Archived are you asked to coach tms for aar/conversion from outside dpt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

consume

凸(-_-)凸
My store has insisted that since our aar and conversion rates are awful that we (TLS) have to pick the worst tms and do their TLS job of wiring a coaching up and expressing how awful of a job they're doing, and give them tips they'll never use from someone they rarely ever see (cashier wise that is, I have interaction with the electronics TM at least)

Now I'm a very nice, friendly person in the work environment, say hello to everyone TM/guest wise. So these tms I typically just politely greet, and ask how their days are going, are now having to be told that their numbers arent where they need to be and I'm going to "help them" pick up their scores.

The cashier situation is awful, because I have no where else to grill her except with a line full of guests at the registers, since the gstl won't let her get off the lane to go offstage.

Its been bugging the hell out of me, and pretty much I'm only doing this to get them to CCA, the gstl/elecTL picked ones that they should have already had a stack of paper work a mile high on.

All in the name of scores.

Anyone have any tips or similar situations?

So far I just shrug off being the grim reaper with a smile and tell myself that it's what they're paying me to do.

Wow that's a different approach...

We weren't doing well at all too but we didn't take that route.

Wow that's a different approach...

We weren't doing well at all too but we didn't take that route.
Yeah, it sucks, I don't mind doing what I'm asked but I hate the fact that I'm basically just telling tms your scores need to improve by next week, never seeing results (never expected to from the button of the barrel).. Then watching them get that look on their face like you might make when the Etl who bugs you walks in, whenever I walk past

Right.

We did a Jumpstart on all the training. Picked out all the trainers, top 5 of everywhere and all front end. All leaders came over and now if we are driving at the boat but front end doesn't hold up the small percentage they support, then it's tough but they are held for it.
I don't rely of the front end. I would rather them be the last resort for metric after my e&e team doesn't take care of them. I hated being a cheerleader in hs, I hate doing it now but it's working.

I can't see myself writing up other folks tm. People are territorial in my store. I HAVE offered to deliver them though.

Well hey, instead of fixing the lack of training/enforcement, just slap the time from another busy department to patch the effect, and not the cause

I would personally feel pretty shitty that other people are forced to handle tasks I was expected to do

Last edited:
I don't understand.
You are the TL in a completely different department but they want you to coach people for their performance?

What is the justification for that?
I thought the whole point of having a Team Lead, was that you were responsible for your Team good and bad.
Why would you even want someone else to get between you and your people?
Because you can't handle your job?
If that's what the ETLs think maybe they should get new TLs.
Harsh I know but it's no worse than having people from other team dole out punishment.

Who comes up with these management practices?
Supposedly the ETLs and STL have been trained, some even got degrees in business.
I never took a course but even I know it's a stupid idea.

Well, the jacka.. Executives sat down one day and decided their answer to "what do we do about a team who has a lack of training and can't perform?" is to ignore/bypass where the lack is coming from, apparently

First of all, if your truck team was struggling with staffing and training and working on new routines, would you not help with freight that is left over until they can establish the changes necessary to become successful? The Front End is no different, and even more importantly, they affect your AE Scoring and yearly review. You may have to jump in and help them muscle it just like you would a truck not getting done until they can get it completed.

Secondly, you do not need to coach on the metric. That is not going to work. Help sack at the end of your designated TMs line when you have time and stay there for a few transactions and just let them know all TLs are required to pitch in and help cashiers for a few weeks to help them out. Listen to what the cashier is saying, give them a chance to talk to the guest. If their scripts and performance is not the greatest, jump in and talk to the guest for them. Let them hear what a good script sounds like. Between a few guests sneak over and tell them that is the kind of script that works with getting REDcards and you want them to try what you just said and that this is an expectation that they are accountable for now. See if that works and if they start performing better and then go document that you worked with them. If they do not start improving immediately (as in the guests after you tell them what to say), then you can pull them offstage and have a more serious conversation. This process should only be a few minutes out of your day.

That was very well put, however a major issue with that is the whole checking their script and giving my advice on how to do it better.
I don't deal with the front end except for a backup when nesecary. My tips would probably not even meet the gsa version, because while albeit the front end is a concern of mine, as it should be everyone from c.a. to Etl, I can't go over all of the fun hours of learning gstl. (Never went through them, though I would imagine it's similar to smile, be polite, sound genuine and be informative. Ask for help when you need it and move with a sense of urgency. Follow the script.. - should wrap up most guest related issues anywhere)

I don't intend the gstl to walk steritech and be any more effective than my pa/tm, or even less intend them to be able to correct a pa for not properly handling the visit.. Or knowing terminology.. Or hell, what steritech even is..,

the 2 gstls and 2 gsas get rated on metic's, ones that are currently so awful, and so little is seen in the way of progress, that they (etls) are attempting to fix getting impaled by failure with a band-aid of "maybe if we just throw more TLS on the cc of a drismal scores email and ask them to CCA negative impactors of the overall scores, we don't have to replace the 2 TLS who share the same department, yet can't get results in the 80 hours (even more including 2 gsas, who should be held as accountable someone who is supposed to assist leaders perform tasks, like motoring scores and following up with weak performers) they're given to spend doing.. What their job is.. Leading cashiers "

And no, I don't know what it's like to pick up after the truck, 1 tl manages a team triple the size of cashiers and still manages to correct those who just aren't doing their job or damaging metic's he's responsible for, as he sees them.

