Archived Backroom Team can't take their 15 untill the autofills are pulled

Status
Not open for further replies.
That happened this morning. This was my first time pulling autofills in the backroom (pull the EnE ones all the time). There were three of us to do the pulls, weren't allowed to take our 15 until our third hour.

This isn't right is it? I need to read the posters on the wall and figure out what the break/meal guidelines are for sure before I call the hotline.

I believe for every three to four hour shift you get a 15 minute break at least in california. As long as you take it after your 2 hour mark then youre fine. Some people actually wait until their last 15 minutes of their shift to take their break at our store. Our ETL HR says that we have to take it at least 1 hour before we are off.

In NY, if your shift is at least 3.50 hours long, you have to take a 15. Our dayside leadership doesn't generally care when except at the front end, where the cashiers have a break schedule. Overnight has set times every night when they all break together.

Sunday - no truck day? We generally pull until finished then take our break together (at 8 when the store opens) so going at the 3rd hour doesn't seem too bad to me. I think as long as you GET a break, the hotline can't do much for you. How long was your shift?

Yes, no truck. I was working 5-12.

That's why I asked here, I figured you guys would know.

Our autofill team NEVER takes break until autofills are at least scanned out and staged wherever they need to be. its a group decision so things get done efficiently and on time. I know when I'm in the backroom, I don't want to go back to pulling after breaking. I'd rather just get it done then be able to do whatever else afterwards.

If you got a break, then nothing wrong happened. Target wants you to take your break near the middle of your shift, or the middle between other breaks and or lunches. There's no laws in my state (for adults at least) that state when breaks have to be taken by. Actually, in my state employers are not required to let adults have breaks and lunches. The joys of living in a red state.

We(flow) usually don't take our 15 until around 9-930 and we are a 6am process. They call it over the intercom. nobody complains, we are getting our break.

That's generally how it goes at my store as well: first 15 is taken after the autos are done. It's usually not a problem (unless they get screwed by a NCNS) to get them done before 8 anyways, except during Christmas time, and during BTS with the OFCE and Stationary pulls being outrageous.

Yeah, it's kind of an unspoken thing that we do, but they can't make you wait. The only time I took it before was when I was the only one there. I try to do the 2-2-2-2 whenever I work.

In backroom day, you have to work your butt off to get a break especially on the weekends. That's what I do. Got to bust my butt just so I can walk to the front to sit down for 15 minutes possibly eat and drink some water or soda.

3 hours, then break. Why would you want to take one before that? Seems like a waste.

Why would you work any longer than 2 hours? Unless you want your last break to be one hour after your lunch.

Not sure what the big deal is on finishing your autofills then going to break. Isn't someone working those out as you pull? If they get caught up with you while you're breaking, that's lost productivity. Plus it's just seems like a natural time to take your break when you finish one of your morning's main tasks. I used to do the autofills and the br suspect date audit before first break. Maybe you should switch to price change or instocks. They pretty much set their own pace at my store.

Don't get the idea that I'm a slacker, because I'm not. A lot of these responses are sounding like that. I work as hard, if not harder, than everyone on my team.

I was under the impression that breaks were required to be taken at 2 hours, lunch at 4/5hrs. The way it's been since the day I started working at Target. Since that isn't the law (I must have misunderstood/misread) then it's a non-issue.

Instocks and price change at my store are the two laziest teams.

Ok, so how about this? We are in the middle of a transition to 6am (currently at 5am), it's been a little rough but we are getting through it. Every flow TM was scheduled for four hours, it was a light truck - easily 100% done by 9am. The ETL Log worked the entire flow team until the push was done (around 8:30-8:45) and sent them home early without a break.

I worked to 15 minutes before my 5th, took my break and then lunch. I was scheduled 5-11:30 am for EnE push and backstock

Does your store have MyTime? If the MyTime system has you set to go on break at ##:##, then call the LOD and tell them you are going to break per the break schedule. They can finish the pulls, or find a way to not have MyTime schedule breaks the way it does. It had me on break with nobody else scheduled on the floor. The ETL-HR said to have Plano cover it. Right...... they don't carry walkies.

I'll have to double check, but you only get breaks if scheduled 3 1/2 hours or more. Since the flow team that day only worked 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 hours, they weren't owed a break.

I'll have to double check, but you only get breaks if scheduled 3 1/2 hours or more. Since the flow team that day only worked 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 hours, they weren't owed a break.
Scheduled four hours, worked 3 and a half

Sorry, didn't see the five originally, only 6am.

This shouldn't vary since it's a Target thing, but it's 4 hours. Pretty dirty to send them home at 3.75, but that's how it goes.

It's also bullshit that they scheduled you 6.5 hours, unless you're in a 5-hour state which I don't think you are since you took a 15 at 4.75.

Last edited:
My store is by no means shady about any of the break guidelines - everyone gets their breaks, everyone including backroom gets a complete daily schedule with set breaks and meals. We usually do wait until Autos are complete before the backroom takes their first break, though, and I believe it is a motivational thing coming down from the leaders. If we just have a few more pulls to go, the team lead can say, "Let's hustle and get done so we can go to break!" as well as the fact that a lot of the team members grab a bunch of food, cram themselves full, and come back all slow and sluggish after break (actually pretty funny to watch now that I'm now longer part of that team.)

As far as I know it's not breaking any Target policy as long as you get your breaks in reasonable time and don't break any compliance regulations; the posted sheet with meal and break guidelines is just a strong recommendation as far as I know, not compliance guidelines.

Out of curiosity while we're on a break-related thread, has anyone ever gotten in trouble for skipping a break? I know it usually goes the other way - I've seen people coached for taking a long break or extra break, and I know you're supposedly required to take your breaks as mandated by your leadership and the length of your shift, just curious if missing or intentionally skipping a break gets enforced at all.

Out of curiosity while we're on a break-related thread, has anyone ever gotten in trouble for skipping a break?
I know it usually goes the other way - I've seen people coached for taking a long break or extra break, and I know you're supposedly required to take your breaks as mandated by your leadership and the length of your shift, just curious if missing or intentionally skipping a break gets enforced at all.

/me raises his hand.
But I'd been doing it for a very long time and it was only after they decided they needed something to go after me for.

Heh, damn @commiecorvus because usually I agree with everything you say...I'd rather not get coached for skipping breaks, but I've been skipping one or both of my 15's for a year and a half because they're so freaking boring and I have things to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back