Becoming a TL

Our store lost two TLs recently.

One quit without another job lined up and another is transferring to another store to become a TM.

They promoted an experienced TM to be one of the be a new TL.

However I found it perplexing that she would even want the job because of chronic under staffing which I am sure will get worse after Target announced their sales decline.

Thoughts.

Last edited:
Money is a motivator
Very true though I am sure she took whatever the minimum TL pay is now.

In general I think people that haven't looked for a different position in years don't negotiate pay at all.

She did mention that she would give a try for a while.

At least she is starting well before fourth quarter to get her feet wet.

Maybe our tl s will be next for setting dollar spot pog then immediately walking out with every one of the cutest ghost pillow s we ever sold. One by one they come through SCO and laughing out the door carrying their cute pillow. Cleaned out the shelf completely. One tl came with theirs from receiving...

Maybe our tl s will be next for setting dollar spot pog then immediately walking out with every one of the cutest ghost pillow s we ever sold. One by one they come through SCO and laughing out the door carrying their cute pillow. Cleaned out the shelf completely. One tl came with theirs from receiving...
Let the firing begin, starting with the one who brought theirs out from receiving…

I am hearing now a that someone from my department is being promoted one of those TLs.

I can't think of worse choice of someone to make a TL.

The thing he works in the morning now so half the TMs have no idea who he is so this should be fun.

PS I hope enjoys doing OPUs and getting carts like all the other TLs!

I am hearing now a that someone from my department is being promoted one of those TLs.

I can't think of worse choice of someone to make a TL.

The thing he works in the morning now so half the TMs have no idea who he is so this should be fun.

PS I hope enjoys doing OPUs and getting carts like all the other TLs!
Out of curiosity, what makes them a poor choice?

Out of curiosity, what makes them a poor choice?
I was wrong and it wasn't the TM they are promoting that I thought.

However they did promote a TM that used to be a TL in the past and stepped down to a TM a few years ago.

Actually that new TL was married to my old TL from a few years ago who left Spot.

So my store was basically lazy and promoted the first TM that wanted to take the job!

I was wrong and it wasn't the TM they are promoting that I thought.

However they did promote a TM that used to be a TL in the past and stepped down to a TM a few years ago.

Actually that new TL was married to my old TL from a few years ago who left Spot.

So my store was basically lazy and promoted the first TM that wanted to take the job!
Were you involved in the interview process? Do you know if/how many others they looked at? Were they a good TL before? Did they step down on good terms?
Respectfully, there's a lot that goes on behind the scenes that you probably don't know about. And frankly, it seems like the rumors aren't quite accurate anyways. Take it all with a heavy grain of salt.

Were you involved in the interview process? Do you know if/how many others they looked at? Were they a good TL before? Did they step down on good terms?
Respectfully, there's a lot that goes on behind the scenes that you probably don't know about. And frankly, it seems like the rumors aren't quite accurate anyways. Take it all with a heavy grain of salt.
Valid points though I would Target would have a "pipeline" for potential TLs with the district set up to fill open positions.

It is possible that everyone else they asked in the store turned it down due to our chronic understaffing.

Valid points though I would Target would have a "pipeline" for potential TLs with the district set up to fill open positions.

It is possible that everyone else they asked in the store turned it down due to our chronic understaffing.
Of course, you're always going to have potential candidates already lined up in the event of someone leaving, terminated, etc. Sound business practice.

I interviewed almost a year ago and was told there weren't any positions open due to the high retention we have. No one in the entire leadership has changed in almost 2 years IIRC, other than changing departments. (I take that back, one Inbound ETL was termed).

Biding time until.

Of course, you're always going to have potential candidates already lined up in the event of someone leaving, terminated, etc. Sound business practice.

I interviewed almost a year ago and was told there weren't any positions open due to the high retention we have. No one in the entire leadership has changed in almost 2 years IIRC, other than changing departments. (I take that back, one Inbound ETL was termed).

Biding time until.
Must be nice my store has changed every leadership position in the last 2 years except me, one other gmtl, the closing tl, and hr etl. Previous to that we have had changed hr 3 times in the 4 years prior. I'm now on my 4th ssetl in 2 years.

Must be nice my store has changed every leadership position in the last 2 years except me, one other gmtl, the closing tl, and hr etl. Previous to that we have had changed hr 3 times in the 4 years prior. I'm now on my 4th ssetl in 2 years.
Yeah, our store is probably an anomaly, out of the norm for sure. We're a bunch of nuts and that's why I love it. People are happy and content where they are in life for the most part, and go the extra mile to support the people they work for.

In a related matter the two TLs that left were African American Women so much much for promoting store leadership diversity.

It might be awful, but if you were gonna be a TM anyway, might as well pocket some extra change and a better title for future jobs
You could always pocket that extra change, interview for a better job then walk out the door.

I always thought it would be funny if a TL got a job offer starting the beginning of January then quit Target right before the holidays to go somewhere else.

Back