroom come and go, within a week.....

Got the same talk at my store about OT being available this season. Fine by me, although something tells me it could be a killer. I'm going to go for it. However, being in Plano, as you all know as soon as the Holiday season ends it's just go-go-go for the next several months, with little or no time off.

And, our store is probably going to re-model come the spring.

Come next June, I'll either be ready for a vacation or a check into a Mental Hospital.

Got the same talk at my store about OT being available this season. Fine by me, although something tells me it could be a killer. I'm going to go for it. However, being in Plano, as you all know as soon as the Holiday season ends it's just go-go-go for the next several months, with little or no time off.

And, our store is probably going to re-model come the spring.

Come next June, I'll either be ready for a vacation or a check into a Mental Hospital.

Being on the march cycle of remodels is killer. There are all kinds of hours, but there are so many things to do! I swear that has to be the worst cycle. You've just come out of Xmas and then you go right into an intense 13 weeks. Almost every pog in the store resets or revises on top of having remodel pogs. It's just a mess for quite a while. If you can get on the remodel team, you should do it. It's a frustrating, but good experience. Just don't try to do it and go to school full time.

At our store we were told that they would be hiring less people in The fourth quarter and that the existing team members would be given more hours along with possible overtime for those who are willing to work it. With the holiday season coming at a break between my school semester i would love it if we were able to work over time cause only working a few days a week with school i dont pull that much money in.

Our front end staff come and go like there's a revolving door. The cashiers never last. There are a few that have been there forever, but many have started cross-training and the rest are people with day jobs .

My store hired four people of the sales floor and one that I know of in the backroom. One of the people they hired for Hardlines already quit. I don't know about cashiers, I've only seen one or two new faces.

Our store is trying to hire too many in a short period of time. Its like pulling teeth getting etls and tl to do the interviews. Frustrating.

Our store is trying to hire too many in a short period of time. Its like pulling teeth getting etls and tl to do the interviews. Frustrating.

Same. We just had a whole bunch of newbies hired in the past few weeks. A little late to be fully trained for holidays in my opinion, but oh well.

We have finally gotten a couple of our people for the backroom....one has already quit.....and since we had another full timer quit, we are still at status quo, which is not enough. When the full timer quit, I raised the point that they needed to replace him on the schedule, especially the days he was one of only 3 scheduled....and was rewarded with "Who else is there?"....

We have finally gotten a couple of our people for the backroom....one has already quit.....and since we had another full timer quit, we are still at status quo, which is not enough. When the full timer quit, I raised the point that they needed to replace him on the schedule, especially the days he was one of only 3 scheduled....and was rewarded with "Who else is there?"....

That sucks. Our backroom team is pretty slim pickins. I have wide open availability so I've been working 6:00AM shits, 8:00AM shifts and somehow ended up with closing shifts this week and next. Our second to last hire was so slow they sent her to another area.

The latest is a tiny little thing (female). She seems very enthusiastic so I hope she can hang but I have my doubts. She was just hired and is already on vacation for a week, pretty sweet for her. I'd say we need at least two more people back there cause the ones that have been around a while aren't too swift.

I have seen so many new people in the last few days it's kind of crazy. Hopefully some of them are better than the ones we already have. I had someone help me with a spill the other day who has been here for almost 90 days & they didn't know where to get a broom & dustpan :dash2:

weird, there was something on workbench not too long ago saying that actual seasonal hires would not start until november this year. shifting the planning to getting people in the store right as they needed to be there (you know, rather than have them trained by that time.)

Nothing like trying to train a mob of new people at the busiest time of year.
That's what is happening at my store. It's the worst!

How has hiring gone in your stores out there, BR members?

The problem I've seen at my store is the people we have don't want more hours/haven't or won't open up their availability (because they actually do maintain a life outside of work! Imagine that!). So we can't fill the hours we're given (and the trucks take longer to push, the floor doesn't have enough coverage, POG is having trouble wrapping up the workload, backup cashier calls all day long, etc.) anyone else seeing this too?

Ha ha... this past Friday, HR tried to get the GSA to train five new TMs for cashier for the next morning. How the heck is the GSA supposed to train five TMs AND run the front lanes by their lonesome. The GSA laughed and said there was no way. Turns out it was so busy that one of the trainees was given four extra hours to cashier right after the training shift. It was that busy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back