Archived back stock on the line

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, so I don't know whether this applies to any other store(meaning the specific numbers on boxes) or is similar but at the store I'm at the back room people are always yelling at those of us on the line for getting the back stock side messed up, specifically for putting boxes with one number on different pallets not matching the number which those that have been there longer have told us to do. I was wondering if there is an easier way to tell which boxes go on each pallet. Generally it seems to be home/domestics is on one and plastics is on the other but no matter which way we organize it is still ends up being wrong. So I was just wondering if there is an easy way to tell which items go on which pallet with not necessarily following the number that's on the box.

Last edited:
You're talking about during unload right? My store has some sheets on the steel where the pallets are lined up. One sheet per pallet, says what goes there. The complication being that we don't really follow that so much anymore; things have changed around a bit since it was first set up. So really its more getting walked through the pallet locations by whoever's working the back side and just learning it through repetition.

Yeah it's on the unload and we have the papers saying were the boxes should go as well but some of them have multiple numbers that go on each pallet and they all seem to overlap, the problem is the back room people won't tell us how we are doing it wrong and that we should ask those that have been there longer if we don't know but that hasn't helped much either. The back stock side is set up differently than the push side but the back room people would rather just yell at us each day for getting it wrong than telling us how to sort it since it's apparently different.

Our backroom TMs are always talking shit about how bad things are sorted, but just amongst themselves and to the TL.

The biggest issue flow has is that they are used to reading the custom block number (the numbers you are talking about @randomlife) but the backroom needs the pallets sorted by department number (the first 3 digits in the DPCI).

If you are usually on the back of the line, ask one of those backroom TMs to take some time to properly explain how to sort it. Maybe even update the signs above the line that say where everything goes.

If all else fails, maybe a backroom TM should be scheduled on the unload for the first hour of every truck so they can run the backside themselves and see if they can do a better job with hundreds of boxes flying at them.

Depends on the stockroom. I'd just ask the backroom how they want their blackline, the ones that have to deal with blackline should be there at the same time the truck is unloading.

Doesn't strictly matter how blackline is organized as long as it's grouped conveniently enough to be tossed quickly to the right aisles in the stockroom. Our TMs just read where it goes in the store, it lines up with how our stockroom is organized so the custom block is just ignored, only newer TMs use the custom block until they get more used to the speed of the line. Getting TMs to know receiving and stockroom allow them to audit the boxes as they are all too often off.

As a overnight backroom slug, I see both perspectives here. It all depends on how things are blocked, which tend to lean toward floor locations (In our store). Example: Trash bags and storage containers (CHEM, PAPR) are under 33, but are stocked in opposite ends of the stockroom.

Now, I've done backstock side of the line, flow side, backroom..Unless they want longer unload times, it's just quicker to throw it on the custom block (Exception for heavier/bulk) than to see the department, or class, and throw it there. Slightly more time for backroom, but overall it's easier to sort 4-5 odd boxes (Dependant on how well your custom blocks are)

Our backroom TMs are always talking shit about how bad things are sorted, but just amongst themselves and to the TL.

The biggest issue flow has is that they are used to reading the custom block number (the numbers you are talking about @randomlife) but the backroom needs the pallets sorted by department number (the first 3 digits in the DPCI).

If you are usually on the back of the line, ask one of those backroom TMs to take some time to properly explain how to sort it. Maybe even update the signs above the line that say where everything goes.

If all else fails, maybe a backroom TM should be scheduled on the unload for the first hour of every truck so they can run the backside themselves and see if they can do a better job with hundreds of boxes flying at them.

I ALWAYS scheduled a backroom Tm to work the back of the line. ALWAYS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back