Archived Availability Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi!

This is my first time here and I hope I'm posting in the right spot, as I'm brand new (I have orientation this coming Tuesday).

Right now I'm experiencing a lot of anxiety because I interviewed for a position at my local Target for apparel and accessories as a sales floor team mem, and was hired on the spot. On my job application, I believe my availability was listed as every day of the week from 10 AM to 10/11 PM. However, this took place back in late April, despite the fact that I could not begin work until June (now) due to living three hours away while attending college.
Because I was hired back in April, I had some unanticipated schedule conflicts arise that I was unable to disclose in my interview. In late May, I took a second job offer (I just started working this job on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday), because I am a student who is trying to fund her education and found it necessary to get more than one part-time job, and I also have a few doctors appointments that I did not have scheduled at the time that I will not be able to miss, but am worried that I will not have enough time to request time off for once I am finished with orientation.

After reading a few posts about how strict the company can be about availability changes and calling in sick, particularly with new hires/seasonal employees, I'm really scared about asking to change my availability and disclosing that my schedule has changed since my interview, even though I also want to be honest and I know that the way/timeframe in which I was hired was abnormal, so I'm hoping that will allow give me some flexibility.

As far as I see it, I have a few options:
1. Be honest about my situation on the first day of orientation and ask to change my availability, hoping that I do not face any repercussions.
2. Say nothing for fear of facing negative repercussions and hope that I can get by on asking people to cover my shift for my other job (and possibly my Target shift) when needed, calling in sick every once in a while if I'm scheduled at the same time for one job or the other, etc.
3. LAST RESORT: Quit my other job and hope that I am able to work enough hours at Target to support myself and stay busy so that I do not have to deal with this stress and the prospect of getting in trouble for not being as available as I claimed to be.

Additionally, I have a question: if I were to explain my (unique) situation and the fact that I felt like I needed two part-time jobs to support myself through college, would I be reprimanded/terminated by HR? I understand that my request to change my ability may very well be denied, but I just don't want to ask for anything that will cause me to risk my job.

Sorry for my long rant, I'm just really anxious and I've clearly gotten myself in quite a pickle. Thanks in advance for any help.

Go with #1.
They might rescind the job offer because you were hired based on that wide-open avail but it's the best of your three options.
#2 will end up questioning your commitment & calling in sick 'every once in a while' during your first 90 days will guarantee you won't be kept.
#3 If you've read all the threads on here about hour cuts you shouldn't pin your hopes solely on Target.

Target’s official policy is to not schedule around another job. Several people in my store have 2 or more jobs, but their other job works around what we schedule them. See if your other job would be willing to work something out too. For our Style Team the truck days are definitely the busiest so try and be available on those days as much as possible. And the weekends seem to be made for reshop.

I would actually call and see if you can speak with HR before your first day of orientation.

The policy on availability changes might vary depending on the store and/or the department you’re working in. For example, I have a full-time job, and Target is my part-time job. I’ve worked with Target for about six months now, and have made changes to my availability three times. My availability with a Target is 100% scheduled around not only my other job but also my personal life and commitments.

It doesn’t hurt to talk with someone and ask if the availability change is at all possible. Acknowledge that you’re asking to change your availability after committing to it during your interview, but thank them for the consideration. If it’s approved, you have nothing to worry about. If it’s denied, you’ll just have some thinking to do.

Just asking a question won’t risk your job. A lot of people in my store also work a second job. It’s pretty normal. If they deny your request, you might have to reach out to the other job and/or decide if it’s a job you want to keep.

Talk to hr at orientation. They are more likely to be reasonable in person.

For me I get it and don't take any of this personal, but if I hired you to fill a specific shift and you change your availability to not work it, I might decide to look elsewhere.

I would say option 1, as Target is not prioritizing providing livable hours to its workforce right now. If they're unwilling to work with you (which I understand both sides -- you said you had a certain availability, but two months is a long time to wait around for them to give you your first day while not making any money), I say find another part time job to go with the other job you found. There are many, many other PT jobs out there that understand they have to provide flexibility and/or consistency to maintain a PT workforce.

Good luck!

Thank you all for your feedback!

I have orientation tomorrow and my heart has literally been beating out of my chest all day. As of right now, I don’t see any way that I would be willing to give up my other job, especially since it appears that they are a lot more flexible with scheduling (something I need as a college student) and seem willing to be giving me more hours.

However, because I originally put on my job application that I was not available to work before 10 AM each day, I now plan to offer to come in as early as 7AM on the days that I still CAN work, and to also stay as late as 12PM/closing, rather than ~10PM, to minimize the number of hours I am hoping to reduce my availability by, and also to decrease the chances that my job offer will be rescinded, especially since I know a lot of people my age are especially hesitant to work morning shifts in particular.

Hopefully this works out! 😕

Thank you all for your feedback!

I have orientation tomorrow and my heart has literally been beating out of my chest all day. As of right now, I don’t see any way that I would be willing to give up my other job, especially since it appears that they are a lot more flexible with scheduling (something I need as a college student) and seem willing to be giving me more hours.

However, because I originally put on my job application that I was not available to work before 10 AM each day, I now plan to offer to come in as early as 7AM on the days that I still CAN work, and to also stay as late as 12PM/closing, rather than ~10PM, to minimize the number of hours I am hoping to reduce my availability by, and also to decrease the chances that my job offer will be rescinded, especially since I know a lot of people my age are especially hesitant to work morning shifts in particular.

Hopefully this works out! 😕

Let us know how it goes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back