Archived Are we sitting ducks in a terror attack?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My state is debating campus carry right now.
All the private campuses have opted out - no carry.
Public schools aren't so lucky.
Because they can't work out a practical way for students to stow their weapons outside of class while still allowing them to carry them across campus, the consensus will likely be allowing them in class.
Not surprisingly, very few are comforted by the thought of attending class with 'good guys with guns'.
Why? Because they are so insistent on showing their gun & what a tough guy they are.
Because there's no way to determine who's a 'good guy' vs an asshat with a attitude, I'd rather not be around anyone carrying a gun who isn't wearing a uniform or carrying a badge because the latter has gone thru far more training than Joe Shmoe who did the minimum to get his CCL.

I agree with you in some regard, while I do not think just anyone should be able to carry or have access to a gun, I do not believe that this should bar everyone from having the option. At least in my state, when you apply for a permit to carry, which also happens to be a permit to purchase, you are subjected to the same level of background checks that police officers go through, and sometimes more. Unfortunately like in most cases, there will always be a minority who doesn't understand the responsibility of carrying a firearm, and potentially ruin it for the rest of us.

I am not sure how and when a balance will be met to differentiate the good guys from the dumbasses, but I certainly do hope it happens for everyone's sake.

I agree with you in some regard, while I do not think just anyone should be able to carry or have access to a gun, I do not believe that this should bar everyone from having the option. At least in my state, when you apply for a permit to carry, which also happens to be a permit to purchase, you are subjected to the same level of background checks that police officers go through, and sometimes more. Unfortunately like in most cases, there will always be a minority who doesn't understand the responsibility of carrying a firearm, and potentially ruin it for the rest of us.

I am not sure how and when a balance will be met to differentiate the good guys from the dumbasses, but I certainly do hope it happens for everyone's sake.
I would like to see gun ownership as a 'privilege' vs a 'right' much like a driver's license:
Undergo training to earn that license prior to being allowed to take that gun home.
Said license would be subject to renewal every 10 years with a demonstration of competency required for expired licenses.
Such licenses must be presented to law enforcement upon request if you are carrying in public.
If your weapon is involved in the commission of a crime resulting in injury, death or damage to property because of your negligence you would lose your license AND your weapon.
If your weapon was stolen & you failed to report it stolen before it was used in a crime, the same would apply.
A felony conviction would disqualify you from owning a weapon/being granted a license.
There must be a record of all sales & purchases of weapons.
Selling to an unauthorized person will result in the loss of your license & weapon(s).
Seem harsh? These are similar to driving license laws.
At the very least, gun ownership should be treated as seriously because it IS a matter of life or death.
Perhaps then more people would accept open-carry.

I would like to see gun ownership as a 'privilege' vs a 'right' much like a driver's license:
Undergo training to earn that license prior to being allowed to take that gun home.
Said license would be subject to renewal every 10 years with a demonstration of competency required for expired licenses.
Such licenses must be presented to law enforcement upon request if you are carrying in public.
If your weapon is involved in the commission of a crime resulting in injury, death or damage to property because of your negligence you would lose your license AND your weapon.
If your weapon was stolen & you failed to report it stolen before it was used in a crime, the same would apply.
A felony conviction would disqualify you from owning a weapon/being granted a license.
There must be a record of all sales & purchases of weapons.
Selling to an unauthorized person will result in the loss of your license & weapon(s).
Seem harsh? These are similar to driving license laws.
At the very least, gun ownership should be treated as seriously because it IS a matter of life or death.
Perhaps then more people would accept open-carry.

While it varies state-by-state, a lot of these laws are already on the books, and then some.

Guaranteed they won't do anything to stop mass shootings. All of the guns purchased in the California shooting were done so legally, as is the case in most of these types of events. You won't see national headline news when thugs and gang bangers with stolen guns use them to commit crimes. Ask yourself why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back