Archived Becoming an AP

Status
Not open for further replies.
More and more I see AP doing things I could see myself doing (undercover, examine camera's, etc)

I talked to an AP once at my store briefly and they said something about having a 4-year degree so he could be able to handcuff people, and can physically go after a shoplifter.

Then he mentioned that there's (If I remember correctly) 2 levels in AP. He said the first level anyone can really enter it, just basic non physical work where as the second level you get full action. He said he went to 4 years of college for it?

What degree, requirements, and education would you need for AP?

Criminal justice is the most likely degree. It comes in two year associates and a four year bachelor's. Based on the people I've seen do it none of that is necessary or required though. Or even a background in security work.

Target does not require a degree for that position. He may be a college grad hoping to be ETL so they put him as a Sr.TPS to prove himself or he may have just happen to get promoted when he got the degree. If you do get a degree, Target literally does not care if it is in underwater basket weaving or engineering. My STL has no degree and the best ETL has a photography degree. I will be graduating with a criminal justice degree and it will get me no further than the photography degree. Show interest by talking to the ETL-AP and other leadership for developmental opportunities, obviously none will be with AP because it is a different level and side of the store.

Target does not require a degree for that position. He may be a college grad hoping to be ETL so they put him as a Sr.TPS to prove himself or he may have just happen to get promoted when he got the degree. If you do get a degree, Target literally does not care if it is in underwater basket weaving or engineering. My STL has no degree and the best ETL has a photography degree. I will be graduating with a criminal justice degree and it will get me no further than the photography degree. Show interest by talking to the ETL-AP and other leadership for developmental opportunities, obviously none will be with AP because it is a different level and side of the store.

Does not require a degree? But the AP here can carry handcuffs and can physically go after others..I'm a cart attendant and I'm sure I can't just be trained by him if I was to follow that path so like is Criminal 4 year degree pretty much would be the degree for this position?

Does not require a degree? But the AP here can carry handcuffs and can physically go after others..I'm a cart attendant and I'm sure I can't just be trained by him if I was to follow that path so like is Criminal 4 year degree pretty much would be the degree for this position?

It's not required at all. I carry cuffs but cannot apprehend on my own because I'm not a sr. I will have a degree in May and it wouldn't change my status at all if I didn't have my ETL position

It's not required at all. I carry cuffs but cannot apprehend on my own because I'm not a sr. I will have a degree in May and it wouldn't change my status at all if I didn't have my ETL position

And to be a Sr..you have to do what?

1) You don't need a degree. It helps to have a degree to be promoted to APTL and then you it's HIGHLY suggested to have a degree as a ETL-AP. It doesn't matter what it is in though. I have a degree in teaching. I was a teacher for 4 months and absolutely hated it. At the time I was a bouncer as a second job and really loved security. I moved into several positions and then found Target.

2) List
- TPS -- Low man on the totem pole, just stands at the door. Some carry cuffs (usually ones in bad stores) but they can't apprehend without a Sr. TPS, APTL, ETL-AP initiating it.

- APS (This position is being cut country wide, but it's undercover) I never have these guys do anything but radio it out. I don't want the people to know who my undercover is.

- Sr. TPS -- TPS who can apprehend

- APTL -- AP Team Leader, runs the team if the ETL-AP position doesn't exist in the store. Basically a ETL-AP without the ETL part

- ETL-AP. A ETL (so you have to run the store) and a AP Leader.

3) The best way for you to get into AP is express interest to your store and keep a eye on other stores for TPS transfers. You can move up without the degree via merit, but Target really likes those degrees.

1) You don't need a degree. It helps to have a degree to be promoted to APTL and then you it's HIGHLY suggested to have a degree as a ETL-AP. It doesn't matter what it is in though. I have a degree in teaching. I was a teacher for 4 months and absolutely hated it. At the time I was a bouncer as a second job and really loved security. I moved into several positions and then found Target.

2) List
- TPS -- Low man on the totem pole, just stands at the door. Some carry cuffs (usually ones in bad stores) but they can't apprehend without a Sr. TPS, APTL, ETL-AP initiating it.

