Archived Are stores allowed to limit how much of a certain item a guest can buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrangeFire

That's what I tried to tell you.
I was cashiering this morning, and the LOD told one of the cashiers that she was not allowed to sell more than 2 Shopkins toys to any single guest. Are they actually allowed to do that? I don't believe they were on sale or anything.

yes, Leadership has the right to restrict the number of each item bought to a reasonable amount especially on items that are of limited quantity. Also if the person is Known to buy things in bulk to resell then the LOD can cancel the whole transaction and ask them to leave

They can, but most leaders fear a bad survey or call to corporate so will they will let it all go through.

Last summer when Pepsi was so cheap, a competitor was literally buying it by the pallet load. Finally our vendor had to step in and tell them we needed to start limiting the guests and stop selling it all to our competition.

I've never been told to do this with Shopkins, but they can totally do so. In my store, I mostly see limitations on Baby formula, and HBA items. We usually limit guests to 4-8 pieces. Varies by the situation, and if they're using coupons or not.

We also limit them on gift cards. Itunes gift cards were on sale last week, and people were attempting to buy 10, $100 itunes cards. Obvious reselling. We limit them to 4.

What they all said above... LOL

My store limits the most popular items for that week, certain collectibles, HBA and sodas. I have seen people with three carts full of 2 liters bottles trying to buy them all. It happens everytime soda goes on sale.

Alright, thanks for the information!

My store has a sign posting stating that "To ensure all Target guests have an opportunity, Target reserves the right to limit purchases of high-demand items".
They also limit like coupons to four per DAY/visit.

It wouldn't do much good to limit purchases of Shopkins at my store because we don't have the damn things in stock to begin with.

The last time I heard about any item being limited at my store was when Amiibos came out.

It wouldn't do much good to limit purchases of Shopkins at my store because we don't have the damn things in stock to begin with.

The last time I heard about any item being limited at my store was when Amiibos came out.

Yeah, we have a group of Asian men who bring their families to purchase all the new amiibo.

Yeah, we have a group of Asian men who bring their families to purchase all the new amiibo.

aVX7APO_460s.jpg

Hmm.....this seems less funny now that I've change my profile picture...

My store typically uses two numbers when it comes to this.. First and foremost, no guest is allowed to deplete more than 25% of our OHs of something. A couponer wants to blow us out on Dove 2 packs? Gotta save some for other guests. Secondly, guests can purchase enough for 2 promos of a particular item. If Pepsi is 4/$12 then they can get 8. It's pretty easy for quantities to be overlooked unless a guest is wiping you out so these guidelines are really just used as quotables if someone wants to take advantage of you.

Normally most ads will have a disclaimer in them for many items. In other cases a sign can be put up. And it has to be enforced by everybody across the board in the your store or else you open the store up for discrimination lawsuits and/or some bad public relations.

the store has every right to limit how much a guest can buy of one item. resellers can not use us as their supplier and leave none for legit other guests! one man at our store owns a deli with his wife and so when soda goes on sale he stocks up but he does not do it every sale, he also leaves plenty for other guests.

the store has every right to limit how much a guest can buy of one item. resellers can not use us as their supplier and leave none for legit other guests! one man at our store owns a deli with his wife and so when soda goes on sale he stocks up but he does not do it every sale, he also leaves plenty for other guests.

We have guests like this too. All soda purchases are limited to 12. No matter if it's 12 packs or 2L bottles. So they come in everyday.

We limit to 4 of any item and 12 sodas.

Do you really enforce that? I can see guests buying more than 4 for household use of...

Storage boxes
Pens/penicls
Notebooks
Yogurts
Cans of cat food
Mac N Cheese
Party favors/supplies....

the list goes on.

We now limit each household to six units of baby formula because here in SoCal (and worldwide) Chinese people come and buy baby formula in mass quantities to resell in China for a profit.

Most of the time they will comply but sometimes I catch some guys try to be sneaky come back in the store a second time and go to a different cashier to buy more baby formula.

Unless there is a line out the door before the store opens for a product that will sell out at the initial rush I will never understand limiting product. Why limit sales because some future guest might be left in the cold? That is a failure on either the supplier or Target for not ordering enough to cover demand. For every item that is a huge hit and not enough demand there are probably 100 items that we shit the bed on and lose money. I personally don't hold it on any retailer for items being out of stock because people bought it.

Do you really enforce that? I can see guests buying more than 4 for household use of...

Storage boxes
Pens/penicls
Notebooks
Yogurts
Cans of cat food
Mac N Cheese
Party favors/supplies....

the list goes on.

We just started last week on non-soda items. Soda has been limit 12 for more than a year. It's primarily for transactions involving multiple coupons to ensure there is adequate supplies for ALL guests and seems ti be in response to the change in corporate policy. Should be interesting to see how it's implemented. We've got the mac & cheese deal where you need to buy 10 to get the $5 g/c.

Sorry, can't really answer your question, I just following orders!

Unless there is a line out the door before the store opens for a product that will sell out at the initial rush I will never understand limiting product. Why limit sales because some future guest might be left in the cold? That is a failure on either the supplier or Target for not ordering enough to cover demand. For every item that is a huge hit and not enough demand there are probably 100 items that we shit the bed on and lose money. I personally don't hold it on any retailer for items being out of stock because people bought it.
The problem we have is when the extreme couponers clean us out of a particular item (high dollar coupon on items that come with free giftcards) only to return them later.
When it's a consumable item (whitening strips, foodstuffs , HBA items) those go red upon return so we can't even get them back to stock for other folks to buy.
This leaves us out of stock & loss of profit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back