Archived Availability Conflict

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question on if my availability for the summer can get denied even if its for religious reasons? My ETL gets on me for remotely changing my availability, I work another job at school/go to school M-F and work at Target Saturday/Sunday. I was asked by my mosque to help teach a class on Saturdays and I was going to ask for Saturdays off and only work Sundays for the summer. They have been cutting my hours to only 8 hours each week/4 a day when I only ask for 16. My team members have been getting the full 40 and they’ve been calling them in/asking them to stay late. I’ve never been asked or offered any of that. I feel useless on Saturdays and would be more helpful to have me on Sundays for ad/auto-pulls. Is my ETL allowed to deny my availability change for needing the day off to teach the class? Any help is appreciated! Thank you!!

I have a question on if my availability for the summer can get denied even if its for religious reasons? My ETL gets on me for remotely changing my availability, I work another job at school/go to school M-F and work at Target Saturday/Sunday. I was asked by my mosque to help teach a class on Saturdays and I was going to ask for Saturdays off and only work Sundays for the summer. They have been cutting my hours to only 8 hours each week/4 a day when I only ask for 16. My team members have been getting the full 40 and they’ve been calling them in/asking them to stay late. I’ve never been asked or offered any of that. I feel useless on Saturdays and would be more helpful to have me on Sundays for ad/auto-pulls. Is my ETL allowed to deny my availability change for needing the day off to teach the class? Any help is appreciated! Thank you!!
Must be available at least 6 hours each day on Saturday’s and sundays. Just request them off.

So you want to work just Sunday . Well why have you at all? I would rather hire someone with open availability or at least 4 days available . And sorry to say but up until now you worked Saturday . And yes he can deny your availability change because it’s all about business needs . Your store is already is liniment with your school.

Reactions: Lux
during school year I work Sundays and one night (if they even need me, usually it is just Sunday). definitely focus on school, but see if there's one night you can do, or maybe before or after your Saturday class?

they can deny availability change for any reason

Sadly, I would deny that because of business needs. Matter in fact we won't hire anyone with only weekend availability.

It could fall under the category of religious accommodation, but I would see what hours you'd be available on Saturdays. Target is open 7am to 10pm-midnight on Saturdays, so unless the class is ridiculously long, it seems like you should be able to work at least a 4-5 hour shift in there somewhere.

If you had availability other days, that would be one thing, but if you're only available on weekends and then you say you're only available the less busy of the two weekend days, Spot could make a case that it isn't reasonable to accommodate that request. If you were only asking for Saturdays off (and could work the rest of the week), that would be one thing, but if it's one of your two days, then it's tough.

during school year I work Sundays and one night (if they even need me, usually it is just Sunday). definitely focus on school, but see if there's one night you can do, or maybe before or after your Saturday class?

they can deny availability change for any reason

They actually can't deny an availability that's due to religious reasons, but wanting to work for a place of worship isn't part of what's protected.
It has to strictly be that the religion decrees that you cannot work during that time frame.

They actually can't deny an availability that's due to religious reasons
This. Why is everyone ignoring the word "religion"? That trumps everything.

Yes, @Overadecade does have a good point about the teaching part, but maybe ask for your imam to sign some statement saying it's for religious purposes.

You have to be reasonable.

If you say my religion prevents me from working Sundays for example, fine, but OP is proposing only working one day a week. That’s not going to fly, unless they really need you that one day.

This. Why is everyone ignoring the word "religion"? That trumps everything.

Yes, @Overadecade does have a good point about the teaching part, but maybe ask for your imam to sign some statement saying it's for religious purposes.
Up until now she didn’t have any issues working on Saturday and sundays only now it became religious . So op wanting to volunteer on Saturday at the mosque it is not a religious reason not to work . And if I would be hr I would say nice try .

You have to be reasonable.

If you say my religion prevents me from working Sundays for example, fine, but OP is proposing only working one day a week. That’s not going to fly, unless they really need you that one day.
But her religion doesn’t prevent her from working . She is throwing the word religious reasons but she definitely doesn’t know the meaning of it.