- APS (This position is being cut country wide, but it's undercover) I never have these guys do anything but radio it out. I don't want the people to know who my undercover is.

- Sr. TPS -- TPS who can apprehend

- APTL -- AP Team Leader, runs the team if the ETL-AP position doesn't exist in the store. Basically a ETL-AP without the ETL part

- ETL-AP. A ETL (so you have to run the store) and a AP Leader.

3) The best way for you to get into AP is express interest to your store and keep a eye on other stores for TPS transfers. You can move up without the degree via merit, but Target really likes those degrees.

I looked and looked around and couldn't a clearer answer until I read this. I appreciate this so much. Amazing info. Thank you. If anyone else has any other info or any of sort feel free to post some that'd also be greatly appreciated!

At target, they don't care what you have a college degree in, as long as you have a degree.
Does anyone know what you have to produce to show them you have a degree?
Do they want your transcripts or do they want you to show them your degree, because everyone carries that in their wallet with their license don't they?

@Wizard89 do you know the procedure for internal transfers to AP? (ex. Background checks, drug tests, physical, etc).

Internal Transfers are fun and really depend on the store, AP team, APBP, ETL-HR

Background Checks
- Shouldn't really run another one on you. Unless your shady as hell or NOBODY knows who you are. I ran one on a possible internal transfer and found he had a few misdemeanors that were new since he was hired in the backroom (I had a police officer do it tho, Target's aren't this intense) but it was enough for me to veto him.

Drug Test
- Target can't MAKE you take another one unless there is a accident or enough proof (showing up late, lazy as @#$* etc..). I know plenty of AP guys who smoked a little pot on the side but for the most part I find that AP members are usually straight. Especially since we are dealing hands on with people. God forbid a apprehension went wrong and you went to far (kicked a dude in the face) and the police bring you in for assault and take some blood to test for drugs. Then all of a sudden you pop for speed or something.

Physical
- Target can't make you take a physical. Do I recommend being in shape? Yes lol

Doesn't AP require a State issued Guard Card? :confused:

That's for sure a mug shot, fingerprinting, and a FBI background check in my state.

I ask because I know of a TM that is thinking of applying for a opening (TPS) at a neighboring store. One of the best workers in the store but I know he would fail if he had to test again. My advice to him was to lay off the green, but would suck for him to lose the promotion and his current position.

At target, they don't care what you have a college degree in, as long as you have a degree.
Does anyone know what you have to produce to show them you have a degree?
Do they want your transcripts or do they want you to show them your degree, because everyone carries that in their wallet with their license don't they?

I have a friend who photographed his degree, put his business card on the other side and laminated it.
He likes to whip it out as a joke when he gets into arguments at parties.

His degree is in Philosophy so I'm not sure if he really wins or just makes people feel sorry for him.

If your state requires a Security Guard License then Target will send you to the 8 / 16 / 8 Hour Course(s) for free. Generally someone in the company is state certified to teach the class. Its actually great because Target will pay for that, the fingerprinting, and the fee. With that license you can go work a second job in security if you wanted. I already had my license when they hired me and was still working as a bouncer several places. When we were light on staff I would call in other AP people for a night.

Doesn't AP require a State issued Guard Card? :confused:

That's for sure a mug shot, fingerprinting, and a FBI background check in my state.

Depends on the state. If the state requires it, then yes. But like Wiz said, Target pays for it. Really Target pays for all of the training, uniforms (if that's your position), reimbursed you for travel, etc. It's a pretty sweet gig.

Agree with everything Wiz said. AP can be difficult to get into, but the entry level part (TPS) doesn't require a degree. For leadership hourly positions (Sr TPS/APL/APTL) they are really looking for promotable people, which generally means someone in college or with a degree. ETL-AP I can't imagine them hiring someone without a college degree in this day and age (pretty sure all new ETLs, of any kind, need a Bachelors), but who knows what one particular district may do.

The "difficult" part of getting into AP is impressing the people in charge (your store's AP leader, STL, and possibly district AP or higher) and making them believe you can do the job while making wise business decisions and protecting Target's brand. This isn't like cashiering or flow where they are just looking for a warm body. You need to have more than just good attendance to get into AP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back