Archived Availability Change DENIED!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get it! I've tried 4 times to change my availability and every time I've been denied. I'm retired, but working for some extra money. I started out as seasonal, with open hours. I was kept on, so I waited 6 months before my first request for a change to 8am to 6pm, seven days a week, including holidays, 20 hours max.
My reason is that my wife is a breast cancer survivor and we promised each other to try to spend as much time as we can, together. She's a nurse and works days, so I'm trying to do the same. First time I was told that I didn't have a legitimate reason for the change, like school hours. Second time I was told that I signed on with open hours, so I had to stick to that. The last two times I was told that those hours are not consistent with what is required for retail. Now I find out that another TM is being allowed to change his availability to what I'm requesting, so that he can get a second job.
I don't get it! These are my hours of availability, yet I'm not being allowed to change them?
What has my STL got against me? I've had great reviews and was made the store's bike assembler about a year ago. Is the STL able to deny availability?

I dont understand denying availability, unless one were to change to one day availability for 5 hours, then I'd fire them, but thats just me. Your request seems very reasonable, especially if you get the reviews you claim (which I believe you would :)) Try sitting down and talking to the STL and see why. If you don't get anywhere the people at district level are very friendly :)

Oh and Welcome tho the Breakroom!

I dont understand denying availability, unless one were to change to one day availability for 5 hours, then I'd fire them, but thats just me. Your request seems very reasonable, especially if you get the reviews you claim (which I believe you would :)) Try sitting down and talking to the STL and see why. If you don't get anywhere the people at district level are very friendly :)

Oh and Welcome tho the Breakroom!
LittleJohn,
Thanks for the reply. I scheduled for 32 Reporters and Photographers on my previous job. It wasn't up to me if they ever changed their availability, I just had to deal with it on the schedule. I don't even know who my district people are? I really don't want to get my STL in hot water with district people. She just needs to realize that other people have lives that don't revolve around Target, as hers does and has to as an STL.
Any suggestions on how to approach the district folks? Thanks again.

took me 2 months to get mine changed, wasnt even a horrible change i was available till 8pm at night but i have never been scheduled past 6, got another part time evening job so i changed my availability to 6pm across the board. Its like they threw some kind of fit, in my 5 years at target i have never been there till 8pm but the minute i tried to change it the whole world ended. Finally threatend to get a DTL or the hotline involved becuase i needed the second job and they finally caved

Hopefully, you did request your changes on max. That way, you have document proof of rejection. My suggestion is, to do it on her again, go to max, request your changes. Offer to work on Saturday or Sunday in the morning & 2 or 3 evenings after 6pm.
the reason for changes are:
In order to get social security, I need to work less 25 hours a week.
Welcome, btw.

The only time I had to change availability was college, then working an internship along with Target, and worked a TV station job along with Target. All my stores knew my situations and worked with me.

If they are fighting you, I would keep throwing them Availability Change forms until they get the message.

I think to an explanation for your change of availability might have some effect.
Then again maybe not, Spot may own the HR-ETL's soul but you can always try.

It took me 2.5 months to get a los for school, ended up having to go to my stl because my hr was blowing me off

I think if you talk to the STL one on one you may get somewhere. If you offer to work one or two nights a week, you will get a little farther.

If you think of it from the stores point of view, and I don't like it either: There are at least 100 applications from people with open availability and Target is willing to hire them to replace you.
Target wants all team members to be willing to work 5 or 10 hours a week for most of the year, but if they need you more - they want you to be waiting gratefully for the hours even if the hours are crappy.

If I were you, I'd spend all the time you can with your wonderful wife - you're never going to wake up in the middle of the night and wish you spent more time at Target working.

just my two cents...

The only time I had to change availability was college, then working an internship along with Target, and worked a TV station job along with Target. All my stores knew my situations and worked with me.

If they are fighting you, I would keep throwing them Availability Change forms until they get the message.

Been there seen that. Keep throwing them the Change forms - they will keep throwing your wishes away. No means no. Unless something else changes, don't expect the answer to the request to change.

yeah, you need to actually talk to the person who approves/denies it. if they are a hardnosed "no" that may be it.

example: i put in an availability request which was repeatedly denied.

this request was to expand my availability.

i had to talk to the ETL to get them to actually approve it, because at the end of the day, they didn't even read it. auto-deny.