This & this:
Up until now she didn’t have any issues working on Saturday and sundays only now it became religious . So op wanting to volunteer on Saturday at the mosque it is not a religious reason not to work . And if I would be hr I would say nice try .
But her religion doesn’t prevent her from working . She is throwing the word religious reasons but she definitely doesn’t know the meaning of it.

They actually can't deny an availability that's due to religious reasons, but wanting to work for a place of worship isn't part of what's protected.
It has to strictly be that the religion decrees that you cannot work during that time frame.

They can't deny the availability change but they CAN say "we already have enough people that can work on Sundays. If you can't open up other days we may have no work for you." They can also say "ok, that class is from 10 to noon. You still need to keep the afternoon open."

Here is the government's opinion on the matter.

Religious Discrimination - https://www.eeoc.gov/laws/types/religion.cfm

The summary is pretty broad, so no super detailed list. But it protects beliefs and practices, which religious schooling would likely be protected under. The employer cannot discriminate with any aspect of employment, including job assignments and layoffs. So if religious schooling is covered, not scheduling the OP for Sunday because the availability was restricted due to a religious practice would be illegal.

Like it or not, non mainstream Christian beliefs and practices are protected by law in the US, and that includes job protection. You can't impede someone else's beliefs simply because they don't fit a schedule acceptable by the majority of religious folks.

Here is the government's opinion on the matter.

Religious Discrimination - https://www.eeoc.gov/laws/types/religion.cfm

The summary is pretty broad, so no super detailed list. But it protects beliefs and practices, which religious schooling would likely be protected under. The employer cannot discriminate with any aspect of employment, including job assignments and layoffs. So if religious schooling is covered, not scheduling the OP for Sunday because the availability was restricted due to a religious practice would be illegal.

Like it or not, non mainstream Christian beliefs and practices are protected by law in the US, and that includes job protection. You can't impede someone else's beliefs simply because they don't fit a schedule acceptable by the majority of religious folks.
An employer does not have to accommodate an employee's religious beliefs or practices if doing so would cause undue hardship to the employer. An accommodation may cause undue hardship if it is costly, compromises workplace safety, decreases workplace efficiency, infringes on the rights of other employees, or requires other employees to do more than their share of potentially hazardous or burdensome work.”
There for they can deny it.

Saturdays off cannot possibly be considered an undue hardship with the number of people who can work Saturday's. So temporary Sundays only can easily be accommodated without retaliation of zero hours.

Saturdays off cannot possibly be considered an undue hardship with the number of people who can work Saturday's. So temporary Sundays only can easily be accommodated without retaliation of zero hours.

Unless the TM is only available Saturdays & Sundays, and the store can only have so many TMs on payroll and having someone who can only work 1 day a week does present an issue. Especially since this isn't really an accommodation of religious beliefs, just a desire on the part of the TM to teach a class on Saturdays that, I'm assuming, doesn't last for 17 hours so said TM could presumably work around the class. I get the frustration of not getting 2 8-hour shifts on weekend days, but store aren't really doing that, anyway, unless you're a TL (at least my store isn't), so if I were doing the schedule I would assume I can work with the TM to schedule a 4-5 hour shift on Saturdays, around the class, and then whatever the business needs on Sundays. If Sunday is then the only day they can work, and I have a lot of TMs that call in on Saturdays (as we do at my store), it would be harder for me to justify keeping around a TM who can only work 1 day a week.

Business needs vary by location, plus ASANTS. If you are in a large metro area with a booming economy and it's hard to find any qualified people to fill jobs, a store like target usually will be more flexible to keep you even with some availability restrictions. It comes down to what the STL/SD and HR-ETL decide, you might as well try presenting the business case for accommodating your availability. If it doesn't work out, you might be surprised at other jobs where they will be delighted to pick up someone who worked at target and you'll have the ability as a prospective hire to negotiate your availability with them - and the key here is, "negotiate".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back