Archived Best reasons you've been given for quitting...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a 2 day newbie call and quit because "too much was going on in her personal life". My response?- Are you being serious right now or am I on punk'd? She was serious....

What are some of the insane reasons you've heard actually given?

Favorites I have heard more than once: feeling "harassed" (aka told what to do by TLs), too strenuous work (for logistics - what don't like a little exercise?) and the job "wasn't what they imagined" (you mean, work?).

My favorite is when under performing TMs get canned for generally slacking off/bad attendance and their PARENT calls to ask for their job back or demands to know why their child was fired when he is 'the hardest worker you ever had'. Insert laugh here!

The majority of our team doesn't give a notice of any kind. They just walk out midshift and don't come back..

In my team.... we were joking about how my supervisor puts the 2 new guys to unload the truck and never came back after the day. But in my store, a lot of new team members quit because they don't get enough hours.

Lately, at my store we have been getting a lot of cashiers that have just been walking out and quitting or they're saying that the demand for redcards is unrealistic. I also know the GSTL say that they get coached/ terminated for not talking up the red-card everytime. which i thought you only ask when prompted..

Had a CA walk out at the beginning of summer because he didn't like doing 'grunt work'.
At summer's end he came up & asked me if he could get his job back. I just laughed.
I said if it was up to me, I'd say HELL NO but he was welcome to put in an application.
He fidgeted a bit then left.

One of our softlines team members quit because she felt like she was being harassed. When asked for specifics she said "During my evaluation they told me what I was doing right and what I was doing wrong (wins and opportunities) and the bad things really hurt my feelings." I was in that meeting and trust me, we sugar coated the opportunities. Clearly she couldn't talk feedback!

We had somebody just walkout out without telling anybody on Black Friday.

We had a team member that quit because "it was nice outside".
A few team members and I were talking about how nice the weather was.
We all wished to be outside and enjoying the day, instead of being at Target.
This specific team member got carried away and wouldn't stop talking about it. Her last words were
"Wouldn't it be awesome if we could just quit and go outside?" She never came back.

Another team member quit because her husband got a promotion. Her husband also works
at Target and he literally went from a Service Desk TM to a GSA. So those extra ~50 cents will be making a huge difference.

We also had a team member quit because "my parents are rich and I don't even need to work."
Those were her exact words. Her dad was some rich guy and promised to give her money, as long as she was working.
She never cashed in her checks and she had to talk to HR because her checks had expired. Another team member
kept contact with her and apparently the kept her last few checks as mementos, instead of cashing them in.

Happened to witness our ETL-HR rescind an offer when a new hire attempted to restrict her avail because of her 'other' job.
ETL reminded her that she was hired based on her open avail & the newb said "Well yeah but you're not gonna schedule me all those times, right?"
The ETL explained to her about avail meaning in regards to store needs as opposed to her own.
When the newb continued to argue the point, the ETL rescinded the offer.
This happened right after orientation.

Favorites I have heard more than once: feeling "harassed" (aka told what to do by TLs), too strenuous work (for logistics - what don't like a little exercise?) and the job "wasn't what they imagined" (you mean, work?).

My favorite is when under performing TMs get canned for generally slacking off/bad attendance and their PARENT calls to ask for their job back or demands to know why their child was fired when he is 'the hardest worker you ever had'. Insert laugh here!

We actually had a TM termed by AP and arrested by the cops about 10 minutes to close one night. (had been stealing for a few weeks)

The dad actually showed up to the store about 20 mins after we closed and came in through the front doors. (Idiot LOD left the cart door unlocked) The dude went over to two cashiers still up front and started to ask for our "security guy". GSTL called the ETL-AP upfront along with our TPS. Guy instantly attacked them. Our ETL-AP and TPS pushed him out the cart door and locked it. Guy ran off after that.

Great shit right? Your kid gets caught stealing and you come to the store trying to attack AP.

This thread is kind of pointless. Retail is a dime a dozen job. The economy has gotten better to the point that you can pretty much get a job at any retail/food service place by simply walking in the door. In my city, there is not a store I go to anymore that doesn't have a "now hiring" sign out front.

Frankly, I don't think it's a big deal when a TM just walks out. It's near minimum wage job with no benefits. So what? It's definitely not the only minimum wage job out there. Now, if it was a TL or above, that's a little bit of a different story.

I think people are just a little more shocked that this is happening more now because people have been used to the recession where even minimum wage jobs were hard to come by. Fact is, that time is fast coming to an end now. If you had worked retail prior to the recession, you would know this is nothing new.

I remember a year or two before the recession when unemployment was ultra low, we would literally hire something like 15-20 new TMs *at one time* and about only two or three of them were still there one day after orientation. It seems to me (at least at my store) that we are pretty close to that again. Which is a good sign for the economy, anyway.

(Disclaimer: Yes, I realize that there are still a few areas around the country that haven't recovered from the recession and it's still not easy. So no need for the "Hey, I live in the middle of the ghetto in Detroit and no one has a job still!" posts. Yes, we know... but 90% of the country is much much better off than it was just two or so years ago on the employment front)

I lost one high school kid because his parents forced him to quit after making a B on a test.

I was pissed because he was one of the best TMs I had ever had.

1. I got a really better job than retail.

2. I have been passed over, as well as a number of other TMs, for external hires numerous times.

3. It took 3 years to get me off the FrontLanes/Food Ave to get to the floor. REALLY!!

4. You Execs have totally ignored my hardwork and top performance record.

5. You Execs have screwed me over since Day 1 since I transferred back.
- Did not complete my transfer properly and in a timely manner.
- Trumped up false or minor situations into a CA.

Last edited:
Werd to what @stateoftarget11 said. There's really little incentive to give a flying rats ass when, if the shoe was on the other foot, Target will get rid of you at the drop of a hat. I really like the "It's nice outside" reason as it shows just how little it takes to make one realize how crappy a job they have.

I hate to keep talking trash just because I left Target. I know some people either like or really need their Target job. My next job doesn't start for another month and I have been gone from Target about a month now. It was funny to see how my TL couldn't fathom why I wouldn't keep working at Target up until the last minute. When I don't really need the money why would I keep slaving away?

I actually saw him yesterday and asked "Any new people?" And big shocker, I've been gone less than a month and they've already had people hired and gone. Amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back