Backroom Snack Aisle

Hey everyone I was just wondering if anyone had any set plan for their snack aisle in their backroom. Currently my stores snack aisle is a complete mess and has no organization. Does anyone happen to have theirs set up to where say kind bars in backstocked in one section and Pringle’s in another. Thanks!

Used to be a F&B TL. We organized our backroom according to sales floor pog. If an item was located on A5 (3)-1-4-2, our backroom aisle would mimic the same layout. So anything in that pog would be designated in that area. We labeled each backroom section accordingly. Was a tough transition but we were able to achieve it pretty consistently whenever we didn't get slammed with trucks. The market department alone would bring in anywhere from $60k-$90k on a regular day, just for reference.

Also need to take a look at your SFQ. When was the last time you guys did a deep audit? Your counts may be completely off. Sometimes all you need is a good ol' purge, to be honest.

Try partnering up with your leadership to see if they shift some hours for that. I would definitely look into your SFQs, OHs, but definitely purge your aisle and make sure your SFQ is accurate so all your time purging doesn't go to waste.

Used to be a F&B TL. We organized our backroom according to sales floor pog. If an item was located on A5 (3)-1-4-2, our backroom aisle would mimic the same layout. So anything in that pog would be designated in that area. We labeled each backroom section accordingly. Was a tough transition but we were able to achieve it pretty consistently whenever we didn't get slammed with trucks. The market department alone would bring in anywhere from $60k-$90k on a regular day, just for reference.

Also need to take a look at your SFQ. When was the last time you guys did a deep audit? Your counts may be completely off. Sometimes all you need is a good ol' purge, to be honest.

Try partnering up with your leadership to see if they shift some hours for that. I would definitely look into your SFQs, OHs, but definitely purge your aisle and make sure your SFQ is accurate so all your time purging doesn't go to waste.
To add to that check your dates if your product is stuck in the backroom then most likely you have outdated product granola bars in snack for instance domt have that lomg of a shelf life compared to say fruitsnacks but it should clear up quite a bit of space aswell

We haven’t audited it in months nor has leadership really focused on it. I’m not even working in market I’m sfs but I help out in every department. Also do you guys use Waco’s all the way up. Our store has considered that to help with the errors in our backroom with sfs coming and taking case packs out when they need one item and no rebackstocking

We are in the process of going ladderless and caseless in our backroom rn so nothing over 6 feet

We are ladderless and caseless and we have a clean back room.

We have four shelves of wacos in each section and they are not allowed to backstock except in wacos. We do 20k a day right now.

The rule is that if you backstock something, you adjust sfq and capacity at that time and call me over for necessary audits. Then we audit and purge one four foot section from each aisle daily. If the dbo has enough of something to make an end or a side or even one of those freezer things, we work to get it out.

We haven’t audited it in months nor has leadership really focused on it. I’m not even working in market I’m sfs but I help out in every department. Also do you guys use Waco’s all the way up. Our store has considered that to help with the errors in our backroom with sfs coming and taking case packs out when they need one item and no rebackstocking
You aren’t allowed to rebackstock when you pull a full casepack for an order? That just seems counter-productive, if i’m understanding it correctly. I mean, I understand the concept and the reasoning behind it, but it was already backstocked to begin with. It'll get pulled during the OFO if your store's sales floor is accurate (as mentioned in previous post)

I’m actually the current Flex TL, I always tell my team that if they are pulling a full casepack and need to backstock, see if there is a TM from that area pulling a batch and ask if you can add it to their batch. 8/10 I can guarantee you that the sales floor has room for it. If it ends up getting backstocked, oh well, our DBOs would rather have the extra box to make sure their aisles are accurate. Then again, my store's culture can be very different from your own.

Even if you are going ladderless or not, as long as everyone is following proper backstocking rules, you should have an easier time locating things. It sounds very ETL-like, but it's honestly true and the easiest thing your store can get behind to assure the backroom is one less obstacle for you guys. We are following a Lower location, followed by 4 shelves of wacos, along with an additional upper. Our Domestics, Home, and I believe Bedding and Bath will soon go caseless, so that'll be interesting.

