Attention Flow Tms and TL..need tips on driving for results

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have said this before but will say it again...Sometimes it not what you ask people to do that they have an issue with...its how you ask them to do it. If someone isn't performing up to standard them coach them ( try to help them) if they honestly are not trying and or don't give a crap...start the process of getting them out the door. However, if they are honestly giving it their all then work with them and not against them. ...step back and observe and the ones that are doing a great job give them that feedback...a sincere pat on the back goes a long way.

I have said this before but will say it again...Sometimes it not what you ask people to do that they have an issue with...its how you ask them to do it. If someone isn't performing up to standard them coach them ( try to help them) if they honestly are not trying and or don't give a crap...start the process of getting them out the door. However, if they are honestly giving it their all then work with them and not against them. ...step back and observe and the ones that are doing a great job give them that feedback...a sincere pat on the back goes a long way.

I always smile when people say ... "giving it all they can. I gave 100%. I gave 150%. I worked as hard as I could."

No, those are all so relative.

I told my etl, I give about 75%. 80% on a good day.

People who give their lives are giving 100%. Maybe Olympic athletes who train for years come close to giving 95%.

Just my opinion. I realize it's a euphemism for working hard.

But it's a low paying, retail job. For most, it's not a career, and they have no long term interest in the company.

I always smile when people say ... "giving it all they can. I gave 100%. I gave 150%. I worked as hard as I could."

No, those are all so relative.

I told my etl, I give about 75%. 80% on a good day.

People who give their lives are giving 100%. Maybe Olympic athletes who train for years come close to giving 95%.

Just my opinion. I realize it's a euphemism for working hard.

But it's a low paying, retail job. For most, it's not a career, and they have no long term interest in the company.

I always find it interesting that managers expect their teams to kick it up to 100% when they aren't ready to do the same.
The only way you are going to get that level of performance out of your crew is by setting the example and having their absolute loyalty.
If you are right there kicking ass and taking names, throwing boxes, making sure they are supported, not being pissed on from above, and keeping things moving, never stopping yourself, then and only then will your team perform to top level.
I get so tired of these baby ETLS who seem to think that just telling people will get the results they want.

Gang, this thread is a year and a half old. I don't think the OP is still looking for advice, and if they are, they have bigger problems.

A lot of people say that you need to lead by example - I don't necessarily think that this is the best tactic, your Team Members should know they're expected to do their job well regardless. But it can't hurt sometimes especially if your team is short handed.

@Flobizness has the most realistic advice.

edit: Oh wow didn't see how old this thread was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back