Archived Bereavement

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently lost a child and I've been out of work for a couple of weeks. I'm part time. I've been with Spot since July 2017. However I don't think I'm entitled to bereavement pay. I've gotten absences for all the days I've missed. I've spoken with my STL and he told me to take the time I need. Will I be flagged for termination once I go back to work?

You get three days even if you are part time and have been with the company more than 6 months. If you need more just let your store know.

Communication is key so they can get your shifts covered. They won't fire you for it as long as you communicate

I haven't been with the company 6 months. I'm just concerned about keeping my job. I've been communicating with my STL. I hope that means I won't get fired.

I haven't been with the company 6 months. I'm just concerned about keeping my job. I've been communicating with my STL. I hope that means I won't get fired.

You may not get the pay but no they won't fire you. You're out of your 90 days right?

If I am entitled to bereavement pay...does HR automatically put it in for me or am I responsible? I haven't been to work in almost 3 weeks

If I am entitled to bereavement pay...does HR automatically put it in for me or am I responsible? I haven't been to work in almost 3 weeks

They should but you can double check if you are eligible by calling the store

I can't imagine your pain right now.
Keep your store updated on your status, how long you might need, when you're ready to approach them, etc.
As long as someone in HR or your ETL is in the loop, you should be OK.

From another thread:
Speak with your ETL-HR. You should be able to get time off with no repercussions

Download the 2017 Time Off Program Guide (Go to the Target Pay and Benefits Website --> Login --> Go to Health & Insurance tab --> Click on Time Off under Summary Plan Descriptions/Plan Guidelines --> Click on Time Off Program Guide for Non Exempt TM --> PDF guide will open).

Scroll to page 19 of this guide:

Unpaid bereavement time and extended time off.
Team members who are not eligible for [bereavement] pay, or who need extended time off, are eligible for unpaid time off. If this time exceeds 3 scheduled days for DC Team members or 7 calendar days for all other team members, this would be requested as a Personal Leave of Absence. The length of unpaid Personal Leave of Absence for purposes of bereavement/funeral time is determined and approved by the team member's leader and HR partner. (See LOA Guidelines for additional details on Target’s Personal Leave of Absence). Team members in Oregon may be eligible under the Oregon Family Leave Act for bereavement purposes. Team members should contact the Target Leave and Disability team.

(Just in case you cannot download this guide, I have cited the paragraph for you.)

If they won't allow you the time off or write you up for needing to attend a funeral, cite this paragraph from the Time Off Guide.

Edit: Here is some info about Paid Bereavement Time Off as well...
  • Non-exempt store team members with average hours of 20 or more are eligible for bereavement pay from the first full pay period after the first of the month following 6 full months of service.
  • In the event of a death in the immediate family, up to 3 scheduled days is paid time.
    • Immediate Family:
      • Spouse/domestic partner/common-law spouse in locations that recognize common law marriage
      • Parent: biological, adopted, step, mother/father-in-law
      • Child: biological, adopted, foster, step, son/daughter-in-law, legal ward, domestic partner biological/adopted child
      • Brother/Sister: step, half, brother/sister-in-law
      • Grandparent/Grandchild
      • Stillborn: mother or biological father of stillborn child at 20 weeks of gestation or greater
      • Aunt/Uncle
      • Niece/Nephew
  • In the event of a death of a close friend or distant relative, up to 4 hours is paid time.
    • Distant Relative:
      • Grandparent-in-law
      • Aunt/Uncle-in-law
      • Cousin
      • Great-grandparent
      • Step-grandparent
    • Note: Team members are limited to 4 paid events in a rolling 24-month period for distant family/close friend. Additional time off needed for such events will be unpaid.
  • Proof is not required to receive bereavement pay or unpaid time. However, Target reserves the right to request appropriate documentation.
Thanks
Hrlady

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back