Archived Background Check Inquiry - Job Offer Contingent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

My fiancé was recently offered employment contingent upon passing a background check. I know Target now doesn't ask about criminal convictions on the application but they did ask after the job offer in this case. Anyway in 2009 he was convicted of misdemeanor embezzlement. He completed the consent for background check where it had him disclose any convictions. Often I see these employment forms will say within the past 7 years, but this questionnaire did not specify a time limit so he disclosed truthfully accordingly. He also explained he held down several jobs since then and the like. Through googling I read something about Target settling a class action lawsuit earlier this year about hiring practices with criminal convictions and changing their hiring practices based upon the settlement but I don't know all the details on that or if those changes have gone into effect.

Does anyone know how many years back Target's background check goes? Do you suspect this almost decade old misdemeanor will be an issue? The state of employment is Georgia by the way (conviction was in Virginia). Any constructive input or relevant feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

muRXGU8.gif

What's it matter? He'll find out in a week at the most if he's hired.

What's it matter? He'll find out in a week at the most if he's hired.
“Any constructive input or relevant feedback would be appreciated”. Please keep that last sentence in mind.

Isn’t it pretty obvious why it matters? So I can maybe know what to expect before it happens.

“Any constructive input or relevant feedback would be appreciated”. Please keep that last sentence in mind.

Isn’t it pretty obvious why it matters? So I can maybe know what to expect before it happens.

Well there's really only 2 options, and you'll know pretty soon. So you can expect that he'll either be hired, or maybe he won't. There's not much you can do to change that.

Well there's really only 2 options, and you'll know pretty soon. So you can expect that he'll either be hired, or maybe he won't. There's not much you can do to change that.

Obviously. I’m not trying to be a jerk here but your input is completely unhelpful and I am not sure why you would even reply. Some people may actually have information relevant to the questions answered based on exepeirnce. Clearly you are not one of those people.

Obviously. I’m not trying to be a jerk here but your input is completely unhelpful and I am not sure why you would even reply. Some people may actually have information relevant to the questions answered based on exepeirnce. Clearly you are not one of those people.

I don't know how it would change anything.

I don't know how it would change anything.

It wouldn’t. You aren’t listening. It would give me a heads up on what to probably expect which I would appreciate. You continue to tell me things that are really obvious and unhelpful.

It wouldn’t. You aren’t listening. It would give me a heads up on what to probably expect which I would appreciate. You continue to tell me things that are really obvious and unhelpful.

Well, I'm telling you, you can expect one of two options. 50% chance he'll be hired, 50% chance he won't.

I don't have any answers, but I imagine the position he applied for will factor in. Did the subject come up during his interviews? Does he have any personal connections at the store?

It was the position that fufills online orders. And no, no personal connections. It did not come up at the interview.

It was the position that fufills online orders. And no, no personal connections. It did not come up at the interview.

hmmmmmmmm, yeah I'd say 50/50.

Hello,

My fiancé was recently offered employment contingent upon passing a background check. I know Target now doesn't ask about criminal convictions on the application but they did ask after the job offer in this case. Anyway in 2009 he was convicted of misdemeanor embezzlement. He completed the consent for background check where it had him disclose any convictions. Often I see these employment forms will say within the past 7 years, but this questionnaire did not specify a time limit so he disclosed truthfully accordingly. He also explained he held down several jobs since then and the like. Through googling I read something about Target settling a class action lawsuit earlier this year about hiring practices with criminal convictions and changing their hiring practices based upon the settlement but I don't know all the details on that or if those changes have gone into effect.

Does anyone know how many years back Target's background check goes? Do you suspect this almost decade old misdemeanor will be an issue? The state of employment is Georgia by the way (conviction was in Virginia). Any constructive input or relevant feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks
This thread may answer most questions.
Background check... - https://www.thebreakroom.org/threads/background-check.17339/page-2

I have no experience with how background checks are passed or denied, but I would guess that the fact that the charge was embezzlement would be a red flag. Misdemeanor marijuana possession or vandalism or something would suck, but embezzlement or theft go straight at financial risks to the company and I could see them being a lot less likely to let those pass. Particularly if the role he was hired for is in the front end or deals with money in any way.

That's just a guess, though.

If he disclosed it on his application, there is a less likely chance he will be hired. My understanding is that Target has a 7 year look back period, but, like I said if he disclosed it , it looks bad.The term “embezzlement” screams of dishonesty.
Please let us know of the outcome.

If he disclosed it on his application, there is a less likely chance he will be hired. My understanding is that Target has a 7 year look back period, but, like I said if he disclosed it , it looks bad.The term “embezzlement” screams of dishonesty.
Please let us know of the outcome.

The application did not ask but then there was a follow up document after the interview which did ask and he did disclosed. Thanks for your input. I’m surprised the quesrionatiree itself even asked for more than seven years if the background check doesn’t go back more than seven. It almost punishes honesty for people with records.

Glad to know it's worked out positively.
When I worked HR in a completely different industry, a whole lot depended on if the person disclosed information when asked AND what it was AND when it happened.
Don't disclose and I find out when the background check comes back? Nope, not hiring.
Something really minor but recent and potentially relevant to the job? I'd have reservations and bring it to my boss for review, if the applicant aced the interview and had good experience.
Something really minor and a long time ago, even if relevant to the job? If you've been clean since then, I have no problem. People make mistakes.
I never had to deal with anything major, and was glad I never had to confront that decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back