Archived Asking for a Raise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OHH and on top of that-- when people start leaving, they will just say "oh its retail and people come and go. It's just a part-time job for students and our flexibility works with their schedules" ..You know, crap like that in case it gets out to the media target is brutally treating their TM's

The only way anyone outside of the stores would know or care is if the TMs started doing what the Walmart and McDonalds employees are doing.
The only way Spot will change what it is doing is if they decide it is wrong (fat chance) or if the people organize.

And if the people organize, then Spot will decide to "remodel" their stores.

OHH and on top of that-- when people start leaving, they will just say "oh its retail and people come and go. It's just a part-time job for students and our flexibility works with their schedules" ..You know, crap like that in case it gets out to the media target is brutally treating their TM's

The only way anyone outside of the stores would know or care is if the TMs started doing what the Walmart and McDonalds employees are doing.
The only way Spot will change what it is doing is if they decide it is wrong (fat chance) or if the people organize.

And if the people organize, then Spot will decide to "remodel" their stores.

They got away with it once and the feds weren't happy about it.
If it happens again, the dreck will hit the fan.
If there is more than one store organizing and it's in the national news they might try it again but the results won't be so easy for them.

SeniorAP has it right...as long as we remain at Spot with the low increases then we're allowing them to take advantage of us....however, I also know and understand the process of searching for other employment. I'm searching now, but it took me a very long time to be ready to make this change. If I can do it, anyone can.....but you have to be ready to do it.

I've been with Spot for 7 years and I've finally gotten to the point that I was/am ready to search for something else. It is an anxious time for me, but I know that I will find another job. It is very helpful to have my job and have the time to wait for something that will be a better fit for me.

I have to say that I've learned that new cashiers at my store get $8.00 an hour. My hourly rate...after seven years...$8.99. This has been the latest reminder to me as to why I need to leave Spot.

I've been looking for a full-time, office job since 2010. I'm not making anymore side-steps. I took a break from applying to any other jobs until I reached the 3 month mark at Target, but since then, I decided I wasn't even applying anywhere that I wouldn't wanna work at long-term. No one wants me, so I'm still here.

sher- at least you are looking and that is what counts. Why leave for a new job if its not your cup of tea? At the moment you're working and you've got the luxury of being able to look and be choosy.

I've been looking for a full-time, office job since 2010. I'm not making anymore side-steps. I took a break from applying to any other jobs until I reached the 3 month mark at Target, but since then, I decided I wasn't even applying anywhere that I wouldn't wanna work at long-term. No one wants me, so I'm still here.

You need to be realistic. Most office jobs require a degree. Secondly, most office jobs require related experience. (and that's not retail) That's why you've been looking since 2010.

This is just like a TM at my store who says if he changes jobs it's going to have to be "worth it" to him. What does he say that means? He says the job has to start at 75K, monday-friday, all holidays off. His background? GED and his only work experience has been at Safeway, Wal-Mart, KFC, and Target.

People need to be realistic and look for realistic opportunities. Think about something that relates to what you have experience doing. For example, I managed to get a job at SCEA as a playstation rep in the past. Why? Because I had related experience.

Think outside the box. Don't just say "office job"... think something in particular you actually can relate to your current experience, but would also be a step up.

Start building your connections too. Part of the reason I was hired by SCEA is because our playstation rep put in a good word for me. Start talking to your vendors at work, not just walking by them. A lot of them work for companies that have lots of jobs related to retail... even if you don't want to be a vendor, they may hear about jobs their company has and can hook you up.

I........ have a degree. Finished school in December 2010, but technically, I graduated February 4th 2011 (Temple U!!!!!!!!!!). Thanks for assuming I don't, though haha (I'm kidding. Totes not offended. People at work assume the same). I've only been working retail for a year and a half, actually. I only said "office job" because I don't think it's really relevant in this thread. I was just saying why I haven't left Target, because someone brought that up. I haven't left because I don't have a job in my field (or in a field that would pay Sallie Mae and the fed gov back). I've actually sorta given up on the field I studied in. Not really, but I've always thought I could get a job low on the totem pole at a company I'd want to work in, then eventually move up. That's another reason for the vagueness. Also, not completely 100% on going into my field, so I'd settle for menial cubicle data entry if the benefits were nice. And yes, I do have experience doing menial cubicle-esque work... filing, phones, stuff like that.

My state gov does job fairs, resume help and all that jazz. They even have a job search site that seems to have jobs that no other site does. It's fab, but I'm in that spot where I'm overqualified for stuff that doesn't require a degree (or they perceive me as such) or under-qualified for jobs that require a degree in addition to a million years of experience. Then there are the jobs I (really anyone who understands MS Office) could do easily that don't require a degree but still require experience. I still apply for all of those and edit my resume to play up relevant skills. I probably have to work whatever connections I can, though, because it's not working. I wear a tiny lapel pin of my school's mascot on game days and that's led to a couple networking moments at Target.

I........ have a degree. Finished school in December 2010, but technically, I graduated February 4th 2011 (Temple U!!!!!!!!!!). Thanks for assuming I don't, though haha (I'm kidding. Totes not offended. People at work assume the same). I've only been working retail for a year and a half, actually. I only said "office job" because I don't think it's really relevant in this thread. I was just saying why I haven't left Target, because someone brought that up. I haven't left because I don't have a job in my field (or in a field that would pay Sallie Mae and the fed gov back). I've actually sorta given up on the field I studied in. Not really, but I've always thought I could get a job low on the totem pole at a company I'd want to work in, then eventually move up. That's another reason for the vagueness. Also, not completely 100% on going into my field, so I'd settle for menial cubicle data entry if the benefits were nice. And yes, I do have experience doing menial cubicle-esque work... filing, phones, stuff like that.

My state gov does job fairs, resume help and all that jazz. They even have a job search site that seems to have jobs that no other site does. It's fab, but I'm in that spot where I'm overqualified for stuff that doesn't require a degree (or they perceive me as such) or under-qualified for jobs that require a degree in addition to a million years of experience. Then there are the jobs I (really anyone who understands MS Office) could do easily that don't require a degree but still require experience. I still apply for all of those and edit my resume to play up relevant skills. I probably have to work whatever connections I can, though, because it's not working. I wear a tiny lapel pin of my school's mascot on game days and that's led to a couple networking moments at Target.

Then dude, sorry, but you have no one to blame but your self. The vast majority of people do not have a degree. You have a huge advantage and you are working with high school grads and drop outs. That (and all the excuses above) tell me you really don't want anything better.

At the very minimum you should be an ETL.... and don't try to BS me that you don't have the "experience" or whatever else. The fact is, every single ETL at your store graduated from college, went online, and straight up applied for an ETL job, many of them with zero work experience.... and now they make 50K. There is absolutely zero reason you couldn't have done the same thing.

And the sad thing is? You could *still* do the same thing. Yea, I know being a TM now pretty much kills it at Target... but guess what? Wal-Mart, Best Buy, etc all do the same thing. You can apply directly for a degreed manager job with them. They hire college grads with zero experience for 50K just like Target.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back