So you only want to work mornings or mids? I would deny that too. Look, most people do not want to close, closing sucks. The reason you give about wanting to sit at home with your wife is nice and all but how is that any more important to me when compared to TM-A wanting to have nights off for her kids or TM-B wanting to only work mornings because of another job or TM-C not wanting to work weekends because she likes to drink. None of those reasons matter when I'm trying to run a business. Retail is retail, you work nights and weekends, that's the needs of the business. I can't stand working a god damn mid every ****ing day except when I close but I deal with it. You won't get your STL in trouble, he can deny it and that's that. You honestly have no clue how many people get hired and then try to change their availability, it gets old. We don't do it. At my store we don't accept transfers or hire people who do not have open availability on the weekends and able to close.

I just talked with another TM who had no problem changing availability to days only, because he's thinking of getting a night job. STL told him he may just get a few less hours, but she'll do it. Now I really don't get it.
Decided that my next step is to take it to Employee Relations. It may not amount to anything and may even make it worse for me, but it's the next step. I've been trying to find out who my district or regional people are, but I've had no luck, otherwise I'd go to them next. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
I hope it comes back to bite you in the ass so hard. What you don't seem to understand is that your situation and the other TMs situation are completely different. You do not know everything that is going on. You won't win this, there is no rule saying they have to approve your availability request. You need to honestly think about if it's worth call district or regional offices because you can't get what you want. If you make waves on that level for something so damn minor you will be termed before the end of the year.

I just talked with another TM who had no problem changing availability to days only, because he's thinking of getting a night job. STL told him he may just get a few less hours, but she'll do it. Now I really don't get it.
Decided that my next step is to take it to Employee Relations. It may not amount to anything and may even make it worse for me, but it's the next step. I've been trying to find out who my district or regional people are, but I've had no luck, otherwise I'd go to them next. Thanks for the help.

I would wait until you've exhausted ALL in-store options - asking your TL, your ETL, ETL-HR, STL - before you go beyond that.

You're asking for nights off so you can sit at home. I don't blame you, but that's way different than nights off to put food on the table. It makes complete sense why it was denied, honestly. I totally get why you want to do it, but it doesn't make much sense to allow it from an employer's standpoint.

Just tell them you got a night job. I understand you wanting to spend time with your wife whos a cancer survivor, people who havent been through that experience will never understand!

Not sure if you're ULV or not, but try flow. That's why I applied for flow when I started. Have to leave earlier, but dinner will be ready when she gets home!

Not sure if you're ULV or not, but try flow. That's why I applied for flow when I started. Have to leave earlier, but dinner will be ready when she gets home!
'
That's a thought. Thanks for the constructive idea. Tough crowd here...but I have to try. I lost my first wife at a young age and had many regrets about things I didn't say and do. It rocked my world and changed me in a lot of ways. Last thing I need is more regrets.
'

Not too many folks here have experienced what you have so some may be less than sympathetic, but yeh, it's retail & work/life balance is a joke.
I'd approach the STL one-on-one before anything else. Don't cite the example of others; she'll just dig in harder. If she still denies your request, nothing you say to anybody higher up will matter a hill of beans. Your best bet is to get out of retail & find something more family-friendly.
Only when you've put in your 2 weeks will they realize how much it means to you but they still probably won't care.

Not too many folks here have experienced what you have so some may be less than sympathetic, but yeh, it's retail & work/life balance is a joke.
I'd approach the STL one-on-one before anything else. Don't cite the example of others; she'll just dig in harder. If she still denies your request, nothing you say to anybody higher up will matter a hill of beans. Your best bet is to get out of retail & find something more family-friendly.
Only when you've put in your 2 weeks will they realize how much it means to you but they still probably won't care.
redeye58, I think you're right. My ETL already knows my story and she does the schedule. If she's doesn't care, I guess no one there does. It's a shame. Thanks for the advice.

so true. Please enjoy spending time with your wife.

They will just set up interviews for another tm.

Sorry, I really am

redeye58, I think you're right. My ETL already knows my story and she does the schedule. If she's doesn't care, I guess no one there does. It's a shame. Thanks for the advice.

Spot owns her soul.
Or she doesn't have one at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back