Archived Being Asked to Do Other Jobs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question about being asked to do jobs or work centers that aren't yours or you are uncomfortable doing or just plain don't want to do. For example a co-worker of mine is hardlines but crosstrained for guest services. Whenever she agrees to work a guest service shift there is one LOD in particular that will pull her and make her work hardlines instead. She gets very upset but this particular LOD is the STL. Is that allowed? Are you allowed to refuse?

Another problem is that the shift she is covering is a closing shift and it usually leaves the front end shorthanded so that he can have his way. I know personally how frustrated I get if I come to work expecting to do one thing and being told that I have to do something else.

Another example is if the cart attendant calls out. Sometimes the LOD will demand that I tell a cashier that they have to then push carts. I always ask because that's not their job. It's not what they signed up for nor is it what they are being paid to do. But I feel there is always that expectation that they have to do it because that's what the LOD at the time wants.

That sucks that your STL is pulling the guest services person. But it's a feather in her cap if she just smiles and says "yes." She could say no, but then she could find her work centers, and thus hours, reduced.

As for the carts issue, the only people who get out of getting carts at my store are the little old ladies and those with a doctor's excuse. Everyone else is fair game. I don't mind asking the cashiers to get carts. If they don't, that means I have to. And I physically cannot spend an entire shift in the lot without paying for it the next day.

If you refuse, isn't that technically insubordination? I think it's BS that he's pulling her (unless there's still coverage AND GS doesn't get behind in anything without her there), but there's not much you can do.

If you refuse, isn't that technically insubordination? I think it's BS that he's pulling her (unless there's still coverage AND GS doesn't get behind in anything without her there), but there's not much you can do.

I think so. I understand where the TM would be coming from, but I think it's insubordination to tell the LOD they're not going to do a task that's asked of them, within reason.

When I was working softlines at my first store, I was asked to do carts a few times (the entire shift), and by the third time I told them I would obviously keep doing it but I did not prefer it at all. It worked. I didn't disobey any orders but they listened to my request in the future. A lot of times it's how you say something rather than what you say. I could have copped an attitude and said I wasn't doing it (not saying your co-worker is doing that) but I knew that wouldn't work well.

They can pretty much ask you to do anything they want within reason.
Your reaction will make a difference as to how you are treated in the future.
Whining and bitching rarely makes bosses want to promote or work with you again.
If you act in a positive, forceful, cheerful manner like it's something that you know will pass but you're going to do the best damn job possible, not only will the work go by quickly but the boss will realize that you probably don't really want to be there.

When I first started working for Target, I witnessed an LOD fire a team member for insubordination. He was scheduled for a cashier shift, but was also a fully trained cart attendant. Well, our cart attendant called out so the LOD asked him to push carts. He refused saying it was too hot out. The LOD asked again, he refused saying he did not want to push carts. LOD asked again, warning him his job could be in jeopardy for insubordination. LOD asked a final time (4x total), he said no, and she said ok, clock out for the day, you're fired.

I usually asked people if they were okay pushing carts. If they didn't want to, I didn't press it. Usually I'd find someone willing though :)

When I first started working for Target, I witnessed an LOD fire a team member for insubordination. He was scheduled for a cashier shift, but was also a fully trained cart attendant. Well, our cart attendant called out so the LOD asked him to push carts. He refused saying it was too hot out. The LOD asked again, he refused saying he did not want to push carts. LOD asked again, warning him his job could be in jeopardy for insubordination. LOD asked a final time (4x total), he said no, and she said ok, clock out for the day, you're fired.

I hope that tm fights it.

I hope that tm fights it.

Not sure if he can fight it... Maybe if he wasn't trained on carts he could challenge the decision based on safety, but it sounds like he was a fully trained cart attendant and was being insubordinate to the LOD.

On a related side note.... the more jobs you learn how to do the more likely you are to get the hours for this very reason. LODs cannot predict what their shifts will look like with coverage. There is always that one or two who will call out for the day or NCNS. When that happens they rely on those TMs with training in multiple areas to help cover the positions vacant. I was once scheduled a mid to closing on the sales floor and asked to push CAFs and do HL go backs. I was halfway into my shift when the closing FRO called off. Since I was the only one on the floor at the time with FRO training they immediately called me on the walkie and asked me to switch to FRO and I did. I find that those TMs who do NOT want to do anything other than the ONE job they were hired for end up finding they're hours cut drastically during the slow periods. The fact is that your ETL has so many hours for sales floor and so many hours for HL/SL and if it's SL ... so many hours for FRO and HL...so many hours for Electronic/Market. The more areas they can put you into the more hours you will get.

I find it annoying myself to come in thinking I will be doing one job and finding myself redirected to another but I always go willingly because we're supposed to be a team and that means that we do what we can to help fill the gaps.

This is retail. You need to do whatever the store requires of you. My workcenter may be pricing but I also push truck, get carts, cashier, work on pog, push pulls, reshop, salesfloor, etc...all while being scheduled on pricing. You have to be flexible and willing to do whatever they need you to do. The more you are willing to help out, the more hours you will (most likely) get.

I find it annoying myself to come in thinking I will be doing one job and finding myself redirected to another but I always go willingly because we're supposed to be a team and that means that we do what we can to help fill the gaps.

If I'm scheduled to cash, I have no problem with getting pulled to do something else. :D I'd rather do re-shop, CAFs, P-Fresh push, even give the cart attendant a hand (depending on the weather). It keeps things interesting.

I've been in as many a 4 different areas in a day. Helps me pick up hrs during the lean times.
After an ETL learned how many areas I was proficient in, he asked if there was anything I COULDN'T do.
I said: "Playing bagpipes while skateboarding."

If it's within their paygrade then their isn't much to complain about unless it's something where there are physical issues to resolve. Broken arm? Tell the LoD to get bent about pushing carts, etc. Meth addict guest? I don't feel like getting stabbed, just call the cops.

I have pushed back on doing jobs that are in higher pg positions unless it's just a once in a while thing simply because it's nice to get a break from the normal routine.

I've done carts once, reshop when not on HL, I've done the electronics scan back (doing it again too), I helped set a revision while in market one day, I'll jump in & help with CAFs if backroom is running behind. I have no issue jumping in & helping out as long as I'm asked to do so. If I'm told "hey you need to do this" I'm like ok, justify it. If my TL or ETL comes to me and says hey, I need you to do this for reason xyz, I say ok I'll do my best to get that all done.

Not sure why that is such a big deal. At my store everyone gets moved around daily. Honestly that is why I feel like we have such an awesome store. To me it's like watching the front lanes and having 5 cashiers standing around while we are drowning in re-shop and then the SF team leaving late because of it. What is wrong with taking a cashier or two and having them work on it for the rest of the day and answering backup calls as necessary. "Team work makes the dream work."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back