We just finished cleaning out Groc 1 and Bev. Snack is a top priority for us because just as in your store, ours is a complete mess. I find myself auditing practically every WACO when pulling OFOs and man does that slow me down. I recommend purging all of Snack and pushing as much as you can to the floor. You'll be surprised how much 0 in back 0 on floor products there are, and you end up finding a shit ton in the back. Change the SFQ and EXF. Backstock whatever doesn't go out. If it's clearance or decode, try to push it out. Organizing the back according to the sales floor pog and labeling each four foot section, as recommend in the previous replies, is best. Once it's all done, checking the BRLA once a week and clearing out the clearance/discontinued/salvage will keep the back clear. Also, I recommend trying your best to keep up to 2 DPCIs per WACO, otherwise it's a mess. And keep the barcodes facing out, will make OFO more efficient.

Question about purging -
what are you doing with NOP’s ?
If there's a price, I recommend pushing it out to a spot that makes sense and store tying it there. You can also check if it's a transition item that may have been sent early on, where it doesn't have an upcoming pog yet. I believe my ETL had said if it's vendor with no location and no upcoming pog, you can mysupport it and then flex it out.

Question about purging -
what are you doing with NOP’s ?

If they have a price we flex them to an end or basket or something. If they're salvage we savvage them. If it's something not seasonally relevant and we don't have a lot of it (frozen pumpkin pies, etc.) we will donate it. If it's clearance we will let it sell down but if it's full price we eventually get tired of looking at it and donate. Depending on what it is, we also might work with hr to requisition it for the team (snacks and drinks mostly.)

Just wanted to share this with you guys. We just redid our snack backroom aisle. It was a disaster before. We purged, pushed, PTMed and backstocked. Our total backroom count went from 53,000 units to 37,000 units. We also cleaned up CNDY as well. The backroom aisles for C and D are almost completely empty.. so all that factors in obviously.

Attachments

• 20200719_104039.jpg
    20200719_104039.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 47
Just wanted to share this with you guys. We just redid our snack backroom aisle. It was a disaster before. We purged, pushed, PTMed and backstocked. Our total backroom count went from 53,000 units to 37,000 units. We also cleaned up CNDY as well. The backroom aisles for C and D are almost completely empty.. so all that factors in obviously.
Looks good. How is your chip section? That's the worst part of snack for us

We saved the bottom most shelves for big bags of chips and stuff especially with stuff like the big bags of pirates booty it’s hard to fit them into the middle shelf wacos

Our backroom aisles now look really good and organized and we are going caseless for a while and organized each section for a specific thing like one section for peanut butter, one for pasta like that. It really helps speed up the pull and push . Going caseless works best for grc 2 otherwise just for 1-2 cereals , I had to take the whole case out from the topmost shelf which scares the hell out of me !! Now I really like doing the one for ones .😀

Only a few WACOs full of chips. We have been pushing as much as we can on the floor. We set mini seasonal this week and got rid of all vendor spots and PTMed our own product.

We saved the bottom most shelves for big bags of chips and stuff especially with stuff like the big bags of pirates booty it’s hard to fit them into the middle shelf wacos
We actually adjust our shelves to fit certain products. So we have.. i believe.. 2 4 foot sections for chips and the shelves are set high enough to be able to fit the big chips 😊
This makes it super easy to push to the floor because we can combine each aisles products together on the cart.

Our backroom aisles now look really good and organized and we are going caseless for a while and organized each section for a specific thing like one section for peanut butter, one for pasta like that. It really helps speed up the pull and push . Going caseless works best for grc 2 otherwise just for 1-2 cereals , I had to take the whole case out from the topmost shelf which scares the hell out of me !! Now I really like doing the one for ones .😀
Right?? Caseless is the best!!!

Back