... That's the point if leading a team, being responsible for them, their actions, and their scores.. I'm not against helping a fellow peer, but when all of the sf TLS are asked to mend the wounds on long unattended issue, it just makes less sense spending that time making up for a tl, than it does trying to correct the tl, if you tried that and it clearly didn't work, that tl isn't built for his leadership position and causes more backtrack then progress.

All I was directly asked to do is spend a day "correcting" their actions based on not meeting the goal by letting them know I'm watching their scores and will be seeking them every week to status on their updated reports.. I politely tell them I have faith in their ability to find the courage and will to get redcards, and that if they have any questions, they can get with me or their gstl... Who selected them specifically to have his whole procedure started to begin with

I just don't agree with it from any angle.

Last edited:
When we were having weekly conversations with every single person with over 100 transactions who weren't green for the week, our GSTL would divide it out, trying to match TLs with TMs they may have worked with at least a little. The entire point being the GSTL doesn't have time for conversations with half the store and it was to show the team that all the TLs were on board with driving conversion.

Oh plus I'm not just blasting gstls.. I have to get the electronics TMs also, that adds to the frustration, the gstls just have the most hours and least amount of space to control.. I kinda ranted there so I wanted to reclarify that I don't have it out for the gstls lol

This is a really weird situation. I'm not a TL, but I've been coached for Redcards before, and it'd be really weird for me if a TL from another area who I barely know talked to me about it.

That was very well put, however a major issue with that is the whole checking their script and giving my advice on how to do it better.
I don't deal with the front end except for a backup when nesecary. My tips would probably not even meet the gsa version, because while albeit the front end is a concern of mine, as it should be everyone from c.a. to Etl, I can't go over all of the fun hours of learning gstl. (Never went through them, though I would imagine it's similar to smile, be polite, sound genuine and be informative. Ask for help when you need it and move with a sense of urgency. Follow the script.. - should wrap up most guest related issues anywhere)

I don't intend the gstl to walk steritech and be any more effective than my pa/tm, or even less intend them to be able to correct a pa for not properly handling the visit.. Or knowing terminology.. Or hell, what steritech even is..,

Steritech is not really a good comparison. First, it is a surprise visit, so its not like they could help you with it because a GSTL cannot do it simply for lack of training. What we are talking about is work that is on YOUR time. Something like Freshness Fridays, that I would assume they attempt to help with if they have coverage for the lanes. You went through your cashier training I am assuming, so you should know about REDcards and Conversion. If you think you are not capable of helping them develop around this loyalty driver, you need to go find someone to teach you everything they know tomorrow. That is not alright. You should be trained on the REDcard just like the GSTL should on freshness, and you both should be supporting each program when it is necessary (which in your store it appears to be so).

the 2 gstls and 2 gsas get rated on metic's, ones that are currently so awful, and so little is seen in the way of progress, that they (etls) are attempting to fix getting impaled by failure with a band-aid of "maybe if we just throw more TLS on the cc of a drismal scores email and ask them to CCA negative impactors of the overall scores, we don't have to replace the 2 TLS who share the same department, yet can't get results in the 80 hours (even more including 2 gsas, who should be held as accountable someone who is supposed to assist leaders perform tasks, like motoring scores and following up with weak performers) they're given to spend doing.. What their job is.. Leading cashiers "

It is not THEIR job to be driving conversion. It is ALL of your job. That is the issue with your store I can already tell. All the other areas think its not their responsibility to drive conversion, so its not a store culture. Can REDcards only get done at the Front End by a cashier? Or can they get done on any register in the building by any team member? Doesn't online apps count as well, so if your team sends guests home with info from the floor your store could still get credit?

And no, I don't know what it's like to pick up after the truck, 1 tl manages a team triple the size of cashiers and still manages to correct those who just aren't doing their job or damaging metic's he's responsible for, as he sees them.

... That's the point if leading a team, being responsible for them, their actions, and their scores.. I'm not against helping a fellow peer, but when all of the sf TLS are asked to mend the wounds on long unattended issue, it just makes less sense spending that time making up for a tl, than it does trying to correct the tl, if you tried that and it clearly didn't work, that tl isn't built for his leadership position and causes more backtrack then progress.

All I was directly asked to do is spend a day "correcting" their actions based on not meeting the goal by letting them know I'm watching their scores and will be seeking them every week to status on their updated reports.. I politely tell them I have faith in their ability to find the courage and will to get redcards, and that if they have any questions, they can get with me or their gstl... Who selected them specifically to have his whole procedure started to begin with

I just don't agree with it from any angle.

But IF your truck was falling behind and not coming clean, and freight was left for entire areas, you should jump into them and help out. If they know they are having staffing issues, would you not come in early to help stock freight?

Again, good sir, well said... We could probably go back end forth on this subject for a while with little ground made on convincing each other.

Your knowledge and alternative opinion are both quite refreshing in what seemed like a dry place for someone who truly sounded like they not only lead, but have a strong confidence and firm standing on what you know/see to be best practice.

That's why I can agree that "everyone can get a redcard"

..I had to backtrack 2 long rants, I would have loved to read a retort,

however what I have gathered from your well put replies and the lack of anyone else having this complaint that he (the srgstl) and the other gstl have to be getting covered up by his buddy, the district hr who hired him

If your problem is a fence full of nails not all the way in, why grab for the screwdriver when the hammer is right there and makes more sense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back