Audit advice

I am applying to be a team lead and I was given a project. I need to come up with a plan to have the OTC team audit their area, they are super far behind and always claim they have no time to do anything but pulls and truck. I have some ideas but I would love to hear anyone’s advice on coming up with a 2 week plan to help them get their on hands on track?

our OTC is 9 aisles, at 30 minutes per aisle that is 4.5 hours work spread over 2 weeks. NOT a serious problem.

Ahem....your taking a lame excuse like “other things to do” ??
I would simply say “This IS the thing you NEED to do”

I would bite the bullet and get it all done in one day and then beg for recovery help by way of store huddle or pull someone who is caught up To pitch in.

But, if you want to spread it out :
What if your DBO takes a half hour each day when they first arrive to scan/audit the dpci’s in ONE aisle, each day til it’s done.
If they get it out of the way first thing - they may not even feel the loss of time, OR they may hustle a bit more the rest of the day to come clean anyway.

could you pitch in for 15 minutes per day and complete 3 sections while they complete 3 sections - cuts the task in half !

I've worked those pulls and freight before and sometimes, it is all you have time for in your day. Especially when the OTC area gets so many guest questions and the pulls are large.

I'd also be hard-pressed to finish updating an entire aisle of OTC in 30 minutes- my stores aisles are longer than 24 ft and that's a lot of small items to update & count. Not staying it's impossible, but if the counts are really bad, it's going to eat up more time than you plan for.

@jenna Any advice/tips on how you manage this area so well?

OTC transition is coming up. Take advantage of the zone after presentation is done setting. Actually, presentation should be auditing it, at least at my store.

For DBO, have them audit first before they start 1f1 or truck.

I audit my entire area once a week. I work 5 days. I break down my area into 5 sections and do one a day. Today I’ll do From salads to strawberries. It will take 7 minutes max.

If the area is caught up on freight or atleast mostly caught up. Start with a routine for auditing outs. Dont give them an option and set the expectation that it has to get done. It will probably increase your freight workload for a little but till you get everything caught up again. I would say after that work on a section at a time. If your backroom isnt sorted by aisle its a good time to do that as well. Purge one section and start at the first aisle. In my store this would be A44. I would only backstock A44 items in that section and update the counts in that aisle. Dont even have to do the whole aisle in a day. They are looking for leadership qualities and progress. Seems like your otc dbo might be a veteran worker who might be difficult to deal with doing more tasks. Hopefully once they see that in the long run itll make there job easier theyll be more willing to take the extra steps.
Good luck and update us so we can maybe help be a little more detailed

Back