Archived Asked Not To Come In Because There Are No Hours Available

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey All,

I was scheduled to work Sun, Mon, Tues, Wed, and Sat. ETL-HR informed many of the team members she needed to cut hours because we are not making sales for the month. Sent few team members home, and then she approached and asked me if I could do her a favor. Well, her favor was for me to take Tuesday and Wednesday off. She was so direct and I just agreed.

I've never held a job where employees were voluntarily sent home because there were no hours. Regardless, if it was part time or full time employment. As I was leaving, I saw her grab her usual venti latte with our STL from Starbucks, both were laughing.

It was so depressing, I felt poor and just limitted. Literally, sent home because there are no hours. Other team member from softlines were saying they were literally corned by ETL-HR and softline TL to go home early. They were saying how nice the weather was and they should just go home few hours early and enjoy the sunshine.

Really depressing!

That's happening at my store too.

Its really sad because once your hours are issued on the schedule I plan my bills. I'm applying crazy. I dont resume school until next year. I have to job search because Target is becoming very inconsistent.

Welcome! Spot is getting real crazy these days. Search for the tread under mytime. That will give a good idea on what is happening to other stores. Very sad event.

Welcome! Spot is getting real crazy these days. Search for the tread under mytime. That will give a good idea on what is happening to other stores. Very sad event.

If Target keeps up, it will become the next Sears and JCPenny. Both Sears and JCP were historically part of American culture and shopping experience, but since they started to downsize, their customer service went down hill as well. The turn over rate at my store has sky rocketed and guests are complaining about not being able to find a team member to assist. Sometimes, from evening to closing we have one hardlines team member, one in p fresh, one electronics, 2 in softlines, and two cashier while GSTL covers guest service. And then you heart that additional cashier request. The other day I was assigned to zone A/B and C/D while backing up in front lines. I had to skip both of my breaks.

Next time (if there is one, I sure hope not) go half with her.
Explain politely you were counting on the hours to pay your bills but because you want to support the store you will give her 1 day instead of 2.
Be firm and point out how much you have already lost.

Mytime gave my store more softlines hours than we have employees for. I'm sure that will change, but I thought it was weird.

Softlines will be the focus because it has the highest margins. We have been told to ask to cross train if we don't want to lose too many hours!

I got called the other day asking for me not to come in. I agreed but now I'm just waiting for them to call me asking why I'm not there or to fill a shift. I would not be surprised.

Next time (if there is one, I sure hope not) go half with her.
Explain politely you were counting on the hours to pay your bills but because you want to support the store you will give her 1 day instead of 2.
Be firm and point out how much you have already lost.

Exactly this! Remember your doing them a favor by losing hours, but in reality you were scheduled and are therefore required to let you work those hours. However on the flip side its also important to be flexible because you don't want them to slash your hours for not being flexible.

A couple of years ago my store did a lot of shady stuff to cut hours. They called/asked people not to come in or to come in/leave early. Then they started changing the schedule and not bothering to tell anyone or even change the posted schedule. Twice I got to work and couldn't clock in once for two & a half hours & once 3 hours. I tried arguing with them & even took the schedule to the LOD. When a couple of TMs got to work & their shift had been cut completely a few calls to IHL stopped the nonsense. After that I always make copies of the schedule and swap shift sheet.

A couple of years ago my store did a lot of shady stuff to cut hours. They called/asked people not to come in or to come in/leave early. Then they started changing the schedule and not bothering to tell anyone or even change the posted schedule. Twice I got to work and couldn't clock in once for two & a half hours & once 3 hours. I tried arguing with them & even took the schedule to the LOD. When a couple of TMs got to work & their shift had been cut completely a few calls to IHL stopped the nonsense. After that I always make copies of the schedule and swap shift sheet.

That sounds like a call to the Hotline if they keep it up.

our store was doing that for a while but it was dropped, most likely after the DTL heard about it

This happens in pharmacy all the time, in the course of 1 week, we can "earn" additional hours, then have to "cut" hours, based on script count. Some don't adjust the time, but some do.

When this happens at my store, I'm very upfront with them about it. If I need the hours, I need the hours. They always understand.

Our store usually tries cuts hours on a volunteer basis. If someone drops a shift, HR might just remove it from the schedule before someone else picks it up, or we get an announcement from the LOD on the walkie:
"Team, we have about two hours left for the night and need to cut some payroll. Are there any volunteers to head out early?"

There is always at least one or two people willing to head out. Shame this can never apply to the GSA/GSTL...

This is what my store is doing now. They are cutting the closing shifts short, we are basically running out the door as soon as the last guest leaves. They are also cutting shifts left and right. The team hasn't even finished the cosmetics reset and they cut all of their shifts out this week. We just got MyTime this week so I know it is only going to get worse.

It's sad because your livelihood is the hands of someone that only cares about their own personal greed. You get screwed over and have no say in the matter when it come to hours and pay. You are at the mercy of Target. Retail is cutthroat.

I was told by my ETL-HR that Target can not TELL a TM to cut their shift due to payroll constraints. The TM is expected to work their schedule as posted(as it says on every CCA for attendance ever done). If any TM's want to leave early voluntarily or wish to give up shifts, that is great, but under NO circumstances is Target to dictate to a TM that they are not going to be allowed to work their schedule. The TM makes a commitment to Target, and Target makes a schedule for that TM. If payroll is not being met, it is not the fault directly of the TM, and the TM should not be made to feel they will be retaliated for if they stay. Of course, if you elect to stay when they want to cut, you wind up being the only one left in the building to do 18719823 carts of go-backs, and lo and behold when the next schedule prints you only have 8 hours!!!! Viva Target!!!!

Well, considering they can't use the schedule to punish you, they shouldn't cut your hours if you do stay...unless they are cutting everyone's hours to make up for the lack of hours overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back