Archived Asking for raise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Details? I’m thinking I need to if they get rid of senior before I get it.

I have and was told, "you should've asked at review time"

It was, literally, the day I got my review. 😑

Interested to see responses though.

Always ask for a raise. It's a lot easier to do when changing positions though. Or during reviews.

I asked when another area was added to my workload and was told no, and that it was for my development.

I’m thinking this time I’m going to play the ‘other companies are actively trying to recruit me’ card. We can’t afford to lose any more leaders 😝

It's rare, but possible to get a raise. You have to be killing it though. Then you need your etl, etl hr, and stl to back you up. They bring it up to the dtl and hrbp. If they like what they hear they'll approve a raise. You may or may not have to have a chat with them to convince them why you deserve it. This is the process one of my peers went through to get his raise.

You need to be able to "defend" your request. What do you do that is consistently above and beyond expectations? How have you been innovative in meeting goals? What is your "unique" plan to continue promoting increased basket size, keep your team motivated and productive, bring more to the table? I negotiated a $3/hour wage increase (plus other smaller ones) using this method.

It is possible just be brave and state your case. I asked for and got a $3/hr raise after pointing out I was making base pay as a GSA which at the time) was .50 cents an hour more than cashiers. I had worked there a few years in all areas of the front end, and trained almost all of our front end team at the time (including several GSAs and GSTLs at guest service). I even trained some new etls in cash office and guest service.

I asked right after reviews when my pay bump was essentially negated by the minimum wage increase. The worst part was I found out I would still be making less after my review than the new GSA (who I had trained) who was hired in at .50 cents an hour more than what I made with no degree and I have one. It was very upsetting and the only reason I knew his pay was because he felt he wasn’t making enough after reviews and wanted my opinion. I even had a cashier making more than me at the time.

How are you supposed to be respected as a leader when you make less than those you are supposed to lead. That makes no sense and I couldn’t afford to live off what I was making. I brought it up to my ETL-GE, and the ETL-HR, and would’ve brought it to the STL if it was necessary. It was taken care of the pay cycle after the year end review pay increase kicked in.

I did however have to answer a few questions from my ETL-HR’s boss... who was visiting shortly after my pay had been increased. I explained the situation and how I didn’t think it was right the way things happened. She asked if I knew of anyone in a similar boat and said she was glad they were able to take care of it. Of course that raise will be practically useless after the next minimum wage bump but hey it helped this year.

All of that to say... it doesn’t hurt to ask for a raise. My ETL-HR said she respected me more for asking for it. And some other stuff about female empowerment... point being, talk to your ETLs and prove you are valuable and that they would hate it if you left.

I had one of my GSAs ask as well and was laughed out the door. She was also making less than someone she trained as another gsa and now same as cashiers. Just being brave and asking doesn’t always work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back