Asking to have a slightly earlier shift.

I need to leave a little bit early on an afternoon shift next month.

Should I just ask the HR to adjust my schedule for that day so I can leave an hour early?

I did just put in a temporary change request for that week too.

Personally since it's a small change, I'd just wait until that schedule is posted then ask my leader about changing it. At least at my store, HR won't change a shift without the TL/ETL saying so, and asking ahead of time they usually forget by the time they write the schedule.

Personally since it's a small change, I'd just wait until that schedule is posted then ask my leader about changing it. At least at my store, HR won't change a shift without the TL/ETL saying so, and asking ahead of time they usually forget by the time they write the schedule.
If it’s a closing shift I would not wait. At my leaders are not going to let you leave early if it’s a closing shift.

I would put in a request for that day. You
Can request to get off early that day. I would also speak with whatever leader makes the schedule. Tell the leader you don’t need the day off just need to leave by a certain time.

When I need to leave early (usually for an appointment), I just let my ETL schedule me as normal, then use sick pay to cover the part of my shift I don't work.

When I need to leave early (usually for an appointment), I just let my ETL schedule me as normal, then use sick pay to cover the part of my shift I don't work.
Were your leaders ok with you leaving early? Did you have to ask permission beforehand. Depending on what department you work in it might be better to let leaders know before they make the schedule so, they can make sure there is coverage for the time you will not be there.

Last edited:
In my experience it’s always easier to get time off approved before the schedule is written than it is trying to get leaders to change a shift after it’s been posted. It’s a lot easier for them to just schedule someone else to cover the shift or hours than it is to find someone who will agree to take the shift after the schedule comes out. Good luck!😁

In my experience it’s always easier to get time off approved before the schedule is written than it is trying to get leaders to change a shift after it’s been posted. It’s a lot easier for them to just schedule someone else to cover the shift or hours than it is to find someone who will agree to take the shift after the schedule comes out. Good luck!😁
I agree!!!!

If it's in a month then I would ask your etl if they want you to put in a time off request or of they can schedule you slightly different then normal. If it's something last minute usually it isn't a big deal for your schedule to be adjusted if it's not a huge difference.

I need to leave a little bit early on an afternoon shift next month.

Should I just ask the HR to adjust my schedule for that day so I can leave an hour early?

I did just put in a temporary change request for that week too.
Sometimes you ask questions like you’re a new hire. Other times you say you’ve worked there since 2015.
Very Suspish.

Last edited:
Were your leaders ok with you leaving early? Did you have to ask permission beforehand. Depending on what department you work in it might be better to let leaders know before they make the schedule so, they can make sure there is coverage for the time you will not be there.

I am a VM so coverage isn't really an applicable issue for me. I don't ask for permission to leave early for an appointment; I let me ETL I will be leaving early and why and that I will be using Sick pay to cover the time. I also let her know my workload plans to adjust for the lost time.

I do similar for using PTO. I will let her know the days I will be absent (after submitting the request) and then her know my plans for getting the workload completed around the time off. She knows my stance on PTO is I am not asking for those days off- I am letting her know I am unavailable those days. I know this is not a method that works for (most) everyone and I am careful not to take time off during busy times or when workload is especially heavy and I am needed.

Back