Archived Being an ETL sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before you sign your life away... - https://www.thebreakroom.org/threads/before-you-sign-your-life-away.171/#post-1298
FYI- Most ETLs don't leave b/c of they pay. They leave b/c what is expected of them vs what they are told to expect as an "assistant store manager" differ. If you like work/life balance, an ETL position is not for you.
Yes that is generally true. The thing is, most new ETLs get put into a position without any idea what they are doing. The general process goes like this...
1 - Recruited and told about AMAZING opportunity being an Executive
2 - Hired and put through "business college" where you are shown an ideal situation of the area you are training
3 - Report to your store, spend 6 months "getting to know" the team, area, your leadership style etc...
4 - Your STL tells you the area is not performing, and that is when you know the honeymoon phase is over
5- New ETL scrambles to find solutions they are ill-equipped to solve and burns out

Now, if you know what you are doing this entire thing is avoided. Depending on the area, it is possible to achieve a solid work-life balance.

Rock Lobster

Target goes through a ton of ETL's and a ton of HR's lol. My store usually gets a new HR every year because they leave for a better job. Our third to last HR got yelled at because she was trying to get HR paperwork done instead of being on the floor and helping out.

Oh you went to college and got a degree? Think as an HR or ETL you'll be doing important paperwork, looking over the store, managing everyone, keeping everything running smooth while not getting dirty? Yea nope. You'll sometimes be working 12 hour days, you'll be pushing the truck when flow is out of hours, you'll be pulling Plano batches, and anything else needed when there's no hours since your salary. Yea your 50k salary sounded amazing but don't ever go home and factor out how much you're making per hour with how many hours you're working.

I think the ETLs at my store have pretty cushy jobs. They don't seem miserable or stressed out at all, in fact they obviously enjoy themselves way more than regular TMs do. Most of the time they can be seen standing around talking and laughing or chowing down on takeout from Red Robin in the break room. They do way less than we do for way more money. Yes they work 10+ hours a day, but that money tho.

If I were offered the job and could stay at this store I'd probably do it. The cost of living in my state is absurdly low, so $50K a year here puts you comfortably in the middle class.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back